Games that upset you

On 24/06/2022 at 14:44, sexpistol said:

Is the very good Norwich side that got relegated alongside Sunderland the same season???

Yes, the same Norwich side that romped the second division the following season and then managed 3 top 5 finishes in the ensuing 6 seasons. Bit like us just a few years later under BFR.

On 24/06/2022 at 17:05, Emerson Thome said:

The 2-0 home loss to Wimbledon in the FA Cup Quarter Final in 1997 was a real missed opportunity.

The Top 4 (Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle) had all crashed out and so if we had won it would have been a semi-final against Chelsea, the only good team left in the tournament. Yes, they were better than us, but they only finished a couple of points above us in the league and that Booth, Hirst, Carbone team had only lost 1 in 19 in the league at that point (inc. a draw away at Chelsea) so could have been an opportunity for a smash and grab win to set up an FA Cup final against relegated Middlesbrough.

To make matters worse, Chelsea went on to win the Cup-WInners' Cup, just as Arsenal had done after beating us. 

4 hours ago, punkyhorrors said:

Place game when we went down to leauge one first time got so annoyed at that game 

That one didn't bother me so much, I thought we deserved relegation after an awful season and Palace were in a false position due to a points deduction.

On 27/06/2022 at 21:06, Miffed said:

Been thinking of less obvious ones and a game suddenly sprung to mind that I don’t think gets mentioned very often.

1994 League Cup semi final vs Man United. Trips to Wembley were almost starting to feel like a formality back then. We went to Old Trafford and lost 1-0, only conceding from a bad back pass by Nillson, in similar fashion to the Hutchinson error at Sunderland. 

Going into the second leg at home, it felt like we were definitely still in the tie.  Memory might fail me but I seem to remember there had been heavy snow and a threat that the game might be called off, in the end we would end up wishing it was. I also seem to remember it was shown live in ITV, they even played the ITV Football theme over the speakers in the ground. 

In the end we got spanked 4-1 

I don’t know if that was the most disappointing part or whether it felt like 

game where had things turned out differently a Wembley final may have brought another trophy and who knows what beyond that 

In the end, we were never really in it and Man United went on to lose to Villa in the final 

I think the game was postponed a week or so due to snow. Wasn't that also the game when at 1-1 we had a corner at the Lep and 6 seconds later the ball was in our net at the kop end? Kanchelskis and Giggs? Or probably Hughes.

I remember coming out the ground thinking our glory days at Wembley were probably over. Three years earlier we were the better team in the final but their team improved, ours was probably weaker than 91 and had no pace.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 15:05, Emerson Thome said:

The 2-0 home loss to Wimbledon in the FA Cup Quarter Final in 1997 was a real missed opportunity.

The Top 4 (Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle) had all crashed out and so if we had won it would have been a semi-final against Chelsea, the only good team left in the tournament. Yes, they were better than us, but they only finished a couple of points above us in the league and that Booth, Hirst, Carbone team had only lost 1 in 19 in the league at that point (inc. a draw away at Chelsea) so could have been an opportunity for a smash and grab win to set up an FA Cup final against relegated Middlesbrough.

A bog standard Everton team had won the cup a couple of years previously, so the idea of Peter Atherton lifting the FA Cup isn't as fanciful as it sounds!

It's funny but I'd never realised this missed opportunity (thanks Emerson!). It was a poor game but I don't recall the lack of quality teams left in the draw.

Same type of thing happened in 94, we draw at Chelsea and the winner is drawn to play Leeds or Oxford away. Leeds lose at home to 3rd division Oxford. Then its 2nd (or even 3rd) division Wolves at home in the quarter finals and then West Ham or Luton in the semi. 2nd division Luton win the replay so it's almost a bye to the final. I was really nicked off coming out of the Chelsea game having lost after a poor performance, only to feel worse that Leeds had lost and we had an easy (ish) 5th round match

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 12:25, PARKOWL said:

Charlton in the FA cup when we knew a win would give us the pigs in the quarter finals 

This is definitely a big one. It seemed on form that a win was likely and then we only has a third division team between us an Wembley. 

Beating the Pigs, albeit a weakened one, would have been a great way to secure what would then have been our first trip to the new Wembley.

If we beat Huddersfield in that away leg we’d have gone up. That was a very poor final. If Hooper was fit he’d have made the difference as him and Fletcher were on fire. Only time I’ve cried at football cos I knew it was the beginning of the end of that kinda era we were in.

And then the Derby relegation. We didn’t deserve to stay up. We rode our luck all season to take it somehow to the final game. And still we give fans enough hope throughout the game and go down by the finest margin. However, I stand by that it was probably a good thing and I’m genuinely enjoying the rebuild.

On 24/06/2022 at 12:25, PARKOWL said:

Charlton in the FA cup when we knew a win would give us the pigs in the quarter finals 

That game was awful.

Handball goal.

Their keeper had a worldy. 

Did we have a shot cleared off the line after a scramble?? 

And I’m sure we also had another goal bound shot blocked by our own player who had fallen over. 

It was just never meant to happen

The PO final didn’t bother me as such. Was a great season. Unexpectedly at Wembley.

And was a Great day out ruined by 90 minutes of us not even mustering a shot on target 😂 - if we were ever in the game I’d have been more gutted but Hull had us on toast and should have won by 2 or 3.

• Like 1