Games that upset you

Guest Jack the Hat
2 minutes ago, Avonowl said:

The 3-3 away at Derby the year we got relegated from the prem when we were 3-1 up with barely any time left but still managed to throw it away. Totally pathetic the way we messed that up and we never recovered. Since then we've maintained the awful habit of conceding late goals, like a curse that's yet to be lifted, although you could argue that started in the '93 replay.

You are right pal. That was the start of the rot. That game effectively relegated us although actual relegation came after losing a 3 goal lead at arsenal a few week later but the derby game was the killer. 

3 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

You are right pal. That was the start of the rot. That game effectively relegated us although actual relegation came after losing a 3 goal lead at arsenal a few week later but the derby game was the killer. 

It was a vision of our future in one 5 minute spell. Everything that was wrong with us back then, i.e buying poor players, buying injury prone players, conceding late goals, appointing poor managers, not seeing important games out, etc etc we never learnt from. We just carried on doing it. 

4 hours ago, Since 1971 said:

Huddersfield finished the season with a minus 2 goal difference and didn't score a goal themselves in the play offs but still got promoted. Don't suppose that makes you feel any better....

I’m still not over it. 

My best mate is an Huddersfield fan and also all my wife’s family too so you can imagine how much stick i recieved and still do.

46 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Is the very good Norwich side that got relegated alongside Sunderland the same season???

The same sides that we weren't able to beat that season!

When we lose to another team, in hindsight often better than us, or due to our own faults, or lack of enthusiasm and endeavour, I can compartmentalise and deal with it.

When we lost to Villa a couple of years ago, with John Terry refereeing, Steve Bruce stopping the play to pat the referee on the head and have a laugh, and the cùnt Swarbrick, giving Villa an injury time penalty no one appealed for, my faith in what’s right in the game is shaken.

I left Hillsborough unable to comprehend what I’d witnessed. I honestly feel we were cheated that day and I think it’s the nadir of my time following Wednesday.

And, as is the law on Owlstalk, I have to mention that it’s been since ‘72….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Losing to Forest on April fools day was awful 7 1 , and the FA Cup Final replay all these years later I've only recently watched the highlights. 

And losing 5 0 to Norwich at home losing 4 0 at half time but with only ten men Mclaren Crap player Sent off on a bitterly cold day .

Oh and that game against Everton huge  crowd huge let down 5 0 at half time.

God I could go on but lots of happy memories too

15 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

More angry than upset but remember a

game at Highfield Road in the premier league relegation season 

A must win game and we completely capitulated 

Lost 4-1 and one of the first time I heard the chant “you’re not fit to wear the shirt”

Agree with this one. Absolutely pathetic that day against a crap Coventry side.

7 hours ago, Brookhouse1867 said:

When we lose to another team, in hindsight often better than us, or due to our own faults, or lack of enthusiasm and endeavour, I can compartmentalise and deal with it.

When we lost to Villa a couple of years ago, with John Terry refereeing, Steve Bruce stopping the play to pat the referee on the head and have a laugh, and the cùnt Swarbrick, giving Villa an injury time penalty no one appealed for, my faith in what’s right in the game is shaken.

I left Hillsborough unable to comprehend what I’d witnessed. I honestly feel we were cheated that day and I think it’s the nadir of my time following Wednesday.

And, as is the law on Owlstalk, I have to mention that it’s been since ‘72….

More fuming than upset that day.

Walked out feeling totally wronged and still to this day can't believe nowt was done about that refereeing performance 

13 hours ago, Avonowl said:

The 3-3 away at Derby the year we got relegated from the prem when we were 3-1 up with barely any time left but still managed to throw it away. Totally pathetic the way we messed that up and we never recovered. Since then we've maintained the awful habit of conceding late goals, like a curse that's yet to be lifted, although you could argue that started in the '93 replay.

4 hours ago, vulva said:

The Derby game away 3-3. It was over 20 years ago and we still haven’t recovered. 

13 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

This game ^^^^^

It was only early Feb (I know this as my birthday was the following day) but it knocked stuffing out of us and I believe sent us down. The amount of games we conceded late on after that

Watford 88 mins

Villa 90 mins

Sunderland 86, 90

Arsenal 78,79

3 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

More fuming than upset that day.

Walked out feeling totally wronged and still to this day can't believe nowt was done about that refereeing performance 

The bit that flabbergasted me was when the “referee” (Swarbrick, not John Terry…) stopped play down by the Leppings Lane end, near to the North corner, trotted over to the opposition’s technical area, seemed to share some witticism with Steve Bruce. Bruce then patted him on the head and he ran back and restarted play with a Villa free kick?

I suppose secretly, when Bruce (eventually) joined us, I was looking forward to his “influence” working for us rather than against. Ah, what might have been before he went to walk the dog.

Been thinking of less obvious ones and a game suddenly sprung to mind that I don’t think gets mentioned very often.

1994 League Cup semi final vs Man United. Trips to Wembley were almost starting to feel like a formality back then. We went to Old Trafford and lost 1-0, only conceding from a bad back pass by Nillson, in similar fashion to the Hutchinson error at Sunderland. 

Going into the second leg at home, it felt like we were definitely still in the tie.  Memory might fail me but I seem to remember there had been heavy snow and a threat that the game might be called off, in the end we would end up wishing it was. I also seem to remember it was shown live in ITV, they even played the ITV Football theme over the speakers in the ground. 

In the end we got spanked 4-1 

I don’t know if that was the most disappointing part or whether it felt like 

game where had things turned out differently a Wembley final may have brought another trophy and who knows what beyond that 

In the end, we were never really in it and Man United went on to lose to Villa in the final 

• Like 1

Funnily enough it's 3 results against Derby...The 3-3, all the fans been ushered onto buses and seeing Wednesday fans fighting each.

0-3 at Pride Park under Dave Jones.  There was nothing there.  Tactics were give Reda the ball and hoof it.  We definatly hit a wall then and i'd had enough.

3-1 at home under Monk.  Pathetic, we surrended before kick off.  No desire, no energy and no hope.  18 months of turning into a crisis club.

• Like 1