Games that upset you

I've witnessed many games where  we've been trashed by better teams home and away, sometimes deserved, but there is one game that upset me the most and that was the 0-0 at Huddersfield in the play offs, they were there for the taking and we didn't have the balls to win it, would have made the home game a formality, who knows we could have won the final too, that's the game I wish we could play again, what's your game you'd like to see replayed again? 

Edited by Daniele Giovanni
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

I've witnessed many games where  we've been trashed by better teams home and away, sometimes deserved, but there is one game that upset me the most and that was the 0-0 at Huddersfield in the play offs, they were there for the taking and we didn't have the balls to win it, would have made the home game a formality, who knows we could have won the final too, that's the game I wish we could play again, what's your game you'd like to see replayed again? 

Charlton in the FA cup when we knew a win would give us the pigs in the quarter finals 

FA Cup final replay
Kaiserslautern 

Who knows what could have been had these results been different

Relegation against Forest - First time I cried watching Wednesday

The Hull play off final seemed to hurt all summer.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Miffed said:

FA Cup final replay
Kaiserslautern 

Who knows what could have been had these results been different

Relegation against Forest - First time I cried watching Wednesday

The Hull play off final seemed to hurt all summer.

I'm old enough to remember 66,my dad parked the car in Neasden 30 min walk to the ground, only to lose 3-2, my dad didn't speak all the way back to Sheffield 

• Like 3

Odd one this cos I’m 63 and seen a lot of throwaways, but one that still rankles more than it should is home v Millwall a few seasons ago. Needed a win, 1-0 up deep in stoppage time and got the ball in the corner. Somehow didn’t keep it or put it out, but let it get nicked of us, boom up field they go avoiding one lunging tackle, cross, tap in, 1-1. Still riles me typing this!

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

2 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Apologies, meant to add that the games I mentioned all felt like where the club finds its self right now could have been entirely different had we won / progressed from those games.

On a par with City and Liverpooooo......ooool as Jason Manford would say

2 minutes ago, Striggy said:

Odd one this cos I’m 63 and seen a lot of throwaways, but one that still rankles more than it should is home v Millwall a few seasons ago. Needed a win, 1-0 up deep in stoppage time and got the ball in the corner. Somehow didn’t keep it or put it out, but let it get nicked of us, boom up field they go avoiding one lunging tackle, cross, tap in, 1-1. Still riles me typing this!

fizz me there's loads of games

22 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

I think that's definitely with the benefit of hindsight, I don't recall too many people after the game being all that unhappy with a draw that effectively reduced a two leg play off semi-final to a one off home game.  I do agree that we should have gone for it more though.  I remember being fairly satisfied walking out after the game despite it being a pretty awful match, and overhearing a Huddersfield fan saying to his kid that they'd blown their big chance as there was no way they'd get a result at Hillsborough.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When we were going through our recent bad patch, pre-relegation. We were absolutely smashed 5-0 by Brentford away. I watched it with my dad and it was proper miserable viewing. 

It was that game that I realised just how bad the team moral was and quite how uninterested many of the players on that pitch were. It was awful. 

The only time I've cried at a match was the 93 final replay but that's obvious.

Slightly less obvious was Kaiserslautern away. Listening on the radio it sounded like the ref had robbed us by sending Hirst off and giving a dodgy penalty and afterwards I was absolutely fuming and had to go for a very long night-time walk to calm down.

The 1-6 home defeat to Leeds is another standout. It was on TV when TV games were a big event, my dad and uncle support Leeds, yorkshire derby, they had a bunch of ex-Wednesday heroes (Wilko, Sterland, Chapman & Shutt as I recall) and humiliated us on the day. Absolute pasting. 

And the Huddersfield home leg still wrankles with me now. Sure at the time we were the only team ever to get an away draw, take the lead at home and still not go through. Plus we'd done the double over them in the league and finished above them in the table, and they ended up winning the play-offs without scoring a single goal (just a Lees OG, plus two 0-0s and two wins on penalties). Every neutral at work wanted 'plucky' Huddersfield to win which riled me up more. Didn't got to Hillsborough for a while after that one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

If we had won that game I was booked to stay in the royal mews at Buckingham palace for the final. Fecking spineless gits.