David Stockdale

It's clever to get stock stockdale. At 37 he's a 1 season goalkeeper and in that time wjo knows how well Dawson has developed .... that's what I think there going with ... hoping Dawson in a year with a few games hear and there plus cup games will be ready 

• Like 3

Dawson and Stockdale should be enough at this level if we improve other key areas.

Would imagine BPFs wages were hefty. Seems a waste on using on a gk to me. Especially if Dawson's contract is as much as rumoured to be.

20 hours ago, GermanBird said:

For me it's a good signal towards Dawson. 

He's the experienced partner, which allows Dawson to slowly take over the job

Slowly take over the job? he first played first team football for us in Season 2016!!!.....Whens he going to be ready? He has played all of his football in the Championship,prior to his loan season,has played under 4 seperate SWFC managers, & did not have the confidence of DM to start a season in Division 3....He was at one time an England International at youth level....

YES he has had a good season on loan,but he has spent his career as a Championship keeper....70+ games i believe....he was playing 2 whle Divisions below that standard...

He has come through the Academy,enjoyed long,secure contracts........its time for him to kick on(if he can) but NOT HERE....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mighty Quinn said:

Because of the way Wycombe defend as a team...?

He won the Golden Glove by keeping 18 clean sheets. He faced the most shots (185) in the league and had the third-best save percentage (73.2 per cent). Doesn’t seem like the way Wycombe defend as a team has made it easy for Stockdale to keep clean sheets………. but I’m sure you know best 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

He is a decent keeper...certainly better than Dawson and wildsmith at this time. In time Dawson will improve but prefer Stockdale as 1st choice for this season if we signed him.

DAWSON IS 27 THIS YEAR AND STARTED FOR US IN SEASON 2016....how much 'time' will he need to improve?

• Like 3

Dawson deserves a chance tbh. If there was a goalkeeper available on a free who had just been promoted in League Two and been in team of the season... We'd all be pretty chuffed with that right?

Having said that, anyone suggesting we should be spending money on a keeper is wrong. Our transfer budget will be realistically between 1.5m to 2m max. Are we really going to spend a huge chunk of that on a keeper when a similar amount at this level could be a 20 goal a season striker?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The coach said:

I’m not one to go on about ex players...but his he better than  Westy ?? It’s about time we had a solid number 1..I’m fed up about our keeper situation..bout time it got sorted once n for all

Well he doesn't get injured in the warm up that's a an upgrade

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

He won the Golden Glove by keeping 18 clean sheets. He faced the most shots (185) in the league and had the third-best save percentage (73.2 per cent). Doesn’t seem like the way Wycombe defend as a team has made it easy for Stockdale to keep clean sheets………. but I’m sure you know best 

Of course I do Leon played for us, good player..lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, markg said:

What type of shots? Long range daisy cutters because Wycombe defended so well? 

Their expected goals against would actually suggest that they conceded a fair few decent chances which you'd usually expect to result in a goal, but which didn't.

It's not an exact science, but a fair bit of that is usually down to the goalkeeper.

If you look at Wycombe's expected goals against for last season, they conceded 5.9 fewer goals than expected from the chances they gave away. Whilst that might not seem a large number, it's behind only five other teams in the division, and way ahead of our rating with Peacock-Farrell between the sticks.

Over the course of a season, that kind of performance could make the world of difference to a team's points tally.

2021-22-l1.png.247e5a7d4d108ce380061f1f09dcab0e.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

Dawson deserves a chance tbh. If there was a goalkeeper available on a free who had just been promoted in League Two and been in team of the season... We'd all be pretty chuffed with that right?

Having said that, anyone suggesting we should be spending money on a keeper is wrong. Our transfer budget will be realistically between 1.5m to 2m max. Are we really going to spend a huge chunk of that on a keeper when a similar amount at this level could be a 20 goal a season striker?

1.5 to 2 million on a 20 goal a season striker. Apart from they're as rare as hen's teeth that's what they would want in wages.

2 hours ago, parajack said:

DAWSON IS 27 THIS YEAR AND STARTED FOR US IN SEASON 2016....how much 'time' will he need to improve?

He'll be the number 1 this year but he need to fight for it

2 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

I dont know if it passed you by but goalkeepers are very much part of the defence!!

I get that. My point is that some stats don’t mean much without more detail. I’S be happy with him as a signing. My point is that that stat could relate to many shots from long distance. Similarly it could be point blank saves. Maybe the it passes you by 

• Like 1