David Stockdale

41 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Not loyalty just a recognition that players can improve. Most recent evidence according to fans and coaches who have witnessed his performances over a full season says he has both improved  and shown excellent ability. 

I'm sure that DM will be delighted that the loan has had the desired effect. I'm  sure that he'll under consideration for our number one come the start of the season.

Improved over what? Have they seen previous S6 performances? Improved over their last 4th Div keeper? What area of his has improved? Kicking? Ball playing? Command of his area? Managing his defence? Coming for the ball at corners and leaving his line quicker?

1 hour ago, parajack said:

At Exeter. in Div 4(as was) what relevance does that have to S6? Like I said IF your right we will see him instilled as our ‘New’ no 1 GK won’t we? 

Not necessarily, no.

The question I was answering was: 'hasn't he improved at Exeter?'

According to someone I know who watches all their games and knows one of their coaches, he has.

That's all, really.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Improved over what? Have they seen previous S6 performances? Improved over their last 4th Div keeper? What area of his has improved? Kicking? Ball playing? Command of his area? Managing his defence? Coming for the ball at corners and leaving his line quicker?

The level of improvement best to be assessed by our own coaches to see if they endorse the feedback coming from Plymouth fans and coaches before casting him aside. I'm sure that will happen anyway thankfully. 

1 hour ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Wait and see for me. He needs to be assessed again by the staff here before making any decisions. I think it's highly unlikely that we'd let him go to a competitor whilst subsiding his wages like last season. If, after having a look over the pre-season, the decision is that he'd be better  elsewhere then fine but unlikely  to be Plymouth as they’ve already said that they cant afford his wages.

His biggest failing is still the same as before he left

He stays on his line and doesn't command his area

His reactions are as good as ever, never been able to fault him on that, he's a very good shot stopper

I think we need a better first choice, and Stockdale is a better first choice

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, danblakemore said:

Doesn't matter what league he's played in, the goals are the same size.

I vote for him to be given a chance. 

Ah, that old chestnut, the goals are the same size

The opposition are better, the strikers are more clinical in League 1

A lot of goals in league 1 are from set pieces, do we really want to rely on a keeper who stays routed to his line

I think we need a better keeper, Stockdale is a better keeper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

His reactions are as good as ever, never been able to fault him on that, he's a very good shot stopper

From what I've heard coming out of Plymouth is that he's improved generally. All I expect is that, on the back of that and how much he is rated by fans and coaches who have watched him week in/week out for this past season, he is properly re-asseed by our coaching team. No pre-conceived judgements based on out of date information. 

7 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

In the 5 nil debacle at Brentford Dawson produced one of the worst goalkeeping performances I've ever witnessed...

And there's been a few .....

I dont know Kevin Pressman vs Newcastle when we lost 8-0 was not great, his post match comments of 'other than the goals i didnt had a save to make'. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not necessarily, no.

The question I was answering was: 'hasn't he improved at Exeter?'

According to someone I know who watches all their games and knows one of their coaches, he has.

That's all, really.

Ah, but some people just hate to be wronged.  They've decided Dawson ain't up to it, regardless.  Sounds like some people haven't improved themselves or moved on at the same time.  It's no easier on a goalie in L2 than anywhere else, probably more difficult as the defences aren't as good.  I'd back Dawson any time, but the angry mob (of 3 or 4?) will bite back...

Edited by hangonrose
Error
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

From what I've heard coming out of Plymouth is that he's improved generally. All I expect is that, on the back of that and how much he is rated by fans and coaches who have watched him week in/week out for this past season, he is properly re-asseed by our coaching team. No pre-conceived judgements based on out of date information. 

I have a mate who lives in Exeter, he supports Luton but he's been to most Exeter home games this season. 

He says the exact same thing I've said, he's a very good shot stopper but gets routed to his line

He's had a very good season against league two opposition, but he's still made mistakes, the worst being the own goal

He thinks mid table league 1 is probably his level

He also thinks the Championship would be a step too far for him

I tend to agree with him

But we will see, I hope he proves me wrong, but I still think we need a better all round keeper

I rate Dawson higher than Wildesmith, but I'll be very surprised if either is our first team keeper this coming season

46 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

Ah, but some people just hate to be wronged.  They've decided Dawson ain't up to it, regardless.  Sounds like some people haven't improved themselves or moved on at the same time.  It's no easier on a goalie in L2 than anywhere else, probably more difficult as the defences aren't as good.  I'd back Dawson any time, but the angry mob (of 3 or 4?) will bite back...

I rather give him a chance than bringing in a 36/37 year old keeper, it's the short term fix option and should we get promoted will need replacing next season 

29 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I have a mate who lives in Exeter, he supports Luton but he's been to most Exeter home games this season. 

He says the exact same thing I've said, he's a very good shot stopper but gets routed to his line

He's had a very good season against league two opposition, but he's still made mistakes, the worst being the own goal

He thinks mid table league 1 is probably his level

He also thinks the Championship would be a step too far for him

I tend to agree with him

But we will see, I hope he proves me wrong, but I still think we need a better all round keeper

I rate Dawson higher than Wildesmith, but I'll be very surprised if either is our first team keeper this coming season

That's a view that has to be respected as it is founded on recent rather than historic witness, albeit one person's view.

As you say, we will see. If the coaches don't think he's improved enough then I'd expect that he'll  go out on loan again as kicking his heels on the bench wont do him any good.

52 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I rather give him a chance than bringing in a 36/37 year old keeper, it's the short term fix option and should we get promoted will need replacing next season 

Worry about what happens after promotion when it happens not now.

47 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Stockdale won't come here to sit on the bench, off the back of playing every game last season for Wycombe...and him turning down another contract with them. 

I think that probably is the plan, and proof that DM doesn't rate Dawson, as the focus is short term and on promotion....if we make it to the Championship then we can look at a better calibre of goalkeeper to move us forward, cause Wildsmith and Dawson aren't capable of  consistently performing in the Championship!

I dont ever want another season of chopping those two around every other week...nothing filled me with more dread than Westwood getting injured in the warm up.....some of the players in our shoddy Championship teams might have felt the same too.

If this thread proves nowt else it's that Dawson will never be given a fair shake of the stick by some in our fanbase regardless of what improvement he's made as a keeper, so for that reason alone we probably should look to move him on.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

You have a go explaining it to some on here......apparently we have to give the (27 this Year) 'Lad' another run out.....even if it condemns us to another season in L1 IF he doesnt succeed.......Just waiting for the clamour for 'Westy' (yuk...) to be brought back...to become deafening..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Gbear1867 said:

If this thread proves nowt else it's that Dawson will never be given a fair shake of the stick by some in our fanbase regardless of what improvement he's made as a keeper, so for that reason alone we probably should look to move him on.

We have been very fair with CD,not about fairness.....and its NOT about the fan base either, If DM has confidence in him and thinks his loan spell has improved the area's that needed  improving(bear in mind where we leaked goals last Year) he will come back & be first choice keeper...

If his command of his area hasnt improved,and he still is hesitant leaving his line...(Corners anyone?)..than he should have no role in a DM playing it out style side...

• Like 2

Just now, parajack said:

We have been very fair with CD,not about fairness.....and its NOT about the fan base either, If DM has confidence in him and thinks his loan spell has improved the area's that needed  improving(bear in mind where we leaked goals last Year) he will come back & be first choice keeper...

If his command of his area hasnt improved,and he still is hesitant leaving his line...(Corners anyone?)..than he should have no role in a DM playing it out style side...

In fairness, most of the squad last season weren't comfortable in our playing it out from the back style - and Stockdale and Henaghan would also fall into that category - still expect he will still do the same though.

• Thanks 1