David Stockdale

Astounding logic that an experienced keeper with a great season in this division last year is crap.

A great option for a season long deal and I'm sure our 2 current keepers will benefit from his experience.

37 isn't ancient for a keeper. If it was a midfielder it would be a different story.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Wycombe fans rate him as the leagues best, a proper character and integral part of the team off the pitch. Could be just what we are missing

Stop talking since on here

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, markg said:

I get that. My point is that some stats don’t mean much without more detail. I’S be happy with him as a signing. My point is that that stat could relate to many shots from long distance. Similarly it could be point blank saves. Maybe the it passes you by 

Stockdale is experienced at organising  his defence, never under estimate how important that is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, modboy said:

Dawson and Stockdale should be enough at this level if we improve other key areas.

Would imagine BPFs wages were hefty. Seems a waste on using on a gk to me. Especially if Dawson's contract is as much as rumoured to be.

It wont be 14 Million quid a Year,thats what it might cost us,if we put a keeper in who leaks goals.....How many 'second chances' do you give a keeper?....27 this Year,played most  if not all of his career in the Championship.....(loan aside)  over 70 appearances i believe,under 4 Different managers....

Why hasnt his game improved?....when he wasnt first choice?....what was happening with our GK coach to improve the area's that needed attention?...cos prior to his loan period,did anyone see any improvement?

20 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Hasn't he improved at Exeter? Stockdale as  #1 and Dawson as 2, eventually takes over if good enough.

Yeah, according to someone I know who watched a lot of Exeter last season and whose son is part of the coaching staff there, they were impressed with his shot-stopping from the start, but he came on leaps and bounds in terms of his confidence and his command of his area during his time there.

They really, really rate him.

But, y'know...CAPITAL LETTERS and baseless anger is more persuasive, innit?

• Like 6
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Yeah that Dino Zoff was rubbish 

Not much difference there, ones got 100 plus caps, the other played one C international, Il have a few puffs on that when youve done.

Wonder how many caps Zola would have won with Iorfa infront of him

4 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Hasn't he improved at Exeter? Stockdale as  #1 and Dawson as 2, eventually takes over if good enough.

How many MORE times...Exeter isnt S6 and he is an experienced Championship keeper playing is football in 2 Divisions LOWER....

He is an Academy product who has enjoyed long secure contracts at S6.....when KW was keeping him out what was he doing to improve his command of his area, kicking,and other area's of his game thought to be found wanting?....

If he has the confidence of DM given JW has been offered a further contract,why is DM not said we are going with CD? Why does this thread even exist? with speculation about the WW keeper?

NO....lets see how CD does with Exeter again in this Division higher(if he is loaned back)....If IF he has a similar season, sell him on...Time to turn a page on players who have not brought us success  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, according to someone I know who watched a lot of Exeter last season and whose son is part of the coaching staff there, they were impressed with his shot-stopping from the start, but he came on leaps and bounds in terms of his confidence and his command of his area during his time there.

They really, really rate him.

But, y'know...CAPITAL LETTERS and baseless anger is more persuasive, innit?

Baseless? not sure about the anger bit,but critique of Dawson (or any other player) is CONSTRUCTIVE in the main(few more capitals for you) Why? because the GK position is a variable we can control..ie We DONT have to take a gamble on CD.......

If the GK falters and leaks goals,or is not able to ball play(or kick) consistently under a high press.. in DM favoured 'playing it out'  style  thats IT game over for automatics...END EX

14 minutes ago, parajack said:

Baseless? not sure about the anger bit,but critique of Dawson (or any other player) is CONSTRUCTIVE in the main(few more capitals for you) Why? because the GK position is a variable we can control..ie We DONT have to take a gamble on CD.......

If the GK falters and leaks goals,or is not able to ball play(or kick) consistently under a high press.. in DM favoured 'playing it out'  style  thats IT game over for automatics...END EX

NONE of which...changes the FACT that Dawson (apparently) IMPROVED at Exeter, though.

👍

• Haha 2

Cameron Dawson will probably go onto have a decent career as a goalkeeper in the lower leagues, but I don't think it will be here. 

That's not a knock on him, but sometimes things just don't quite work out. 

Him and Joe came through at a time when we had not only a very good number 1, but one who was a) a dominant personality; b) a massive fan favourite; and c) was prone to get banished by certain managers. It all just added to the pressure on Cam and Joe and I don't think it's harsh to say that both struggled with that. In addition to that, one mistake and a certain section of fans were massively on their case and clamouring for "Westy" to come back in which he inevitably did. 

The problem is that one mistake from Cam next season and it would be like groundhog day here. He's had a great season at Exeter and I hope he gets a move to another club. As for Joe, well, he needs to decide whether he wants to be permanent bench warmer or try to establish himself as a number 1 somewhere. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

NONE of which...changes the FACT that Dawson (apparently) IMPROVED at Exeter, though.

👍

Says who?.....Was he expected to ball play at Exeter?.does Exeters manager ask his defence and midfield to play it out?...do Exeter play in front of 20,000 crowds?...

Where are we putting our standard to decide against? clean sheets? MOM? because on those markers you would be 100% correct....IF CD wasnt a Championship keeper plying his trade 2 whole Divisions below...(absolute chasm in quality difference)  

But how relevent is that to being good enough to assist us in what we hope will be a promotion season? and being expected to do the above,at S6 using DM preferred systym..

Best answer to that will be to see if the manager agree's with you and make Dawson no1.....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, parajack said:

Says who?.....Was he expected to ball play at Exeter?.does Exeters manager ask his defence and midfield to play it out?...do Exeter play in front of 20,000 crowds?...

Where are we putting our standard to decide against? clean sheets? MOM? because on those markers you would be 100% correct....IF CD wasnt a Championship keeper plying his trade 2 whole Divisions below...(absolute chasm in quality difference)  

But how relevent is that to being good enough to assist us in what we hope will be a promotion season? and being expected to do the above,at S6 using DM preferred systym..

Best answer to that will be to see if the manager agree's with you and make Dawson no1.....

Says one of his coaches.

• Like 1

Stockdale was one of the better keepers in the league last year. Got Premier League, Championship and League One experience. Got pedigree at this level and above.

If he comes in and Dawson gets in in front of him then it can only be a good thing.

Wouldn't mind him for a season or two personally.

Edited by CalmJimmers
  • Like 9