Why do we never get a team and a manager that play a 'you score 3, we'll score 4 mentality'?

we had this once, in the PO campaign season with Carlos that ended at Wembley...

why in L1 do we always have defensive irvine and megons 

im not 100% my opinion on Moore yet...

but why can't we just go and try and score 4 every week and see if that's not enough?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To be fair, we scored a lot of goals in the second half of the season and played some entertaining football.

Came from behind a few times to win too. I'm not saying we are  Kevin Keegan's 1990's all out attacking Newcastle, but do have that in our locker when needed. 

I think there is a balance to be struck between being defensively reckless in the aim of scoring goals and being smart to manage games and pick up points.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Taz said:

we had this once, in the PO campaign season with Carlos that ended at Wembley...

but why can't we just go and try and score 4 every week and see if that's not enough?

Like Leeds have been famed for recently.....

I think we have a manager like that. We put so much emphasis on attack that we leave ourselves a little light at the back. 

Wednesday 4-1 Portsmouth 
MK Dons 2-3 Wednesday

Wednesday 4-1 Cheltenham

Wednesday 5-2 Burton

Oxford 3-2 Wednesday 

Wednesday 4-2 Plymouth 

Wednesday 2-2 Wycombe 

Accrington 2-3 Wednesday 

Cheltenham 2-2 Wednesday

Wimbledon 2-2 Wednesday

Look at how many high scoring games we’ve been involved in this season. Be nice next season, especially away to go and win 1-0/2-0 a few more times rather than getting caught up in these end to end basketball game type matches.

I understand the romantic idea of having a swashbuckling attacking side but it just isn’t something that seems to be something that would actually get you promoted. If all that mattered in football was entertainment and we were just as happy watching us lose 4-3 as win 1-0, and didn’t care about going up then fine.

But we do care about going up. I think our attacking play has been good in the second half of the season. The thing we need to add to our game is how to nick a goal away from home and defend the lead.

Then we will go up. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I think we have a manager like that. We put so much emphasis on attack that we leave ourselves a little light at the back. 

Wednesday 4-1 Portsmouth 
MK Dons 2-3 Wednesday

Wednesday 4-1 Cheltenham

Wednesday 5-2 Burton

Oxford 3-2 Wednesday 

Wednesday 4-2 Plymouth 

Wednesday 2-2 Wycombe 

Accrington 2-3 Wednesday 

Cheltenham 2-2 Wednesday

Wimbledon 2-2 Wednesday

Look at how many high scoring games we’ve been involved in this season. Be nice next season, especially away to go and win 1-0/2-0 a few more times rather than getting caught up in these end to end basketball game type matches.

Good post.

Edited by sexpistol
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Only 3 teams scored more goals than us last season. 

Strange that lots of people still believe we’re too defensive.

It's taz. 

I wouldn't worry about the facts.

It's all about his attention necessities

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Taz said:

We've had the most attacking team this year ,may be that's was our downfall

49 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

If you are going to play this way and be successful nearly every week your players need to be a level above every other side in the league.

Very very rarely does a side have this.

agreed and the irony is away a lot we tried the same until run in, for me away if you win being horrid and a 1 goal one take it, its still 3 points

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, reggae said:

It's taz. 

I wouldn't worry about the facts.

It's all about his attention necessities

You got me

big attention grab

asking a 3rd division teams football forum why we don’t play more attacking football

madness 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2