Why do we never get a team and a manager that play a 'you score 3, we'll score 4 mentality'?

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, torryowl said:

Is there manager who plays that way ?

Kevin Keegan - sign him up 

He would “Love it !” 

6 minutes ago, Taz said:

You got me

big attention grab

asking a 3rd division teams football forum why we don’t play more attacking football

madness 

It's the way you refer to owlstalk as a " 3rd division teams forum" that kind of sums up your interest. 

Can't argue the facts. But wednesday means a lot more to some of us than just that. 

Each to their own though. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, reggae said:

It's the way you refer to owlstalk as a " 3rd division teams forum" that kind of sums up your interest. 

Can't argue the facts. But wednesday means a lot more to some of us than just that. 

Each to their own though. 

fk wednesday i got bills and sh*t

16 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I think it's a myth we had it in the 1st Carlos season. We didn't score or concede that many over 46 games. Lots of games were narrow and tight. 

Yep we scored 12 more goals this season then in Carlos' 1st season.

We are a far more attacking team now than we were then.

18 minutes ago, Taz said:

You got me

big attention grab

asking a 3rd division teams football forum why we don’t play more attacking football

madness 

Well as others have pointed out we are in no way a defensively minded team.

If you question is why don't we go all out attack then the answer is obvious.

It simply leaves you too open and vulnerable at the back. Teams can easily exploit this on the counterattack.

There's a reason very few teams adopt this approach - I.e. it's a extremely difficult tactic  to get right. 

Peterborough in 2010/11 under Gary Johnson is the team I always think of with this mentality. Finished 4th in League One scoring 106 goals and conceded 75 (second highest in the entire division) they went up in the playoffs. 

They beat us 5-3 at their place, George Boyd scored twice for them and Mendez-Laing got one. Later in the season they beat us 4-1 at Hillsborough and Boyd scored twice again. 

• Like 2

First of all it’s a pretty wreckless tactic 

but as a side note 

7 out if our last 15 league games we scored 3 goals or more 46.66% of those games 

I’d say that  whilst maintaining your defensive duties ( debatable at times ) is outstanding 

• Like 2

Perhaps a more appropriate question would be why we go into our shell so much in play-offs. That's now 6 games in a row, going back to Brighton away, where we've hardly looked like scoring. OK, we've suffered some narrow defeats to some relatively good teams, but we've scored 3 goals in those 6 games. Plenty of teams score that many in just one leg.

3 hours ago, Taz said:

we had this once, in the PO campaign season with Carlos that ended at Wembley...

why in L1 do we always have defensive irvine and megons 

im not 100% my opinion on Moore yet...

but why can't we just go and try and score 4 every week and see if that's not enough?

I mean since new year we've won 3-2, 4-1, 4-1, 5-2, 4-2, 6-0, 3-2, 3-1. 

Are you saying we need to concede more to make them 4-3, 5-4, 6-5 so they're closer?

• Love 1

I think people see Man City and Liverpool scoring 100 odd goals a season and think why aren’t we doing that? Not to state the obvious but they are mega teams with world superstars funded by multi billionaires 

78 goals in league one with a team made up of free and loans players is prolific tbh  

people who think we should sack more cos we are too defensive need to give there head a wobble 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0114 said:

I think we have a manager like that. We put so much emphasis on attack that we leave ourselves a little light at the back. 

Wednesday 4-1 Portsmouth 
MK Dons 2-3 Wednesday

Wednesday 4-1 Cheltenham

Wednesday 5-2 Burton

Oxford 3-2 Wednesday 

Wednesday 4-2 Plymouth 

Wednesday 2-2 Wycombe 

Accrington 2-3 Wednesday 

Cheltenham 2-2 Wednesday

Wimbledon 2-2 Wednesday

Look at how many high scoring games we’ve been involved in this season. Be nice next season, especially away to go and win 1-0/2-0 a few more times rather than getting caught up in these end to end basketball game type matches.

Fuming at the pompey, Plymouth and Burton games. 

We won by more then 1 goal. 

Moore Out

• Haha 1

So what you’re saying is 

we actually are doing that? 

then we need to get rid of the older players maybe, young fast players

we also need to workout how to not lose to teams that are just good at time wasting 

1 minute ago, Taz said:

So what you’re saying is 

we actually are doing that? 

then we need to get rid of the older players maybe, young fast players

we also need to workout how to not lose to teams that are just good at time wasting 

There is always room for improvement. Even Man City and Liverpool find issues they want to improve.

That's the fun about it. Just relax  and enjoy. DM is working on it

5 hours ago, Taz said:

we had this once, in the PO campaign season with Carlos that ended at Wembley...

why in L1 do we always have defensive irvine and megons 

im not 100% my opinion on Moore yet...

but why can't we just go and try and score 4 every week and see if that's not enough?

We have to score 3 goals to win 1-0.