Young George

Didn't look anywhere near close enough to get in our first team. 

Needs a few more seasons to mature.

Maybe when he's 29?

Not as good as his Dad. Reminds me of Paul Dalgleish

Edited by theowlsman

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

How many did Gregory score?

One.

But he put in a much superior performance at a level Hirst aspired to.

Hirst did have a few chances second half but missed them. Therefore his performance will just go down along many other strikers who scored against us. 

If he scored a few or put in an all round performance  then it would certainly have been more memorable.

Jury is out for me. Whilst he looked sharp,  I think we made it easy for him at times. He had far too much space at times. When our defenders did get close to him he struggled.

He certainly looked better than last time I watched him. 

It’s a shame he didn’t continue his development here. It’s a shame money (on all sides) got in the way. 

Edited by bigdan2003

17 hours ago, vulva said:

Thing is, where we are as a club, and where Hirst is now as a player, is now a perfect fit. It wasn’t the case 2 years back. What annoyed me was the behavior of Leicester. What they did absolutely stank.  

Regardless of what league we are in next season, it would be brilliant to see this lad up front for Wednesday. Both sides, and some fans, need to put things behind them, move forward and look at the bigger picture. A front 2 of Hirst and Gregory would be very decent. 

Leicester are a stain of a club though. Went into admin twice irrc and neither time were deducted points again iirc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

Gregory was majestic yesterday but did more than just score. If we are comparing him to Hirst then he was clearly superior yesterday. 

I mean compare the goals. Gregory carries the ball, pass out to Johnson and carries on his run into a great position. And the deft touch right in the corner.

Not sure why you are putting a negative spin on his performance.

Hirst does have time to develop and add to his game. But needs the right club to get a full season of starts.

51 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Not sure why you are putting a negative spin on his performance. 

I'm not?

Where have I done that?

Someone said because Hirst only scored one goal he was useless and rubbish

I simply asked 'how many did Gregory score' and left it at that?

Owlstalk Shop

On the basis of yesterday, you'd see him as a tremendous player at this level; unlikely to be good enough at premier level; and likely to be sold to a decent championship club at some point. 

Five years ago suggestions he was ready for our first team squad were ludicrous. Since then he has developed a lot. He doesn't appear to be on a trajectory to the very top level, which seemed possible back then. But he would certainly be an asset now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

23 years of age, can shoot with both feet, quick, strong, tall, hits the target, good movement, can get the ball out of his feet quickly.

Literally has all the attributes to be a top striker. Not saying he will go on to be a world beater, but those attributes will mean someone in the Championship will take a punt on him next season. 

23 years old, 13 goals. He’s a talent. 

Right, but you said top end Championship. There's a distinct difference between that and a player who has done OK for a spell in League One.

I still don't think he's strong enough to play much higher up, don't see this pace people seem to think he has either. His movement is decent I'll agree on that.

17 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Right, but you said top end Championship. There's a distinct difference between that and a player who has done OK for a spell in League One.

I still don't think he's strong enough to play much higher up, don't see this pace people seem to think he has either. His movement is decent I'll agree on that.

Not sure what’s so difficult to understand.

If Leicester decide to sell him I reckon a top end Championship club will pay a couple of million for him. If Leicester want to loan him out he’ll go to a Championship club who are more likely to give him regular starts. 

• Like 1

Time will tell but I'd put money on him being top end Championship at least. Look at his progression in the last 12 months and he's matured a lot, I reckon he is a player who's needed time. Gregory was better than him yesterday but that doesn't take away from a good performance by Hirst. In the second half his movement and first touch for the shot he had that BPF saved was really good, he's looking like a striker who has plenty of attributes. He showed he had pace in the game at their place, he's 6'4 and has decent feet. His movement for their goal was good, watch it back if you aren't sure. Whichever division we are in next year I'd be glad if he was with us, an upcoming striker who will wear the shirt with pride and score goals. Gregory, Hirst and ANOTHER would be an exciting prospect. Look at Billy Sharp, twice he was at the Lane and didn't make it, there's an obvious comparison. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Probably cos he didn't sign a contract with us and went to leicesters foreign puppet club so we didn't receive any money for him after years of development meaning we not only missed out on his services but on any cash we would have been due. I reckon that's why. 

So why didn’t we just sell him when we had an offer. £2mill was mentioned somewhere. Not like we didn’t need the money as “our friends” didn’t turn up?

• Like 1