Young George

1 minute ago, legendaryswan said:

13 goals in 40 games in tier 3 doesnt suggest hes ready for a tilt at the championship, hed be facing far better organised sides with a higher class of defender, hes hardly setting the division alight is he

Literally only three goals less than Gregory.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Absolutely this. We gambled on name players and we lost big time. It makes far more sense to produce, develop and sell players on or we'll never make the kind of money we need to compete. 

It still wrankles about Hirst because of the name but also, a quality striker is the one that makes you the big bucks. Will we get another? He's 23 and in League 1, yeah, but he had a year on the bench for us and a year in the Belgian 2nd division. He could go on to bigger things like Gregory, Lambert or Vardy.

Let's be honest, at the time George Hirst wasn't going to fire us to the Premier League, which was the stated aim.

We had to go for established players at that point

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevelknievel said:

I don’t begrudge him putting his career first, but I do have a issue with what they did. It’s like when any of us leave a job, you can do it the right way or you can leave under a cloud. 

There is no disputing the club lost out with the Hirst situation, and as Hirst showed in the following season after he left, he still wasn’t ready.

I’m not a Chansiri fan and he is definitely partly to blame, but so are the rest.

I'm not saying they werent to blame, I'm not in the know so it's just my hypothesis, but I suspect both sides got things wrong. But imagine for one moment if you are a Wednesday legend, your son has been banging goals in at England level and his best mate is at the Lane being offered more game time, more money etc. Most opinion at the time suggests your son is the greater prospect and yet he's offered less money, less game time,less opportunity. You try to negotiate for more, knowing there are better offers out there, but are unsuccessful. You look back on your own career knowing you showed great loyalty to the club when arguably the biggest club in the world came sniffing (yes I realise it wasn't entirely Hirsts decision). What Dad and son wouldn't perhaps decide that they could do better elsewhere. I'm not sure there was ever going to be a "right way" to leave. We've not been there  so we dont know what it's like. Shaw left to Celtic despite his Wednesday allegiance, these things happen. Terry Curran left us directly to join United yet he's still classed as a legend. He's still a Wednesday fan and had his reasons at the time.

• Like 1

Just now, legendaryswan said:

Benzima and Ronaldo with Gregory in the same breathe, got to be the worst comparison ever.

Gregory will have to manage his game due to age, hirst should be FULL of movement energy and have bags of match longevity in those young legs

24 minutes ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

I thought he looked a decent player. Palmer handled him well to be fair though. Pissed me off with his celebration though!!

Why did his celebration ******** you off, he barely did anything. It was hardly Owen Morrisonesque when he scored a winner for Bradford years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

I thought he looked a decent player. Palmer handled him well to be fair though. Pissed me off with his celebration though!!

Hes a wednesday ite at heart, scoring at S6 is dream for us all isnt it? Christ Id bloody celebrate it whoever Id have been playing for, Id have slid on my knees under the kop like in my dreams arms raised and savour the moment

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

13 goals in 40 games in tier 3 doesnt suggest hes ready for a tilt at the championship, hed be facing far better organised sides with a higher class of defender, hes hardly setting the division alight is he

13 in 40 in tier 3 is a bit of a misleading stat because I think he’s scored 12 since the turn of the year and 10 in his last 14 league games.

Can anyone dig out the stats on the league 1 top goalscorers since the turn of the year? Hirst must be up there.

We’ll have to see how he kicks on next year but he’s definitely a young striker who’s been on the up for the last few months 

9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Honestly I’m sure he’s not that arsed.

Making money, scoring goals and will probably get a good move to a top end Championship club next season. 

Looks a good player to me. Gets shots away and quick off the mark. 

Really?

He's done OK for a team that's finished 10th in League One. It took him a long time to get going as well.

Other than the goal, which literally anyone could have scored, what did he do today that suggests he'd be a player a top end Championship club would go in for?

2 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Really?

He's done OK for a team that's finished 10th in League One. It took him a long time to get going as well.

Other than the goal, which literally anyone could have scored, what did he do today that suggests he'd be a player a top end Championship club would go in for?

Cant see many bottom end championship clubs coming in for him TBF if it takes him half a season to get going and then ends up tied with Jayden Stockley for goals scored, hardly a swinging endorsement

2 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Cant see many bottom end championship clubs coming in for him TBF if it takes him half a season to get going and then ends up tied with Jayden Stockley for goals scored, hardly a swinging endorsement

Exactly.

He probably will end up at a bottom end Championship side and I think he'll do what he did at Rotherham last season which was struggle.

4 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Exactly.

He probably will end up at a bottom end Championship side and I think he'll do what he did at Rotherham last season which was struggle.

He’s a different player to last season though, looks a confident striker now.

A lot of Wednesday fans seem desperate for him to fail.

Maybe he will fail but he’s got the tools to kick on.

And he’s only 23 so if he doesn’t booze like his dad he’s got 10+ years left.

It won’t happen but I’d have him back at Wednesday 

• Like 3

I thought he looked half decent to be honest.I'm not one for getting into the spurned lover type of poo , it really doesn't do either side any good. Would I have him or want him back? No way. Do I wish him ill? Not at all, we've parted company, time to move on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG D said:

This was totally the point of the OP 

Yeah I think we’re on the same page on a lot of things mate. 

The Hirst situation didn’t cover anyone involved in any glory at all, it’s just sad the way things worked out how they did. Seeing him become a legend like his dad would’ve been brilliant, especially for the fans who’ve only ever known us be shíte, but the way it panned out kind of summed up being a Wednesday fan — optimism, disappointment, acceptance, indifference. 

Anyway… fùck him. Príck

• Thanks 1

He was having a bit of a laugh and joke with Hutchinson in the north west corner when Dele-Bashiru was coming on. One of those 'cover your mouth' conversations so no cameras could pick up what they were talking about.

Seemed like he was in good spirits to be fair, he'd probably be welcomed back into the squad if we did go for him in the summer. On a free (albeit with a six-figure signing-on fee I imagine) it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world if he's not unreasonable with his salary demands.

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The person you need to be referring this to is our chairman if anyone

Nope. 

George hirst is a bellend. 

😂😂😂😂

Let's celebrate a goal against your "team"

After 5 mins. 

How did that work out Georgy boy ?