Young George

4 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

I think so , could be wrong though 

According to the Transfermarket site his contract expires next month as you say

I agree that he’s the type of player we need to be looking at signing, who is developing and could be a good player with a high market value 

• Like 1

For all those who 'don't get' why people are are still bitter about the George Hirst situation, let me try to explain

There are very few true legends of our club in living memory, but David Hirst is one of them.

You always like to think that it's a two way street. For example, it fills me with joy to hear Carlton Palmer talk about how much he loves Wednesday. That's why people lost it when Paolo 'misplaced' his player of the year trophy that time.

Since Hirst's time we've been in steady decline (and sometimes free fall), gradually becoming a bottom half premier team, then relegated to the championship, then league 1, enduring strikers like Kim Olson, Leon Clarke, David Graham, Jay Bothroyd, Francis Jeffers. We've watched some absolute dross over the years.

But then you hear there's a kid in the youth team that's a real prospect.

A local lad.

He's a striker as well.

Banging goals in for the development squad and the England youth teams.

Oh yeah, and David Hirst's his dad!

It was all so perfect.

So it was always going to be a blow to lose him. Especially when we offered him the best contact we'd ever offered a youth player. And then the real kick in the teeth, was the loophole to the Belgian club that kinda suggests that David Hirst (and Nigel Pearson) aren't really that bothered about Wednesday afterall.

So yes, it's total bitterness and sour grapes that we never got to see George Hirst be successful for Wednesday. But that's the life of a football supporter isn't it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He'd just scored a goal mate

Yep and no problem him celebrating scoring a goal at all. All I am saying is the manor of his celebration probably lost a few like myself that did have strong feelings against him before that. 

Guest DoesJackHunt
6 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Sorry, let me try again using slightly fewer syllables to make my comment easier for those with less brain cells than Hirst scores goals today or those just looking for a fight!

I didn’t have a problem with the lad but thought his goal celebration today was a bit unnecessary and it turned fans like myself who didn’t have an issue with him against him! It not complicated and I really don’t care, I just think it’s a shame that all. 

I would go mental if I scored in front of the kop in any shirt, wouldn’t you ? 

1 minute ago, Bazza said:

Yep and no problem him celebrating scoring a goal at all. All I am saying is the manor of his celebration probably lost a few like myself that did have strong feelings against him before that. 

I dunno - I just saw him score his inevitable goal in front of the kop and the lad celebrated his goal

That's fine and his right I guess

It was up to us then to not let that goal define the result - and thankfully we didn't!

Owlstalk Shop

Guest DoesJackHunt

Pack it in soft lad, did you take a banana? 

39 minutes ago, The Wall said:

For all those who 'don't get' why people are are still bitter about the George Hirst situation, let me try to explain

There are very few true legends of our club in living memory, but David Hirst is one of them.

You always like to think that it's a two way street. For example, it fills me with joy to hear Carlton Palmer talk about how much he loves Wednesday. That's why people lost it when Paolo 'misplaced' his player of the year trophy that time.

Since Hirst's time we've been in steady decline (and sometimes free fall), gradually becoming a bottom half premier team, then relegated to the championship, then league 1, enduring strikers like Kim Olson, Leon Clarke, David Graham, Jay Bothroyd, Francis Jeffers. We've watched some absolute dross over the years.

But then you hear there's a kid in the youth team that's a real prospect.

A local lad.

He's a striker as well.

Banging goals in for the development squad and the England youth teams.

Oh yeah, and David Hirst's his dad!

It was all so perfect.

So it was always going to be a blow to lose him. Especially when we offered him the best contact we'd ever offered a youth player. And then the real kick in the teeth, was the loophole to the Belgian club that kinda suggests that David Hirst (and Nigel Pearson) aren't really that bothered about Wednesday afterall.

So yes, it's total bitterness and sour grapes that we never got to see George Hirst be successful for Wednesday. But that's the life of a football supporter isn't it?

Some great points there and you summed up the historical build up well

But my issue is with you saying that anyone screwed Wednesday over

No they didn't - not really

If anyone was affected negatively it was the chairman and his finances 

It never really affected the club one bit - just the chairman's wallet

But that was the chairman's decision - he made the call

Realistically if anything Wednesday lost a player off the wage bill

Anyway - what would you want David Hirst and NIgel Pearson to do exactly? Say to George "You know that Chairman Chansiri that's froze you out of even training with the youth team never mind playing? Well what we want you to do is to not sign to Leicester for millions of pounds and instead stay wtih him on a pittance even though he's treat you like that - ok? Cos it's Wednesday that's the most important thing here"

Bet you (and nobody else here) would say that to your lad if it was them

Let's be realistic here and fair

You get one shot in life at being a footballer and you don't get long either, and you're going to (have to) follow the opportunities (and yes the rewards) instead of signing for a chairman that's kept you out for over a year during your most important development years

If there's been any spat going on it's not between George, Pearson, Hirsty and the club but more like personal beef between people and our chairman.

Anyway - it's done now

Good luck to George HIrst - I hope he's the next Jamie Vardy - it'd be fine with me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, BIG D said:

He’ll play the same amount of games for Leicester as BIG D. ‘Young’ George isn’t that young. League 1 is his level. 
It was you who told me that Wing had ‘taken Bannan to school’ last season wasn’t it?

lol

Young George isn’t that young? Where was Vardy playing at Hirst’s age?

George Hirst has got 10 years on Lee Gregory. And Gregory still has a few years left in him.

How far Hirst goes we’ll have to see but I thought he played very well today. Great movement, always looked a threat and he’s come on loads in the last 6 months 

• Love 1

Guest DoesJackHunt

Nope! I’d fluff it wide given an open goal 2yards out🤷‍♂️ 😂😂😂

Hahaha me too to be fair, that’s why I would go mental, out of complete disbelief. 🙂

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

More just the gesture than the pounds and pence. Felt like a twos up to the club (and by extension the supporters).

I'd love to hear the Hirsts version of events, especially David, but I guess we never will. In fairness to George, he just comes across as a lad who likes playing football.

Maybe it's David who's left me for the fitness instructor, and George is his daughter?

Nope, sorry the analogy has broken down there.

Just now, Bazza said:

Imagine if there had been a keeper for that challenge! 😂😂

What I don't get is the further the ball is away from the net - they still aim for the centre of the goal and then the kick always curls it left and it goes wide

Surely everyone knows to curl it out wide and high so it curls back in and drops into the net?

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Sorry, let me try again using slightly fewer syllables to make my comment easier for those with less brain cells than Hirst scores goals today or those just looking for a fight!

I didn’t have a problem with the lad but thought his goal celebration today was a bit unnecessary and it turned fans like myself who didn’t have an issue with him against him! It not complicated and I really don’t care, I just think it’s a shame that all. 

What did he do in his goal celebration that you thought unreasonable?

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Anyway - what would you want David Hirst and NIgel Pearson to do exactly? Say to George "You know that Chairman Chansiri that's froze you out of even training with the youth team never mind playing? Well what we want you to do is to not sign to Leicester for millions of pounds and instead stay wtih him on a pittance even though he's treat you like that - ok? Cos it's Wednesday that's the most important thing here"

Bet you (and nobody else here) would say that to their lad if it was them

Let's be realistic here and fair

You get one shot in life at being a footballer and you don't get long either, and you're going to (have to) follow the opportunities (and yes the rewards) instead of signing for a chairman that's kept you out for over a year during your most important development years

To be fair and with respect that’s one of your more sensible posts and I agree