Young George

22 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Probably cos he didn't sign a contract with us and went to leicesters foreign puppet club so we didn't receive any money for him after years of development meaning we not only missed out on his services but on any cash we would have been due. I reckon that's why. 

Chansiri could have stopped that happening at any time 

Owlstalk Shop

35 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

* not saying he’s not got potential, but there’s a lot of development needed in the lad, and at 23 you’d hope he was further along than he is.

23 is the new 18. 

Guest Jack the Hat
17 hours ago, Doctor Duran said:

Looked decent today and was a threat.

I'd sign him for next season him and Gregory would be an interesting pairing.

Yeah he looked good. Thought he lacked physicality but made up for that with speed and movement. Good positioning, movement, speed and finishing. Can hit a ball as well. It’s such a shame what happened because he left at a time he would have probably been getting starts. The pause in his time here has affected his development and he is probably a couple of years behind where he would have been. I don’t blame him - it was six and two threes.

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Apparently on 11k per week but Leicester will be footing part of wages. One year left on contract so either LCFC will want him signing a new deal before going out on loan again or may consider selling him. I suspect they'll extend his contract after his recent performances before going on loan to a Championship club.

Yeah can could see him in champ but then he may want that guaranteed first team football which he’ll get in L1.  

21 minutes ago, BIG D said:

People are confusing ‘him being a handful’ with him running with the ball and eventually having it taken off him. 

He had some good shots on goal that had to be turned away by BPF and came real close to scoring more goals - especially second half

Owlstalk Shop

Players develop at different rates as we know. Anyone who has followed Toney’s career will know it was the second loan at Scunthorpe when he was 22 that things started to click for him, then Peterborough snapped him up (as they always do) and the rest is history.  

If I was advising Hirst I would tell him to join a EFL club permanently this summer with the intent to be their main striker. Be it Portsmouth who want him back, or Peterborough who will no doubt sign the next promising young players as usual 

• Like 2

Guest Jack the Hat
29 minutes ago, FoxOwl12 said:

He has a distinct lack of pace, which could hold him back. 

I didn’t think he lacked pace at all

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Players develop at different rates as we know. Anyone who has followed Toney’s career will know it was the second loan at Scunthorpe when he was 22 that things started to click for him, then Peterborough snapped him up (as they always do) and the rest is history.  

If I was advising Hirst I would tell him to join a EFL club permanently this summer with the intent to be their main striker. Be it Portsmouth who want him back, or Peterborough who will no doubt sign the next promising young players as usual 

He needs to go to Peterbrough for a few years. Great club for him to get his development back on track. A season in this division with Peterborough will do him the world of good.

You could tell there was a bit more confidence in his play as he looked a far better player than he did at Fratton Park in the 0-0 draw. The 2 chances he had, one he scored and the other was a comfortable save in the end. However, I did think we dealt with him comfortably for most of the game and championship defences are much better than league one defences

League one is a decent level for him to continue his development. Weren't Rotherham in league one as well when we were going to loan him there?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

How?  He can't force a player to sign a contract.  By all accounts GH wanted a bigger contract despite being offered a decent one.  I do think if he had stayed that he would be further long in his progression.  The Belgium escapade stalled his career.  In my humble opinion. 

Thought he looked a good player seemed to have a good turn of speed. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

But he priced himself out of that happening. I’ve got nothing against him,I hope his career goes well for him except when he plays us

Guest Jack the Hat
6 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

No and a lack of pace didn’t hinder Sheringham’s career anyway.  

Thierry Henry once said that he wasn’t that fast but he looked it because he set off first . If you have good movement you appear fast because you have a couple of yards start.

Thought he looked a good striker for this level with the potential to do well in the league above. Would be surprised if he ever made it to the PL mind.

Was also surprised he didn't celebrate even more than he did, from Pompey's point of view perhaps he ought to have gone the whole hog and cup his ears to the kop etc. to try and get the home crowd and players to really lose the plot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

23 years of age, can shoot with both feet, quick, strong, tall, hits the target, good movement, can get the ball out of his feet quickly.

Literally has all the attributes to be a top striker. Not saying he will go on to be a world beater, but those attributes will mean someone in the Championship will take a punt on him next season. 

23 years old, 13 goals. He’s a talent. 

Another season in League One would be better for him to see if he can prove himself again over a full season. I think he has the potential for 20 plus goals if he starts every week.

If he goes to Championship and ends up with occasional starts and ends up with 4 goals it won't develop him.

And a good season in League One next year gets him a top half Championship team year after possibly.

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Probably cos he didn't sign a contract with us and went to leicesters foreign puppet club so we didn't receive any money for him after years of development meaning we not only missed out on his services but on any cash we would have been due. I reckon that's why. 

But nobody on here actually knows what he was offered and how the meetings went they just speculate

A year with no football will have set his development back. 

The Belgium escapade won't have helped. Often playing left side in 4-2-3-1 in a second rate league. 

Look how long its taken Berahino to get 'English league match sharp'.

He'll make a decent career for himself, of that I have no doubt.

• Like 2