Young George

On 30/04/2022 at 15:41, Doctor Duran said:

Looked decent today and was a threat.

I'd sign him for next season him and Gregory would be an interesting pairing.

Is he better than Windas and Berraito (sorry spelt wrong) ?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Really?

At one end Gregory and Berahino were fighting for every ball, holding up, laying off and apart from a couple of runs towards the end Hirst looked to me like he didn’t want to put in the effort. 

Hirst was isolated with no service 

after that first 15 minutes you could have stuck a cardboard cut out in their front line 

they came into it with a few good chances in the second half but I thought mainly we was comfy 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not sure what’s so difficult to understand.

If Leicester decide to sell him I reckon a top end Championship club will pay a couple of million for him. If Leicester want to loan him out he’ll go to a Championship club who are more likely to give him regular starts. 

A top end Championship aren't going to pay that kind of money for a player with a few goals at the back end of the season in League One.

As I said earlier in the thread he will probably end up at a lower end Championship side, a Bristol City or Birmingham for example. 

If his name wasn't Hirst, some of our fans wouldn't rate him as high as they do. He's done OK in League One, he's not exactly set the world alight. 

3 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

If his name wasn't Hirst, some of our fans wouldn't rate him as high as they do. He's done OK in League One, he's not exactly set the world alight. 

If his name wasn’t Hirst some of our fans wouldn’t dismiss him like they’re doing 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

A top end Championship aren't going to pay that kind of money for a player with a few goals at the back end of the season in League One.

As I said earlier in the thread he will probably end up at a lower end Championship side, a Bristol City or Birmingham for example. 

A couple of million is absolute peanuts for a club with parachute payments. Of course they would take the punt if he was available. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

A couple of million is absolute peanuts for a club with parachute payments. Of course they would take the punt if he was available. 

We'll see.

I think he'll end up at Bristol City personally, uncle Nige and all that.

14 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Rubbish

If we had a striker come through the youth ranks and performing like how George Hirst did for the England youth teams, the exact same sort of ratings would have happened.

It's already starting to happen with Bailey Cadermarteri and his name isn't Hirst

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

If your looking for young forward talent in this league the boy at MKD looks the real deal. Sign him up DC..... Would think he is well out of our price range to be fair.

I think Twine might get himself a PL move tbh.

4 goals yesterday.

He's not even a conventional striker. Looks a real talent.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bucksowl said:

Is he better than Windas and Berraito (sorry spelt wrong) ?

Stats speak for themselves. He's 23 and has scored 13(?) Goals I think for Portsmouth. 

If he wasn't called Hirst and Wednesday were linked with a 23 year old who had scored 13 goals we'd be over the moon, saying he still has potential to improve etc.

Would absolutely take him back at Hillsborough if there ever was the option to.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2022 at 15:48, BIG D said:

I think some people saw a different player than me today. Scored a simple goal but made the space well so I’ll give him that. Literally did nothing of note for the rest of the game bar try. Looks physically the same as he did when he left. I can’t see him playing above this level. 

Thought the same 

1 minute ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Rubbish

If we had a striker come through the youth ranks and performing like how George Hirst did for the England youth teams, the exact same sort of ratings would have happened.

It's already starting to happen with Bailey Cadermarteri and his name isn't Hirst

There isn't the same fanfare about Bailey though, people have noticed him in the last couple of months mainly because we didn't have any recognised strikers available at one point and there was a bit of talk he might get a chance on the bench if we really needed him.

It also isn't just a "get him in the team", it was a "give him a deal he wasn't deserving of" thing with Hirst. People were leaping to conclusions of a lad they had never seen play because he happened to be the son of a club legend.

1 minute ago, HootHoot said:

Stats speak for themselves. He's 23 and has scored 13(?) Goals I think for Portsmouth. 

If he wasn't called Hirst and Wednesday were linked with a 23 year old who had scored 13 goals we'd be over the moon, saying he still has potential to improve etc.

Would absolutely take him back at Hillsborough if there ever was the option to.

That does not answer the point I made he plays at Portsmouth would he get in the current SWFC team, I do not think so. If he came back to SWFC would he start, not sure, would be a no from me if we get promoted may be a yes if we don't, and  we loose one of our current main attackers.

1 minute ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

There isn't the same fanfare about Bailey though, people have noticed him in the last couple of months mainly because we didn't have any recognised strikers available at one point and there was a bit of talk he might get a chance on the bench if we really needed him.

It also isn't just a "get him in the team", it was a "give him a deal he wasn't deserving of" thing with Hirst. People were leaping to conclusions of a lad they had never seen play because he happened to be the son of a club legend.

I don't agree

There definitely has been the same sort of early fanfare about him, it was announced when he came through, there's been threads about his progress, threads about get him in the team and it'll only start to get louder as he progresses and if he stays

I'll admit there was probably more goodwill and people wanting him to succeed "because" of who his dad was, but if Hirst was called John Smith and he's done what he did for our youth team and the England youth teams and people would be pretty damn excited by him coming through to the first team

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bucksowl said:

That does not answer the point I made he plays at Portsmouth would he get in the current SWFC team, I do not think so. If he came back to SWFC would he start, not sure, would be a no from me if we get promoted may be a yes if we don't, and  we loose one of our current main attackers.

And I said the stats speak for themselves. He has scored more goals than Berahino this season has he not? Therefore if you go just by the stats then he'd start over Berahino. 

He might not cut it at championship level but he's clearly developed his game. He's 23 and still has a lot of room to improve. You can't write a player off at that age because you simply don't like him.

Just now, Gob_Bluth said:

I don't agree

There definitely has been the same sort of early fanfare about him, it was announced when he came through, there's been threads about his progress, threads about get him in the team and it'll only start to get louder as he progresses and if he stays

I'll admit there was probably more goodwill and people wanting him to succeed "because" of who his dad was, but if Hirst was called John Smith and he's done what he did for our youth team and the England youth teams and people would be pretty damn excited by him coming through to the first team

I can't agree. Maybe we've just seen it on different platforms or whatever.

The fanfare about Hirst was wild prior to that 2017/18 season.

It's not that same for Cadamarteri.

2 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

And I said the stats speak for themselves. He has scored more goals than Berahino this season has he not? Therefore if you go just by the stats then he'd start over Berahino. 

He might not cut it at championship level but he's clearly developed his game. He's 23 and still has a lot of room to improve. You can't write a player off at that age because you simply don't like him.

Did not say I don't like him sooner have Twine (is it) at MK Dons, he is class (was when we played them)