Young George

Guest DoesJackHunt
4 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

What did he do in his goal celebration that you thought unreasonable?

Got his Kn0b out 

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yes I can see Leicester loaning him out or one of the relegated Prem teams taking a punt on him.

The thing with Hirst is, he has developed quite late in terms of size and stature. He looks like a man now and he’s banging goals in for fun. 

He could still play Premier League.

Okay lol 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

this time last year same posters were saying he’d end up in non-league. 

He’s had ‘one decent ish season’ in league one, now all of a sudden you think you the likes of west brom, norwich et al are going to come knocking? 

Just now, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

The fans that had booed him every time the ball went near him?

That’s my point. I had no thought or intension of booing him until his celebration felt like he stuck two fingers up at the Wednesday fans. I think it’s a shame that’s all. There are those that already had strong feelings against him and I think he lost even more supporters given his celebration. Had he just run off down the pitch celebrating I would not have boo him and cheered every time he was tackled. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

He’s had ‘one decent ish season’ in league one, now all of a sudden you think you the likes of west brom, norwich et al are going to come knocking? 

Yes. If Leicester want to let him go - I can see someone paying a couple of million for him. Otherwise he’ll probs go out on loan to a challenging Championship club.

One decent season but anyone with any sort of knowledge of the game will see a quick, strong, tall striker who can hit them with both feet and has very good movement.

Suck it up. Hirst is a good footballer and has all the attributes clubs are looking for in a striker. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Strikers aged under 25 in league 1 who’s better than him? Twine at MK and that’s about it 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

I think we just need to get over the fact we dropped a clanger on this one. He will go on to have a decent career and fairplay to him.

Let's concentrate on the ones that we do have.

Yes watching him today he’s got the attributes, he’s tall with a bit of pace, good movement and he can finish.

He won’t be as good as his dad but there are some similarities with his dad and the runs he makes.

If you were a scout watching league 1 this season what’s the best young attacking talent in this league? Twine, Lang and Hirst… Is there anyone else above those 3?

• Like 1

Well , there's one thing to come put of the whole fiasco. 

Hopefully it'll be a lesson learnt to approach things differently in future with the talent rising through the ranks. 

I actually think the distant echo of the death knell was was the 24hr spendageddon on Rhodes and Winnall. But that's another thing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Yes watching him today he’s got the attributes, he’s tall with a bit of pace, good movement and he can finish.

He won’t be as good as his dad but there are some similarities with his dad and the runs he makes.

If you were a scout watching league 1 this season what’s the best young attacking talent in this league? Twine, Lang and Hirst… Is there anyone else above those 3?

His dad was a one off, but a career wrecked by injury and let's be honest he didn't look after himself. Which contributed to his injury problems. Imho.

I don't think there are any better younger forwards in L1 and it'll be interesting to see if they move and who to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

One is 23. The other is 33.

At 23 Lee Gregory was playing non-league for Halifax.

Hirst has plenty of years ahead of him. 

He does but that’s no guarantee he’s going to have a better career than Lee Gregory just because he’s playing at a higher level than Gregory was at 23.

He’s also playing at a higher level than Jamie Vardy, Ricky Lambert and Charlie Austin were when they were 23.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

He does but that’s no guarantee he’s going to have a better career than Lee Gregory just because he’s playing at a higher level than Gregory was at 23.

He’s also playing at a higher level than Jamie Vardy, Ricky Lambert and Charlie Austin were when they were 23.

Unless he gets injured Hirst is going to go on and have a decent career isn’t he? Why wouldn’t he? He’s scored 10 in his last 14 league games 

33 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Well , there's one thing to come put of the whole fiasco. 

Hopefully it'll be a lesson learnt to approach things differently in future with the talent rising through the ranks. 

I actually think the distant echo of the death knell was was the 24hr spendageddon on Rhodes and Winnall. But that's another thing.

Absolutely this. We gambled on name players and we lost big time. It makes far more sense to produce, develop and sell players on or we'll never make the kind of money we need to compete. 

It still wrankles about Hirst because of the name but also, a quality striker is the one that makes you the big bucks. Will we get another? He's 23 and in League 1, yeah, but he had a year on the bench for us and a year in the Belgian 2nd division. He could go on to bigger things like Gregory, Lambert or Vardy.