The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

10 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

100% let go. Shiny new stadium with 30k capacity with an option to increase that, in the unlikely event that we are ever a successful club again.ย 

Hillsborough stadium is an absolute dump, it's been neglected for years with no real improvement or even basic up keep and it has the horrendous cloud over it with what happened on the west stand which unfathomably is still there for everyone to see.ย ย 

ย 

Time to go !

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

10 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

100% let go. Shiny new stadium with 30k capacity with an option to increase that, in the unlikely event that we are ever a successful club again.ย 

Hillsborough stadium is an absolute dump, it's been neglected for years with no real improvement or even basic up keep and it has the horrendous cloud over it with what happened on the west stand which unfathomably is still there for everyone to see.ย ย 

ย 

Time to go !

you go to your new shinny 30k faceless kcon bowl in the old airport area then with a nice costa coffee place .. not for me hillsborough is own home ,if it was not there it wouldn`t be sheff weds . ive been to loads of these modern bowl stadiums , there horrible ,ask many an away supporter they love coming to hillsborough love the old fashion proper ground .. yes id sooner west get knocked down and have a new 2 tier stand there but thats a lot of money needed for that , barnsley have a 1936 stand so our stands are positively modern.ย 

and lets drop this been next to a river ,and always floods , its flooded properly only once in 100 years ,with a few close calls , city ground next to trent , fulham next to thamesย  etc etc . the only area in sheffield capable of building a ground is the old airport site and around there its a totally faceless areaย 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

ย 

ย 

Regarding the whole Liverpool thing, we are all dealing in hypothetical scenarios. It is quite remarkable that we've not drawn them once in a cup competition over the last 20 years.ย 

ย 

ย 

whats remarkable about it ?....weve only met them onceย  in a 130 years in the fa cup and once in 53 years in the league cup

Guest DoesJackHunt
3 minutes ago, morganowl said:

you go to your new shinny 30k faceless kcon bowl in the old airport area then with a nice costa coffee place .. not for me hillsborough is own home ,if it was not there it wouldn`t be sheff weds . ive been to loads of these modern bowl stadiums , there horrible ,ask many an away supporter they love coming to hillsborough love the old fashion proper ground .. yes id sooner west get knocked down and have a new 2 tier stand there but thats a lot of money needed for that , barnsley have a 1936 stand so our stands are positively modern.ย 

and lets drop this been next to a river ,and always floods , its flooded properly only once in 100 years ,with a few close calls , city ground next to trent , fulham next to thamesย  etc etc . the only area in sheffield capable of building a ground is the old airport site and around there its a totally faceless areaย 

I like visiting old buildings but I wouldnโ€™t want to live in one.ย 
Thereโ€™s nothing wrong with new stadiums. Iโ€™ve been to loads and I like them. Theyโ€™re new!

5 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

I like visiting old buildings but I wouldnโ€™t want to live in one.ย 
Thereโ€™s nothing wrong with new stadiums. Iโ€™ve been to loads and I like them. Theyโ€™re new!

ย 

I like visiting new buildings, but I wouldn't want to live in one. (live in a 120 year old house and I love it)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
2 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

ย 

I like visiting new buildings, but I wouldn't want to live in one. (live in a 120 year old house and I love it)

I would worry too much about what needs doing. I couldnโ€™t handle the constant maintenance. I like to sit still.ย 

Guest DoesJackHunt
4 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

New stadiums are mostly plastic boxes

ย 

New houses are mostly cardboard boxes.

ย 

Old is best...that's how they get to be old.

But when theyโ€™re really old, theyโ€™re just old and sh!tย 

6 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Some car park that. ย Must have a capacity of 17k cars minimum. ย To clear it in 10 minutes, the average rate of egress has to be 1700 cars per minute. ย Thatโ€™s not including the walk from your seat to your car. ย Impressive.

The whole post was tongue in cheek sarcasm , im with you on this !ย 

3 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

If you want to hang onto something that is 32 years old this year and keep hand wringing over it crack on.ย 

ย 

1. Were Liverpool fans fighting in the Gate prior to leaving at 1450HRS? yes

ย 2. Were Liverpool fans well known for 'jibbing' there way into games and it was common tactics to storm the gates to get the police to let ticketless fans in? Yes

ย 

I could go on

ย 

Seriously, I don't understand the point of bringing all this up and repeating the same old nonsense again and again. It should go without saying, but no-one who went to that match deserved to die and the blame falls squarely on South Yorkshire Police and Bert McGee.

ย 

You say further up the thread that if Liverpool played us now it would just be a normal game without an atmosphere linked to the disaster. But by repeating this stuff again and again all you are doing is fanning the flames and encouraging the media, Liverpool fans, etc. to pile on. It will never be a normal game until we move on, accept it was a tragedy and the Liverpool fans were the innocent victims.

ย 

I also don't think we can take any moral high ground over jibbing and fights at other matches earlier in the 80s. No doubt that did happen in the 80s at some Liverpool games (Heysel being the obvious example) but aren't half the old boy Wednesday stories on here from the 70s and 80s all along similar lines?

• Love 2

Will follow Wednesday wherever we play but if itโ€™s my call that will always be Hillsborough! I get a tingle in my spine every time I pass under the viaduct on Herries Road. Does the old girl need a facelift? Yes. Do I love her any less? No.

ย 

Modern football and modern stadiums are soulless!ย 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, morganowl said:

Thereโ€™s zero space at the old airport site...plus any new ground should be in the north of the city

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

The first question to be answered were we to move to a purpose -built stadium would be WHERE?

ย 

It would be impossible to build it anywhere within the Sheffield boundaries, since the first reason for rebuilding would be flooding!ย 

The areas around central Sheffield, certainly in the nearby areas are all within the flood-plain. Sheffield station is frequently flooded, even more so than Hillsborough, and the land most likely , around Meadowhall was flooded yesterday. Incidentally, Hillsborough was NOT, though nearly so. It would need to be within easy transport links, and Commercial links, and away from propety and Business links.

Most of the credible locations are now Business or retail parksย 

The logistical problem would need to be solved first and foremost. The next most important aspect would be the location of the potential support .Many clubs rely on a local fan base .Wednesday's fan base is spread far and wide with supporters regularly travelling from poits as far afield as such diverse places as Hoyland, Mexborough, Rotherham, Creswell, and Buxton , to name only the places I have lived in or know of. It would be interestingย  for the club to publish the locations of supporters to any given home match.I think people would be surprised at the percentages of Sheffield people to non-Sheffielders aamongst the home fans.

I would suggest a convenient place would be up Long Lane, in the fields opposite Hillsborough golf course, kind of near Bradfield School.ย 
because itโ€™s on top of the hill then water would run down away from the stadium.ย 
plenty of scope to develop training facilities near the ground. Purpose built car parking too. 3 level car parking complex.ย 
could be wonderful !ย 

6C964B4A-AFB6-41DF-9865-CF5FF1027D3F.png

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I would suggest a convenient place would be up Long Lane, in the fields opposite Hillsborough golf course, kind of near Bradfield School.ย 
because itโ€™s on top of the hill then water would run down away from the stadium.ย 
plenty of scope to develop training facilities near the ground. Purpose built car parking too. 3 level car parking complex.ย 
could be wonderful !ย 

6C964B4A-AFB6-41DF-9865-CF5FF1027D3F.png

Reyt accessible by transport of any kind up thereย :duntmatter:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

New stadiums are mostly plastic boxes

ย 

New houses are mostly cardboard boxes.

ย 

Old is best...that's how they get to be old.

But something can't get old if it isn't new in the first place. A new stadium could be built, and still factor in heritage and the like. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bowl style stadium, but sometimes, having to change (I know how much many people hate change) is something we have to roll with. I love going to Hillsborough, the shivers down the spine walking in to the stadium - but this could still happen in a new, purpose built stadium.

Hillsborough is iconic and has been a great home but sadly the complete lack of investment has made it so outdated.ย 
ย 

Old is good if it is maintained and modernised (those saying they live in old houses Iโ€™m sure have up to date interiors.) but hillsborough is a bit of a relic.ย 
ย 

I do agree that Sheffield is not the easiest place to build a new stadium and have no idea where one would go.

• Like 1