The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

Guest DoesJackHunt
7 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

When we move...(hope not btw) will people all of a sudden forget Sheffield Wednesday are associated with the disaster?

I genuinely don't know who played at the Hysel Stadium, so it might.

100% move.  But only if it was actually an improvement, if we could sell the current stadium and training grounds and get a purpose built place.  Plenty of parking for those that drive, super tram and bus access good surrounding amenities that could take advantage of matchday footfall, I would even go as far as to say that for proper facilities I would not be against ground sharing with the grunters. 

YOu dont need to lose your soul just for a move, aslong as the design is right, rather than just looking modern it needs to be modern but with an eye to preserving the atmosphere of being close to the pitch.  

Guest DoesJackHunt
5 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I never said it was - the poo idea is thinking that Wednesday are going to get planning permission for a new stadium and associated facilities in the green belt next to Hillsborough golf club!lol

right

Guest DoesJackHunt
6 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Nobody does, it’s the national stadium.  It’s still there, it was redeveloped and renamed.

right 

1 hour ago, nickswfc said:

Quite a simple one for me this

If we have the money to build a new shiny 30k stadium, we have more than enough money to make Hillsborough more than adequate

Adequate is all it would be, as often the cost of demolishing and rebuilding is greater.

A large cost would be land purchase, unless rented, as Hermes have done from Wentworth estates.

We already rent anyway don't we ?

IMO a blank canvas is the better option, as there are less limitations.

If, where, when ,how, who etc. now there's the big issue.

1 minute ago, leftpeg said:

100% move.  But only if it was actually an improvement, if we could sell the current stadium and training grounds and get a purpose built place.  Plenty of parking for those that drive, super tram and bus access good surrounding amenities that could take advantage of matchday footfall, I would even go as far as to say that for proper facilities I would not be against ground sharing with the grunters. 

YOu dont need to lose your soul just for a move, aslong as the design is right, rather than just looking modern it needs to be modern but with an eye to preserving the atmosphere of being close to the pitch.  

I'd be happy with a groundshare in a new stadium.

If they can do it in Milan, I'm sure we could manage.

1 hour ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

One of those subjects being the association of our home stadium with the disaster of ‘89. Just because Wednesday have played Liverpool and Everton in the 90s with no issues, does not mean that the disaster will not be brought up again. Since we’ve been out of the EPL there’s been an enquiry which officially found the club to have at fault in several areas contributing to the outcome. ( Yes, locals of S6 have recollections that don’t fit in with the official verdict. ) 

Living outside of Sheffield since June 91, I can tell you that in football conversations with people in Solihull, Derby, Wolverhampton (where I’ve lived since) when asked what team I support, upon answering invariably the disaster gets brought up by them. I’m confident to say this occurs at least 5/10 times. It’s still very much in peoples minds, however much other Wednesday fans want to deny it. 

We can't delete the disaster of '89 from our memories or the history books. 

It won't make any difference, if we re-name the stadium, demolish the stand, move to a different location or rename the whole club or city. There is nothing you can do but accept the history and make sure it does not repeat itself.   (I know what I am talking about. I'm German and we have to live with our history as well).

However, for me as an Owl, Hillsborough is not tainted by the tragedy. It's just our home!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Was against moving until a few years ago, now I think football has moved on to another level yet again and the legacy of the past, disaster and the last 20 years of nightmare need a line drawn under.

Leppings Lane should have been demolished for starters, would have gone some way to lessening the grounds links to it.

7 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Was against moving until a few years ago, now I think football has moved on to another level yet again and the legacy of the past, disaster and the last 20 years of nightmare need a line drawn under.

Leppings Lane should have been demolished for starters, would have gone some way to lessening the grounds links to it.

Whatever would be built on top of the knocked down stand, it will still be on Leppings Lane.

At some point, when required, redevelop the ground a bit - no need to move, or hark on about something that happened ages ago. Tragic things happen everywhere, doesn't mean you have demolish the place they happened.

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Good idea in my opinion.  Redeveloping and renaming don’t you think?

as long as it has those cool beer pumps that fill your pint up from the bottom like they have at spurs 

1 hour ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Adequate is all it would be, as often the cost of demolishing and rebuilding is greater.

A large cost would be land purchase, unless rented, as Hermes have done from Wentworth estates.

We already rent anyway don't we ?

IMO a blank canvas is the better option, as there are less limitations.

If, where, when ,how, who etc. now there's the big issue.

If we somehow became successful, and outgrew Hillsborough and needed bigger capacity, then okay yeah I see the logic in moving

Otherwise it would be silly to move, Hillsborough is a great ground in a great location, that could be modernised relative easily. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

It's nowt a bit of landscaping and earth mover can't sort in a matter of weeks to get it level. 

Nope can't see it - way too steep. Plus there are only two roads around the stadium (M1 obviously doesn't count), parking rubbish. Two single lane roads into Chapeltown from Sheffield direction which are very busy on a Saturday anyway. No parking in the area. Transport not good enough. May have the train which will help people from town. Never used them but I can't see them being bigger than trams and have a lot less frequency.

Anyway, got me googling and came across this on council website which shows brownfield sites in Sheffield. Website says it is an "up to date map" but not sure how upto date as the area in Oughtibridge where they are already building houses is included and so is the old Wisewood school which was having some work doing there last time I went past.

https://sheffieldcc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=58948a14908f4550b0e4cd34e3dad831

Can't see many places really. Always thought Shalesmoor/Neepsend would be good and the area opposite Wickes but looking on the map, not sure if there is enough space there. Old HSBC building? Is that being built on now or is this that available? Lot of building work being done in that area too so even if not on that map, more space could be acquired? Although would have thought all the area within the ring road would be expensive and earmarked for flats anyway. Attercliffe? Woodbourn Stadium?

2 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

If we somehow became successful, and outgrew Hillsborough and needed bigger capacity, then okay yeah I see the logic in moving

Otherwise it would be silly to move, Hillsborough is a great ground in a great location, that could be modernised relative easily. 

But it's not in great location is it, parking is horrendous, access crossing a busy dual carraigeway etc.

'Moderisation' would be very limited due to footprint and if you're going to do it, it needs doing to a future standard and incorporate facilities such as conferencing, social venues etc.

No point just splashing a bit of paint about and upgrading toilets etc. in a make do fashion.

3 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

it's honestly not, not anymore!

Hillsborough has been full about 5 times in the last 20 years. It's way too big for us currently, which makes it look even worse 

Away fans come once a season, I'm sure it's a nice day out, we have to go every week!

New grounds are much better designed for acoustics and accessibility both to the stadium and through the concourses and also the access to amenities.

Loads of clubs have had new stadiums in the last 20/30 years with the injection of serious TV money into the game, 

I find it weird that we still have fans that don't want a piece of that and would rather stay at Hillsborough with it's tired old, shape, stands, concourses, refreshment kiosks (it take 15 mins to get a pint on the north stand at half time, what good is that?)

and for what, some tired old nonsense about it being one of the best grounds in the country (not even in the top 25). For it's history (a horrific disaster), For it's location ( it's prone to flooding). For the fear of moving to a "soulless" stadium. (everyone else is doing it and they seem happy enough)

Hillsborough is an absolute dump !

Flipping heck mate, it’s not that bad. I love the old school feel Hillsborough gives you. Hillsborough has loads of boozers within walking distance to ground. None of this harvester/tgi Fridays retail park B011oxs, it has good old pubs. I even like the fact we have old rusty Turnstiles where you get greeted by a grumpy old man, just because I’m dealing with a human, rather than a machine. I like the fact we have a giant pole on kop that blocks my view at times, and I have to moan about it. Hillsborough might come across as a sh|th01e , but it’s our sh1th0le. I’m sorry but I’m not for this perfect ground where everything there is all perfect. Hillsboroughs got character. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3