The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

If we're going to stay at Hillsborough long-term, it needs much more than 'a small touch up'; it needs major renovation and modernisation to bring it in line with other stadia.

It's been left to wither on the vine for the best part of a quarter of a century.

I'd love to see it properly updated, but the prospects don't look hopeful right now...

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Guest DoesJackHunt

100% let go. Shiny new stadium with 30k capacity with an option to increase that, in the unlikely event that we are ever a successful club again. 

Hillsborough stadium is an absolute dump, it's been neglected for years with no real improvement or even basic up keep and it has the horrendous cloud over it with what happened on the west stand which unfathomably is still there for everyone to see.  

Time to go !

Guest FoxOwl12
4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If we're going to stay at Hillsborough long-term, it needs much more than 'a small touch up'; it needs major renovation and modernisation to bring it in line with other stadia.

It's been left to wither on the vine for the best part of a quarter of a century.

I'd love to see it properly updated, but the prospects don't look hopeful right now...

Plans were drawn up a few years back actually. Pretty good they looked too .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Farticle-1207508%2FHillsborough-A-new-beginning--Sheffield-Wednesday-unveil-stadium-redevelopment-plans.html&psig=AOvVaw1ibEawKmglxt1olJVpW-Z2&ust=1645612629469000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwiZjYHzjpP2AhVIEsAKHeB1CZ4Qr4kDegQIARAe

4 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

100% let go. Shiny new stadium with 30k capacity with an option to increase that, in the unlikely event that we are ever a successful club again. 

Hillsborough stadium is an absolute dump, it's been neglected for years with no real improvement or even basic up keep and it has the horrendous cloud over it with what happened on the west stand which unfathomably is still there for everyone to see.  

Time to go !

Agree..everything’s too big as well...impossible to get an atmosphere..roofs are too high..love to move..as long as we stay in s6..5 or 35

• Like 1

Guest FoxOwl12
5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes, but even the plans for an update which didn't happen are 13 years old!

:duntmatter:

Just pointing out what could be done. I agree, different , better plans could be drawn up now.

14 minutes ago, FoxOwl12 said:

This would be perfect, but just can’t see that kind of investment anytime soon unfortunately. Says in the article it would be cost £25 million and this was in 2009, so how much are we saying that sets us back in today’s world

4 minutes ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

Also how does the cost of building/renovating a stadium work with ffp, especially say for example with chansiri as he owns the stadium and Sheffield Wednesday don’t, would that mean we could spend as much as we’d like on it with no problems

Any spending on the ground does not count towards FFP, Chansiri could build a new ground if he wanted to but can't see him spending millions of his own money with no chance of recouping it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

All comes down to cost, how much is the cost of completely renovating the stadium compared to moving into a new one?

I'm guessing renovation will work out cheaper, but from a commercial point of view a new stadium would be much better. Hillsborough is now constantly being talked about for the wrong reasons. If the world cup bid in 2018 had come off then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

30,000/32,000 with an option to increase would be ideal.

I'm 100% sure that DC will privately have plans drawn up for an alternative location, and if we'd gone up and stayed up, I'm pretty sure we'd have seen those plans publicly by now.

DC's "investment" in Hillsborough so far extends to a new pitch, that we've stopped maintaining, and the scoreboard. Absolutely nothing else in DC's time here suggests he has any interest in the stadium or sees a future in it. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The fact that if you say to anyone not connected with SWFC ‘hillsborough’ the first word they think of is disaster… 

the lack of investment in the old lady over the last 25 years has pretty much sealed her fate.

For me we need to move to a new location that is above the water table with better access. The footballing world has moved on an sadly Hillsborough has been left in the past. I have many fond memories (and bad ones) but I’d definitely welcome a move.

Edited by Sensible Soccer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1