The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

59 minutes ago, the monk said:

I live 10 minutes walk from Hillsborough and there's loads of parking available ( above the Horse and Jockey) 

In my experience I'd much rather leave a ground from a street than a massive car park at £15 a go with a 30- 40 min wait to get out 

I've made this point in a similar topic before, there's ample parking, and by the time you've left the stadium and made it back to your car (10-15 min walk?) The vast majority of traffic, particularly at the bottom of Wadsley Lane, has cleared.

Some folk just seem obsessed with parking around Herries Road and having their wing mirrors smashed.

I do wonder what comparable venues the people that moan about travel around Hillsborough are visiting. Where is this magical stadium where 20,000+ enter and leave at roughly the same time, where you can freely park 10 yards away from and be home inside 5 minutes?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mosborough-owl said:

Have you tried speaking to the club about your issues? Maybe they could help in some way? 

Tbh I haven't,  parking is a nightmare you would have thought there would be more disabled parking round the club but it's shocking it's just something elderly and disabled supporters have to put up with I'm afraid, I've even seen parking tickets on cars with blue badges you only get three hours so if you park at one it's run out before the match end's.

It is total rubbish that there is a problem parking at hillsoborough, every few months someone comes up with this fabrication. Below is what I have posted as a response everytime.

Since passing my driving test I have drove and parked at the vast majority of big match games at Hillsborough. ( Lets call big match 30k plus)

I have never paid for parking

I have never to my knowledge parked illegally

I have not had a parking ticket

I have never not been able to get a parking spot within a 10/15 min walk of the ground

I passed my test in 1980 42 years ago!

If you are able to walk a few hundred yards , get to the ground with plenty of time , park up , there are plenty of facilities from pubs , fast food chains,  shops, small independent take aways etc , Hillsborough provides everything you could reasonably want.

( Disclaimer if you cant walk a few hundred yards clearly you will need to arrange pre booked parking near the ground but  I think you would need to do this at any major location )

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Geedee said:

It is total rubbish that there is a problem parking at hillsoborough, every few months someone comes up with this fabrication. Below is what I have posted as a response everytime.

Since passing my driving test I have drove and parked at the vast majority of big match games at Hillsborough. ( Lets call big match 30k plus)

I have never paid for parking

I have never to my knowledge parked illegally

I have not had a parking ticket

I have never not been able to get a parking spot within a 10/15 min walk of the ground

I passed my test in 1980 42 years ago!

If you are able to walk a few hundred yards , get to the ground with plenty of time , park up , there are plenty of facilities from pubs , fast food chains,  shops, small independent take aways etc , Hillsborough provides everything you could reasonably want.

( Disclaimer if you cant walk a few hundred yards clearly you will need to arrange pre booked parking near the ground but  I think you would need to do this at any major location )

I agree with this 

Because it's true

You might not be able to rock up right outside the players entrance and leave your lexus there, but you can certainly park within walking distance of the ground very easily indeed

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

Be very surprised if there isn't future plans for the club to relocate to a site with a new training ground and stadium. I'm sure it's dependent on consistent Premier League football, which is a million miles away at the moment, but I reckon that would be Chansiri's long term vision.

I love the place, but as somebody else has pointed out, the lack of investment over the last 25 years has pretty much sealed the fate of the stadium. While others have expanded, improved or built new stadiums, we've done the absolute minimum; wrapped the West Stand cladding with a banner of an Owl with a pair of t!ts, put up a new badge on the Kop (that fell off) and paid a fortune for a pitch that we don't maintain properly.

It's actually embarrassing how little we've done. It's like we've purposely run it into the ground and now it's in such a state that it wouldn't even make the maybe list for any future England bids to host a major tournament . And sadly that's the only way the funding would be available to do any major work to it.

4 minutes ago, Bassetts Allsorts said:

Be very surprised if there isn't future plans for the club to relocate to a site with a new training ground and stadium. I'm sure it's dependent on consistent Premier League football, which is a million miles away at the moment, but I reckon that would be Chansiri's long term vision.

I love the place, but as somebody else has pointed out, the lack of investment over the last 25 years has pretty much sealed the fate of the stadium. While others have expanded, improved or built new stadiums, we've done the absolute minimum; wrapped the West Stand cladding with a banner of an Owl with a pair of t!ts, put up a new badge on the Kop (that fell off) and paid a fortune for a pitch that we don't maintain properly.

It's actually embarrassing how little we've done. It's like we've purposely run it into the ground and now it's in such a state that it wouldn't even make the maybe list for any future England bids to host a major tournament . And sadly that's the only way the funding would be available to do any major work to it.

The point I have hightlighted in bold I do not agree with. When we made the shortlist for 2018 the ground was already behind the top grounds in the country. We got onto the shortlist becasue they wanted a ground in this area and a proposal was made to refurbish the ground for that tournament.

Hillsborough is actually in a very good location to hold large events because Hillsborough park can be used as a fan zone or other facility. Bramall Lane just does not have that amount of green space near it.

So I think we would be on the shortlist in future but only on the same basis as last time , that the ground has to be upgraded first.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Geedee said:

The point I have hightlighted in bold I do not agree with. When we made the shortlist for 2018 the ground was already behind the top grounds in the country. We got onto the shortlist becasue they wanted a ground in this area and a proposal was made to refurbish the ground for that tournament.

Hillsborough is actually in a very good location to hold large events because Hillsborough park can be used as a fan zone or other facility. Bramall Lane just does not have that amount of green space near it.

So I think we would be on the shortlist in future but only on the same basis as last time , that the ground has to be upgraded first.

2009 was when the shortlist was announced, feel like our capacity (prob still top 10 back then?) and Hillsborough park sealed it for us. Now I honestly don't think Hillsborough park would be enough for any future bid. While the Blades have developed the Lane, as you say I think they will never get away from the lack of space for a fan park close to the ground. I know they are hosting WEURO 22 this summer, maybe that could stand them in good stead for a future bid. In fact I think Sheffield wouldn't even make the shortlist, which would be a travesty considering it's the home of football. 

2 hours ago, Bassetts Allsorts said:

2009 was when the shortlist was announced, feel like our capacity (prob still top 10 back then?) and Hillsborough park sealed it for us. Now I honestly don't think Hillsborough park would be enough for any future bid. While the Blades have developed the Lane, as you say I think they will never get away from the lack of space for a fan park close to the ground. I know they are hosting WEURO 22 this summer, maybe that could stand them in good stead for a future bid. In fact I think Sheffield wouldn't even make the shortlist, which would be a travesty considering it's the home of football. 

I didnt realise there was a womans tournmanent this summer , its a shame its at S2 looking at it it also says, rotherham, wigan and leigh lol

bu the blades have got one of the semi finals  so credit to them for that.

But I do agree that Hillsborough Park on its own would not be enough for a bid for the mens game. I suppose the call would be to develop the ground at that time.  

We shall see.

8 hours ago, musingowl said:

I've made this point in a similar topic before, there's ample parking, and by the time you've left the stadium and made it back to your car (10-15 min walk?) The vast majority of traffic, particularly at the bottom of Wadsley Lane, has cleared.

Some folk just seem obsessed with parking around Herries Road and having their wing mirrors smashed.

I do wonder what comparable venues the people that moan about travel around Hillsborough are visiting. Where is this magical stadium where 20,000+ enter and leave at roughly the same time, where you can freely park 10 yards away from and be home inside 5 minutes?

Try going to the arena its absolutely carnage if you are stupid enough to drive there, I made the mistake a few years back and never again, 45 minutes to get out the car park after the show finished 15 minutes to get home to Stannington.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Try going to the arena its absolutely carnage if you are stupid enough to drive there, I made the mistake a few years back and never again, 45 minutes to get out the car park after the show finished 15 minutes to get home to Stannington.

Hell yeah - it's horrific

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Park in Natwest on Attercliffe Common mate, thank me later.

But you're spot on, and the arena at full capacity is around 8000 less than your average match at Hillsborough!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, musingowl said:

Exactly this

Some of the newer stadiums can be the hardest and most tedious to get away from

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hodgyowl said:

Tbh I haven't,  parking is a nightmare you would have thought there would be more disabled parking round the club but it's shocking it's just something elderly and disabled supporters have to put up with I'm afraid, I've even seen parking tickets on cars with blue badges you only get three hours so if you park at one it's run out before the match end's.

Yeah I know. My old man struggles with walking now, and In the past when Ive taken him (he doesn’t drive) I have to drop him off 2 hours before at the ground, while I go and meet the lads for a pint cus he can’t walk from the pub in Hillsborough. So I can symphyses with you there. It still might be worth ringing swfc and voicing your points on parking for Disabled.

• Like 2