The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

2 hours ago, Ray Von shabba said:

But it's not in great location is it, parking is horrendous, access crossing a busy dual carraigeway etc.

'Moderisation' would be very limited due to footprint and if you're going to do it, it needs doing to a future standard and incorporate facilities such as conferencing, social venues etc.

No point just splashing a bit of paint about and upgrading toilets etc. in a make do fashion.

Firstly - the Hillsborough area is a fantastic location - close to town, on the supertram route, Hillsborough Park next door and probably the highest concentration of bars/pubs/cafes than anywhere else in the city outside the central area.

But it depends how you define great location

The two issues you've made - parking and the duel carriageway - are issues that are only really rectified by putting a new stadium somewhere with significant land - and you lose all the benefits I've mentioned with Hillsborough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

If you want to call me out feel free to do so - but when you idea is essentially sh i t and has absolutely no chance of happening expect people to do the same 

I wasn’t solely calling you out on your own, but the way you mock an idea that you don’t agree with is particularly distasteful! 

The site you suggested may be on brown field as opposed to Greenbelt but would still require as much renovation and infrastructure of access roads being built. Additionally it would also still be susceptible to flooding with it being built on a plain! 

The point in the suggestion of up by the Golf Course is it’s proximity to Hillsborough still. Also while it may be a bit of a walk, it’s only 30 minute walk from existing stadium. For those who don’t fancy that, the Current stadium could be made into a car park and then a 5 minute shuttle bus ride (park n ride style) to the new stadium. Laugh if you like, but it’s not totally implausible! 

The main critique in my post was of those who rubbish several peoples suggestion that our stadium has a somewhat tarnished image and reputation which like it or not, affects how people view the club as a whole. If so many people have pointed it out, it’s fairly obvious that it’s still a considered view that Joe Public still associate our ground with a disaster. The fact it’s been to parliament and original verdict overturned after many years of appeals by the families of the deceased, has only kept our club in the limelight for all the WRONG reasons. 

We need to move with the times and have a  future proofed purpose built stadium ! 

41 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Like main roads full of buses and Supertrams going past the ground, we will never find a place like that, oh wait....

That's fine if you live in Sheffield but having to drive in then find somewhere near by to park is a fecking nightmare I'm disabled and have to get parked at 12.15 for a three o'clock kick off just to get near the ground it's utter dogger.  

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
57 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Thanks mate. Can you please show me where the link is? I’ve not read every page!

Sorry mate, I’ve tried to post the link but it didn’t seem to work.

its in the matchday section if you want to have a look 

48 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I wasn’t solely calling you out on your own, but the way you mock an idea that you don’t agree with is particularly distasteful! 

The site you suggested may be on brown field as opposed to Greenbelt but would still require as much renovation and infrastructure of access roads being built. Additionally it would also still be susceptible to flooding with it being built on a plain! 

The point in the suggestion of up by the Golf Course is it’s proximity to Hillsborough still. Also while it may be a bit of a walk, it’s only 30 minute walk from existing stadium. For those who don’t fancy that, the Current stadium could be made into a car park and then a 5 minute shuttle bus ride (park n ride style) to the new stadium. Laugh if you like, but it’s not totally implausible! 

The main critique in my post was of those who rubbish several peoples suggestion that our stadium has a somewhat tarnished image and reputation which like it or not, affects how people view the club as a whole. If so many people have pointed it out, it’s fairly obvious that it’s still a considered view that Joe Public still associate our ground with a disaster. The fact it’s been to parliament and original verdict overturned after many years of appeals by the families of the deceased, has only kept our club in the limelight for all the WRONG reasons. 

We need to move with the times and have a  future proofed purpose built stadium ! 

Topography not one of your strongpoints?

6 hours ago, leftpeg said:

100% move.  But only if it was actually an improvement, if we could sell the current stadium and training grounds and get a purpose built place.  Plenty of parking for those that drive, super tram and bus access good surrounding amenities that could take advantage of matchday footfall, I would even go as far as to say that for proper facilities I would not be against ground sharing with the grunters. 

YOu dont need to lose your soul just for a move, aslong as the design is right, rather than just looking modern it needs to be modern but with an eye to preserving the atmosphere of being close to the pitch.  

We don't own the training ground and another use for the stadium site is probably limited due to where it is.

2 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

I'm with you.  I also think that the design/size of Hillsborough adversely impacts on crowd atmosphere.

Did you go to the Kaiserslautern game or the play off semi against Brighton..or maybe the Wycombe game last time promoted out of the pub league...or maybe the boxing day game in 1979...and many many more

In fact have you ever been to Hillsborough?.

If we are crap the atmosphere will be crap no matter where the foook we play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Did you go to the Kaiserslautern game or the play off semi against Brighton..or maybe the Wycombe game last time promoted out of the pub league...or maybe the boxing day game in 1979...and many many more

In fact have you ever been to HillsborougInh?.

If we are crap the atmosphere will be crap no matter where the foook we play.

lol Priceless.

Our stadium adversely affects the atmosphere in the same way that watching a small local band playing the O2 Arena would

It's just too big and expansive for the size of crowds that we get

It's not anyone's fault it's just how it is

Same with any entertainment venue - you ideally want to the venue to be the same capacity size wise as the number of tickets sold, whether that be a live music gig, a comedy show or a football match

• Like 7

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Our stadium adversely affects the atmosphere in the same way that watching a small local band playing the O2 Arena would

It's just too big and expansive for the size of crowds that we get

It's not anyone's fault it's just how it is

Same with any entertainment venue - you ideally want to the venue to be the same capacity size wise as the number of tickets sold, whether that be a live music gig, a comedy show or a football match

Agreed and the gig analogy is a good one. The open corners also have some adverse impact IMO.

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
5 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Thanks mate. Can you please show me where the link is? I’ve not read every page!

I didn’t realise you were a mod mate and miss read your post. I get the sarcasm, very droll. If it’s any consolation, my job bores me as well. 

14 hours ago, Hodgyowl said:

That's fine if you live in Sheffield but having to drive in then find somewhere near by to park is a fecking nightmare I'm disabled and have to get parked at 12.15 for a three o'clock kick off just to get near the ground it's utter dogger.  

Have you tried speaking to the club about your issues? Maybe they could help in some way? 

26 minutes ago, the monk said:

I live 10 minutes walk from Hillsborough and there's loads of parking available ( above the Horse and Jockey) 

In my experience I'd much rather leave a ground from a street than a massive car park at £15 a go with a 30- 40 min wait to get out 

Anybody would unless they’re trying to make a strawman argument for moving.

• Like 2