The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

Just now, Sham67 said:

It’s irrelevant.  Have Heysel, Ibrox or Valley Parade been demolished or redeveloped?

Dunno if I'm honest

Either way it's a point that is always gonna be raised whilstever we play at Hillsborough Stadium

As you've just proven by listing the grounds above!

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Is it just me who finds the use of the tragic deaths of 97 fellow football fans, to point score in this discussion extremely distasteful?

Point scoring? What are you on about? Whether we like it or not 97 fellow football fans died at our stadium. If this isn’t a valid and fair reason to want to move to a new stadium, what is?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Dunno if I'm honest

Either way it's a point that is always gonna be raised whilstever we play at Hillsborough Stadium

As you've just proven by listing the grounds above!

They’ve all been redeveloped.  One has had a change of name.  I wouldn’t be opposed to readopting Owlerton.

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

Point scoring? What are you on about? Whether we like it or not 97 fellow football fans died at our stadium. If this isn’t a valid and fair reason to want to move to a new stadium, what is?

We’ll have to disagree on that point.  A redeveloped Hillsborough with a fitting memorial would be a better way of remembering their loss. 

• Like 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
59 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

How come the four biggest clubs in Britain have remained and redeveloped their existing stadia?

Man Utd 

Liverpool 

Chelsea 

and ...........er.............Norwich?

Just now, DoesJackHunt said:

Man Utd 

Liverpool 

Chelsea 

and ...........er.............Norwich?

Britain.  I know most English people think it’s synonymous with England, however it’s a union of 3 nations and a gerrymandered province.

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

Britain.  I know most English people think it’s synonymous with England, however it’s a union of 3 nations and a gerrymandered province.

Ah...Wrexham 

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

The Sheffield Uni sports ground is at Warminster Road where United used to train (I have played Rugby up there many times) so they aren't exactly local and easy to access for the students.

Not sure where the Polytechnic sports ground is

(Sheffield Hallam) Bawtry Road, Tinsley. They spent millions on it a few years ago.

I was talking to Steve Kiddy just before he left and he said it would cost as much to 'put Hillsborough right' as it would to build a new stadium. He didn't exactly say it was knackered but he did mention it needed millions spending on it just to get it to where it needed to be before it all started falling to pieces.

• Thanks 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
2 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Would people be opposed to knocking down the West Stand and rebuilding a new one called "The Memorial Stand"?

i certainly wouldn't ,especially if it had those cool beer pumps that fill your pint up from the bottom like they have at Spurs. 

4 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Would people be opposed to knocking down the West Stand and rebuilding a new one called "The Memorial Stand"?

I think there's no real need to call it that - if you're going to knock down the west stand and build a new one the last thing I'd do is refer straight back to the tragedy in that way

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

40 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

We’ll have to disagree on that point.  A redeveloped Hillsborough with a fitting memorial would be a better way of remembering their loss. 

Said this in another thread but I'm fairly sure that the Liverpool families were offered a different memorial and turned the offer down. Not sure they travel to Hillsborough anymore for a memorial service.

• Like 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
15 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Yep - name it the Derek Dooley stand or something that has reverence to our supporters and history

As long as it has those cool beer pumps that fill your pint from the bottom like they have at Spurs. 

We seem to go through this same discussion about whether or not we should leave Hillsborough every few months.

As I see it there is nothing wrong with Hillsborough that can't be put right with appropriate investment, but it needs a long term properly thought out plan. Yes it will cost money but would it cost as much as completely moving somewhere else?

Needs to start with the West Stand and then take it from there, but there is no reason why Hillsborough can't be our home for the next 100 years (and a thoroughly modern  and fit for purpose one) with the right planning and investment.

• Like 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think there's no real need to call it that - if you're going to knock down the west stand and build a new one the last thing I'd do is refer straight back to the tragedy in that way

Could call it the - The Stand that has cool beer pumps that fill your pint from the bottom like at Spurs Stand

4 hours ago, Sham67 said:

We were in the top division for 11 years after the disaster. Played Liverpool at home every season with none of thisbollox.

Yes, we did, but that was still in a world where people had either moved on, weren't thinking about it anymore, or were happy to just think it was all their fault anyway.

Like it or not, the conversation around it IS different now. Since we last played Liverpool, the conversation has been dragged back up, re-heated, fresh blame pointed, narrative angles completely changed. The conversation around the disaster is NOT the same now as it was in the 90's. 

Honestly, I think the next time we play Liverpool will be an absolute nightmare for us - especially if it's at Hillsborough. There will be drama and it will feel like our club is being attacked by some quarters. The media will whip it right up. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Yes it will cost money but would it cost as much as completely moving somewhere else?

This is the thing. It wouldn't surprise me if the numbers have already been crunched on this, with the answer being that it's cheaper to move.

DC has owned SWFC since 2015 and owned the stadium outright since 2019/2020 (ish? When was it he bought the ground?). In that time he's bought a pitch that isn't being maintained properly and a scoreboard. If Wednesday's future was at Hillsborough, wouldn't he have gone further?

When did the Wednesdayite car park get sold for that development? For me that's one of the bigger signs. There's no way the club couldn't have seen a use for that land and bought it if the long term was developing Hillsborough.