The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

7 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Shopping malls? You simply aren't going to get planning permission for shopping malls and who is going to want a shopping mall in a football ground.

Conferencing and the like is the way forward use for weddings and other such like events.

Totally agree how many grounds in the Uk or Europe for that matter have shopping Malls and cinemas incorporated in to them 

Who ever is suggesting this is living a dream world or has been playing to many fantasy computer games 

This is Sheffield we have a town centre dying on its arse due to lack of foot fall and investment, we have a shopping centre on the outskirts of the city that is currently struggling and we have a purpose built music arena that is not drawing the big names to it anymore, so there is absolutely no way any Sheffield council will approve any outlandish fantasy all encompassing super facility at the expense of everyone else 

2 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

How would they use it?! The 2 unis are massive and if they needed something, they would have built it already

The Sheffield Uni sports ground is at Warminster Road where United used to train (I have played Rugby up there many times) so they aren't exactly local and easy to access for the students.

Not sure where the Polytechnic sports ground is

7 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Totally agree how many grounds in the Uk or Europe for that matter have shopping Malls and cinemas incorporated in to them 

Who ever is suggesting this is living a dream world or has been playing to many fantasy computer games 

This is Sheffield we have a town centre dying on its arse due to lack of foot fall and investment, we have a shopping centre on the outskirts of the city that is currently struggling and we have a purpose built music arena that is not drawing the big names to it anymore, so there is absolutely no way any Sheffield council will approve any outlandish fantasy all encompassing super facility at the expense of everyone else 

The arena is a big tin shed ,it's not a purpose built music venue.

Been twice ,would never go back

Edited by mildatheart67

1 minute ago, mildatheart67 said:

The arena is a big tin shed ,it's not a purpose built music venue.

Been twice ,would never go back

it is a big tin shed but it is also described on Wiki as a multi purpose arena for concerts and sporting events 

My point is the council will not give the green light for a competitor to it 

Just now, PARKOWL said:

it is a big tin shed but it is also described on Wiki as a multi purpose arena for concerts and sporting events 

My point is the council will not give the green light for a competitor to it 

Like most of SCC owned facilities it is under utilised due to the lack of vision. Leeds new arena has overtaken it inside of 3 years as a music venue 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

People acting like it’s flood every other week, it’s flood twice in the last 15 years or whatever it is, to move away from such a historic ground because of that is ridiculous yes.

Not really, climate change is only going to make it worse. Since we don’t own the ground it’s chansiris responsibility to invest in suitable flood defences, amongst other things. Judging by the sheer lack of investment in the other infrastructure I can’t  see that happening anytime soon. 

8 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Still waiting.

The only way of building a stadium without access issues is to build it somewhere other than Sheffield. Maybe even outside the North of England all together. It’s all pie in the sky IMO. It’s one of the basic rules of development. If a place is any good some other bûgger has already built something on it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CircleSeven said:

The only way of building a stadium without access issues is to build it somewhere other than Sheffield. Maybe even outside the North of England all together. It’s all pie in the sky IMO. It’s one of the basic rules of development. If a place is any good some other bûgger has already built something on it!

In the 50 years I’ve been going and at the over 80 stadiums I’ve visited.  I haven’t found one that doesn’t have a traffic snarl up after a game.  Happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

In the 50 years I’ve been going and at the over 80 stadiums I’ve visited.  I haven’t found one that doesn’t have a traffic snarl up after a game.  Happy to be proved wrong.

When we've played Derby away we get home quicker than we do from Hillsborough. 

3 hours ago, FattyOwl72 said:

*sigh*
’there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it’. If we continue to remain a division 3 irrelevance then Hillsborough in its current state is probably just fine.

If we actually want to be top tier, hold big important games - international women, U23 internationals and the like - then we are a million miles off and S6 probably isn’t able to be brought up to standard.

I know it’s an unpopular view. I know the vast majority are superglued to our ‘history’. But the reality is, on so many levels (pretty much every tangible level in fact), Hillsborough holds us back. 

We moved before, time to move again.

Yeh let’s move so we can have international women and u23 games there, what a privilege that would be lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I'm really not sure. 

The South Stand is fine. Probably needs modernising a bit but is fine. The North is my favourite stand in football but would need a total rethink and extension of the concourse areas.

If people are serious about renovation then you'd have to pull the Leppings Lane and Kop down. The kop is literally built on a mound of mud. It would need a completely new structure. As would the Lepp, which of course should arguably have happened decades ago. And at the end of it, you've still got a stadium that's a flood risk, that the police seem to struggle to police properly, that isn't particularly great for parking etc and with little room for any additional facilities or development around it. 

I love Hillsborough and would be devastated if the decision is ever made to leave, but if you take emotion out of it, I think it becomes quite easy to justify a move. Ultimately some of the biggest clubs in the country have left stadiums as historic and traditional, and as loved by their fans, as Hillsborough is to us. And if you're DC with no prior connection to the club, with access to numbers and consultations that moving would be cheaper and more commercially viable.. 

Even the South Stand is a problem because it always shades the pitch. Sheff Cam put a great video up on youtube about the pitch problems., and how the south touchline never gets any sun (and how new stadia are designed to allow lots of sunlight, and how tiny grounds with low stands are likely to have a better pitch than ours). Perhaps the South needs a clear roof.

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

I’d love someone to tell where this mythical stadium that doesn’t have ‘access issues’ is.

Every one of em , its just hillsborough every other ground can cope with 30k people arriving en masse to gather on half a dozen acres 

You go to Old Trafford ,arrive at your leisure ,park up then a 100 metre stroll in to the ground , full time its all cleared of traffic within 10 mins ,and most other grounds the same , especially Arsenal where its that efficient the ground is half empty with 10 minutes still to play! ( wonder why?)

I think what a good few of these grounds have is good transport links like dual carriageways and Tram stops 

Outside their stadiums ......   ,if only we had  !

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, the monk said:

Every one of em , its just hillsborough every other ground can cope with 30k people arriving en masse to gather on half a dozen acres 

You go to Old Trafford ,arrive at your leisure ,park up then a 100 metre stroll in to the ground , full time its all cleared of traffic within 10 mins ,and most other grounds the same , especially Arsenal where its that efficient the ground is half empty with 10 minutes still to play! ( wonder why?)

I think what a good few of these grounds have is good transport links like dual carriageways and Tram stops 

Outside their stadiums ......   ,if only we had  !

Some car park that.  Must have a capacity of 17k cars minimum.  To clear it in 10 minutes, the average rate of egress has to be 1700 cars per minute.  That’s not including the walk from your seat to your car.  Impressive.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

We were in the top division for 11 years after the disaster. Played Liverpool at home every season with none of thisbollox.

Im happy to be corrected, but Im pretty sure the last time we played them there was some animosity from their fans, many of them boycotted the game at Hillsborough.

Seem to remember it being close to the 10 year anniversary of the disaster and there were also strong feelings from their supporters directed toward the clubs for refusing to put up a fitting/better memorial