The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I'll have a pop - we would need corporate sponsorship and IF DC is still here TUF or the like would be an option. The ground would need to be somewhere that has great transport links and be accessible for 7 day use. 

I put an option up at the side of J35 as this is still available through the coalfield regeneration scheme. There are options but lets be realistic as well - We must get promoted to the Championship for this to be even a dream, with a realistic vision of getting to the PL in the coming seasons

Some good sound reasoning there (rather than the 'can you go out and do a geological appraisal and go find some investors' that other posters like to do

One thing I would say is that if Chansiri IS here for the long run as he suggests and promises he is, then surely he could crack on with this project and build for the future now rather than later?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Im happy to be corrected, but Im pretty sure the last time we played them there was some animosity from their fans, many of them boycotted the game at Hillsborough.

Seem to remember it being close to the 10 year anniversary of the disaster and there were also strong feelings from their supporters directed toward the clubs for refusing to put up a fitting/better memorial

You’re right. There was a total boycott that day. I think it was our penultimate season in the PL and it was to do with memorial issues. 

We beat em any road

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

See this is one of those things where someone comes on and posts 'But if he goes who would we get?' like it's the fans responsibility to go out and do the chairman's business for him

It's not for US to identify a solution or a buyer or an investor or a plot of ******** land ffs

Hate these kind of posts where someone posts 'but who will buy us if the chairman goes' 

THAT'S NOT OUR JOB TO FIND SOMEONE

Now...

I've pointed out that plenty of clubs have easily simply moved ground, developed a new ground and paid for it 

instead of saying back to me 'yeah but where would it be and who would pay for it?' just look at the fact that if the desire is there it can be done easily and simply

Let's not be trying to push the responsibility onto Sheffield Wednesday fans to be going out doing archeological digs and surveys to determine the ideal plot of land, and then going out to find mutl-milion dollar investors and sponsors ffs

Perhaps the owner does not want to leave Hillsboro so why should he look for an investor?  

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Some good sound reasoning there (rather than the 'can you go out and do a geological appraisal and go find some investors' that other posters like to do

One thing I would say is that if Chansiri IS here for the long run as he suggests and promises he is, then surely he could crack on with this project and build for the future now rather than later?

Agree - lets start to invest long term for the future as has been stated. We need significant investment in the training facilities and also major investment in Hillsborough. 

This would need a full cost benefit analysis study completing and then go from there

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

Seen a discussion on Twitter about wether Hillsborough will be our home in the future and if people would be happy to relocate or not. A lot of people saying we should move because we’re too prone to flooding next to the don, which is just ridiculous imo, another point is obviously the history that has been over our heads for the last 30+ Years that still haunts us. Personally I think that the west stand should’ve been knocked down years ago aswell with that corner that is a wasteland now and we should’ve rebuilt a new stand connecting up to the north. That current west stand is the only thing that’s wrong with Hillsborough, it’s a mess and it’s unsafe for the most part, for the rest of the ground there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it and it’s one of the best grounds in the country, just needs a small touch up.

opinions?

That current west stand is the only thing that’s wrong with Hillsborough…

Concourses around the ground are too small.

Toilets lacking space, decent hot water. Still in the 20th century.

Gas / electricity supply to North / Kop insufficient for anything above basic catering is inadequate.

Narrow stairways on North. Not sure about other stands.
Flood risk.

Pitch (possibly) contributing to injuries.

Difficulty varying number of seats available to away/home fans. 

You could also add external issues such as inadequate car parking and over zealous ticketing. 
Not much wrong with Hillsborough when you think about it.

1 minute ago, Tamworthowl said:

That current west stand is the only thing that’s wrong with Hillsborough…

Concourses around the ground are too small.

Toilets lacking space, decent hot water. Still in the 20th century.

Gas / electricity supply to North / Kop insufficient for anything above basic catering is inadequate.

Narrow stairways on North. Not sure about other stands.
Flood risk.

Pitch (possibly) contributing to injuries.

Difficulty varying number of seats available to away/home fans. 

You could also add external issues such as inadequate car parking and over zealous ticketing. 
Not much wrong with Hillsborough when you think about it.

Nowt that can’t be fixed.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Because they chose to

Here's MY question - How come other clubs have moved just fine by finding somewhere their new stadium would be and having someone pay for it

Feel free to have a pop at answering that one

I may be miles off but I believe 

Paid for by owners 

Middlesboro

Derby 

MK Dons

Reading

Brentford

Paid for by sponsors 

Arsenal

Bolton

Burton

Brighton

Leicester 

Paid for or part paid for  by council 

York 

Man City 

West Ham 

Swansea

Cardiff

Rotherham

Bound to be loads ive missed or got wrong but its from the best of my knowledge 

Just now, PARKOWL said:

I may be miles off but I believe 

Paid for by owners 

Middlesboro

Derby 

MK Dons

Reading

Brentford

Paid for by sponsors 

Arsenal

Bolton

Burton

Brighton

Leicester 

Paid for or part paid for  by council 

York 

Man City 

West Ham 

Swansea

Cardiff

Rotherham

Bound to be loads ive missed or got wrong but its from the best of my knowledge 

Good list mate thank you 

Lots of clubs moving stadiums - showing it can be done

The typical Sheffielder has a tendency to look on the least ambitious side of life and just say 'it won't ever happen to us' or 'it cant' ever happen here' etc which is sad but that's Sheffield for you

Owlstalk Shop

I’ve no objection to moving in principle.  My first preference would be to remain and redevelop.  However to do that, we’d need to demolish the houses on one side of Vere Road and Emma’s barbers and the houses between there at the ground.  That may make the cost prohibitive and relocation then becomes cost effective.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Good list mate thank you 

Lots of clubs moving stadiums - showing it can be done

The typical Sheffielder has a tendency to look on the least ambitious side of life and just say 'it won't ever happen to us' or 'it cant' ever happen here' etc which is sad but that's Sheffield for you

could also do a list of redeveloped grounds to for balance, personally im in the redevelop camp not only for the history and belonging but for the area I live in  

9 minutes ago, Howards back said:

Does the owner want to leave Hillsboro?

I'll leave you to it mate

Your requests for geographical surveys by fans, for the fans to go out and secure funding for a new stadium, and now requesting to know from fans what is in the chairmans head is beyond my pay grade

ta

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

I’ve no objection to moving in principle.  My first preference would be to remain and redevelop.  However to do that, we’d need to demolish the houses on one side of Vere Road and Emma’s barbers and the houses between there at the ground.  That may make the cost prohibitive and relocation then becomes cost effective.

Unless you built UP and not OUT?

Owlstalk Shop

Moving to a new stadium needs to happen at some stage in the future to help us progress as a club as I do feel

Hillsborough holds us back for a variety of reasons not least it being the scene of one of the worst sporting disasters seen at a stadium in this country?

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Moving to a new stadium needs to happen at some stage in the future to help us progress as a club as I do feel

Hillsborough holds us back for a variety of reasons not least it being the scene of one of the worst sporting disasters seen at a stadium in this country?

Is it just me who finds the use of the tragic deaths of 97 fellow football fans, to point score in this discussion extremely distasteful?

• Like 1