The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

Just now, SolihullOwl79 said:

Have you not considered that new roads could be part of the development! 

Aye they are going to sink new roads across the start of the green belt to accommodate a huge football stadium and all the associated facilities it would require to be 21st century. 

I love a drink or 3 but this is even too early for me to be pissed on a Wednesday morning lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
23 hours ago, Mosborough-owl said:

We don’t need to move. We are in a decent location. Just needs some TLC. Maybe modernise it a little. I would hate to Move and have a soulless same old same old ground with no character. 

When Hillsborough dies will it's soul go to heaven? 

Modernising a little ? half of it's essentially derelict

Guest DoesJackHunt
26 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Now you are talking complete balls - if that was the case there would be no safety certificate issued but hey ho

it's an exaggeration yes... but it's not complete balls. 

The west corner is derelict and has no safety certificate. 

The north stand and kop feel more and more like tin sheds every year and the west stand should have been torn down 30 years ago. 

People going on about Hillsborough having a soul and new stadiums being soulless just seems daft to me. There's no atmosphere at Hillsborough anymore anyway. 

It's a tired old ground which was good 30 years ago. It's just embarrassing these days in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

it's an exaggeration yes... but it's not complete balls. 

The west corner is derelict and has no safety certificate. 

The north stand and kop feel more and more like tin sheds every year and the west stand should have been torn down 30 years ago. 

People going on about Hillsborough having a soul and new stadiums being soulless just seems daft to me. There's no atmosphere at Hillsborough anymore anyway. 

It's a tired old ground which was good 30 years ago. It's just embarrassing these days in my opinion. 

Our ground is a throwback, and away fans love coming to Hillsborough. Yes the atmosphere is crap atm, but that’s obviously down to our position as a club, not the ground. The ground hasn’t lost its atmosphere over 30years because it’s got old, it’s lost its atmosphere cus we’re gash. A full Hillsborough that’s rocking is one of the best in the county. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I would suggest a convenient place would be up Long Lane, in the fields opposite Hillsborough golf course, kind of near Bradfield School. 
because it’s on top of the hill then water would run down away from the stadium. 
plenty of scope to develop training facilities near the ground. Purpose built car parking too. 3 level car parking complex. 
could be wonderful ! 

6C964B4A-AFB6-41DF-9865-CF5FF1027D3F.png

No thanks, plenty of brownfield sites in Sheffield without digging up the green belt. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

I will say it again - This is ideal for training facilities development and even a new stadium as there is also ample room over the other side of the road for a brand new training facility 

image.png.f251fd1333c2edbcf3e18c40964f0f0d.png

Too hilly there. I walked over the grey part from top to bottom with the dog once and I don't even know what it is. Bike track? But anyway, the trees (green bit) to the left of the bike track (grey bit) is quite steep heading towards Chapeltown Park and the houses below it. Same towards the M1 too, quite hilly/bumpy.

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 minute ago, Mosborough-owl said:

Our ground is a throwback, and away fans love coming to Hillsborough. Yes the atmosphere is crap atm, but that’s obviously down to our position as a club, not the ground. The ground hasn’t lost its atmosphere over 30years because it’s got old, it’s lost its atmosphere cus we’re gash. A full Hillsborough that’s rocking is one of the best in the county. 

it's honestly not, not anymore!

Hillsborough has been full about 5 times in the last 20 years. It's way too big for us currently, which makes it look even worse 

Away fans come once a season, I'm sure it's a nice day out, we have to go every week!

New grounds are much better designed for acoustics and accessibility both to the stadium and through the concourses and also the access to amenities.

Loads of clubs have had new stadiums in the last 20/30 years with the injection of serious TV money into the game, 

I find it weird that we still have fans that don't want a piece of that and would rather stay at Hillsborough with it's tired old, shape, stands, concourses, refreshment kiosks (it take 15 mins to get a pint on the north stand at half time, what good is that?)

and for what, some tired old nonsense about it being one of the best grounds in the country (not even in the top 25). For it's history (a horrific disaster), For it's location ( it's prone to flooding). For the fear of moving to a "soulless" stadium. (everyone else is doing it and they seem happy enough)

Hillsborough is an absolute dump !

Without mentioning names, some people on this site are quick to insult other peoples ideas, and infer there is something wrong with that person for having an idea that differs to their own. 

One of those subjects being the association of our home stadium with the disaster of ‘89. Just because Wednesday have played Liverpool and Everton in the 90s with no issues, does not mean that the disaster will not be brought up again. Since we’ve been out of the EPL there’s been an enquiry which officially found the club to have at fault in several areas contributing to the outcome. ( Yes, locals of S6 have recollections that don’t fit in with the official verdict. ) 

Living outside of Sheffield since June 91, I can tell you that in football conversations with people in Solihull, Derby, Wolverhampton (where I’ve lived since) when asked what team I support, upon answering invariably the disaster gets brought up by them. I’m confident to say this occurs at least 5/10 times. It’s still very much in peoples minds, however much other Wednesday fans want to deny it. 

The Wednesday will survive away from Hillsborough, so long as it’s not a Wimbledon/Mk Dons rebrand kind of move. The district of Sheffield is very big and a new stadium can be on the outskirts without too much issue. 

There’s no reason why a new stadium has to be a nondescript bowl either. Things like the existing clock tower can be carefully moved for example. 

It should definitely incorporate things like a an inbuilt club shop, branded catering facilities with mix of independent and chain. Fully kitted out conference and events facilities. Ability to host non football events like concerts. 

A possible is Potentially underground parking and multi-storey car park like in a shopping complex. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I reckon a new stadium would be built in the east end of Sheffield. Somewhere around Carbrook which funnily enough was the other location option Wednesday had to decide on when leaving Olive Grove). That area is prime land for a stadium, huge brownfield sites, accessible by train, tram, motorway . Its connected up to most of Sheffield via dual carriageways/main roads and is probably twice as accessible to those coming from further afield. Still North Sheffield too, just North East instead of North West. 

1 hour ago, RockieOwl said:

Too hilly there. I walked over the grey part from top to bottom with the dog once and I don't even know what it is. Bike track? But anyway, the trees (green bit) to the left of the bike track (grey bit) is quite steep heading towards Chapeltown Park and the houses below it. Same towards the M1 too, quite hilly/bumpy.

It's nowt a bit of landscaping and earth mover can't sort in a matter of weeks to get it level. 

1 hour ago, Howards back said:

That area is designated as ancient woodland ( no I don’t get it either) a few years ago they wanted to build a motorway services there and I think it was turned down. 

I didn't know that, I thought it was still part of the coalfield regeneration estate as well? 

Without mentioning names, some people on this site are quick to insult other peoples ideas, and infer there is something wrong with that person for having an idea that differs to their own. 

If you want to call me out feel free to do so - but when you idea is essentially sh i t and has absolutely no chance of happening expect people to do the same 

• Like 3

Guest DoesJackHunt
5 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

If you want to call me out feel free to do so - but when you idea is essentially sh i t and has absolutely no chance of happening expect people to do the same 

it has no chance of happening but moving to a new ground is far from a sh!t idea. 

Living outside of Sheffield since June 91, I can tell you that in football conversations with people in Solihull, Derby, Wolverhampton (where I’ve lived since) when asked what team I support, upon answering invariably the disaster gets brought up by them. I’m confident to say this occurs at least 5/10 times. It’s still very much in peoples minds, however much other Wednesday fans want to deny it. 

When we move...(hope not btw) will people all of a sudden forget Sheffield Wednesday are associated with the disaster?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Reyt accessible by transport of any kind up there :duntmatter:

I walk round there most days.  Wouldn’t be a problem for me.lol

On a serious note, it might not be a bad location for a new academy etc..

• Like 1