Barry Bannan

4 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I can't remember him playing as far forward as he is now, also the system with 3 in centre midfield midfield s ideal for him.

The midfield regularly got overrun when we played Bannan and A N other in central midfield.

All true. 

We need player of his quality high up the pitch to keep ball in opposition' 3'th and create chances. 

It is key that We find a way to feed him ball in that position. 

My best post I've come across there was in the matchday thread when they referred to us as an "untouchable debt ridden club that the EFL will slap on the wrist."

You do realise we got a 6 point deduction, transfer embargo for x amount of windows and relegation to League One right? 

That sure is a slap on the wrist...

Baz is a sublime footballer but is better suited when he has better players around him , that’s why he sometimes gets frustrated and throws his arms around 

Playing with Pelupessy last few years must have been purgatory for him compared to Byers and Luongo 

and the critics still roll out the keep him off dead ball and corners myth 

He is the best at the club at them it’s not his fault seldom do we get on the end of them , maybe that will change with the addition of some decent centre backs 

and boy does he love the club 

we are very fortunate to have him 

the best signing by far over the last decade 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve read loads of fans slate BB over the years and always thought bizarre. 
Anyone who questions his ability, quality or commitment don’t know anything about football. 
Every manager praises him, every player praises him, opponents praise him, teams set up to stop him playing and as yesterday proved they couldn’t stop him. 
Absolute quality player and if we had lost him fans would then have realised what is missing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

For too long we played him as a deep lying midfielder where we didn't get the best out of him.

Now playing as an attacking midfielder where his vision and execution hurt the opponents. Smashing player in this position.

Partly because we had no one else to compliment him in midfield. Bannan tended to drop deep to pick the ball up, because he didn't have a Luongo or a Byers giving him the licence to push a bit higher. 

Ironically I think our midfield now with that three is probably better than anything we've had in the Championship since 2015/16. We are now seeing the same Bannan as when he first arrived at the club.

That's not to say he was poor for the past few seasons. He was still very very good, but not picking up the ball in positions where he could really hurt the opposition.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sexpistol said:

2015/16 season he was immense and was in the Championship team of the year that season.

He was also voted our player of the year in 2020/21, and in the Owlstalk player ratings threads the only time a player has averaged over 7 for a whole season was Bannan in 2017/18.

(I'm just putting the finishing touches to adding up the 2015/16 scores - I suspect Bannan and Forestieri are in contention for a rating over 7 for that season).

I'm a big Bannan fan and his commitment and work rate, along with his injury record is superb. It's interesting though that Wednesday have looked best this season with the middle two of Luongo and Byers. He is the sort of player who gets the plaudits because of his footwork and ability to pick a pass, but far too often he goes for the worldy. His dead ball delivery should be better and I've seen the argument that he's the best at the club, but how many free kicks has he scored from over the years?  I'm not suggesting he's poor, he's quality for this league and still a decent championship midfielder, but he's not the most effective and I think there's an argument that if we were in the Championship now and we're playing a 2 man midfield, our most successful 2 would be Byers and Luongo. 

20 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

I'm a big Bannan fan and his commitment and work rate, along with his injury record is superb. It's interesting though that Wednesday have looked best this season with the middle two of Luongo and Byers. He is the sort of player who gets the plaudits because of his footwork and ability to pick a pass, but far too often he goes for the worldy. His dead ball delivery should be better and I've seen the argument that he's the best at the club, but how many free kicks has he scored from over the years?  I'm not suggesting he's poor, he's quality for this league and still a decent championship midfielder, but he's not the most effective and I think there's an argument that if we were in the Championship now and we're playing a 2 man midfield, our most successful 2 would be Byers and Luongo. 

You lost me at 2 man midfield 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, debram said:

And by far the best paid.

Why are some people obsessed with bringing up how much he is paid?

A player is either good bad or indifferent irrespective of what he is paid.

I can only assume it’s mentioned to say ‘he should be bloody good if he’s paid that much’. Well guess what, he is that good so everyone should be happy.

• Thanks 1