Barry Bannan

A few comments from the Doncaster Rovers fans on Bannan yesterday.

Given that for some bizarre reason he splits opinion on here, just thought I’d share as I think it’s interesting to see how other fans see our players.

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=284167.0

Here’s a selection:

Just too good. Can’t get near him. Stand off he makes you look silly, try and engage him, he makes you look silly.’

‘Way way above league one level ‘.

’I've never seen anyone bust a gut to get on the end of a cross like Bannan did for his goal in all the games I've been  to since the Stadium opened’.

‘He’s too good to be in League 1 and it shows’.

‘I was going to start a thread entitled Barry Bannon, just like this one.

Just WTF is he doing playing in this division? He is a million country miles better than anyone I've seen in this division ever’.

‘He may be some player but what a knob. 
I hope he pays to replace the advertising hording that he kicked a hole through when celebrating their second goal’.

‘Matt Smith kept him relatively quiet first half. But even then some of his play was outstanding. Top player’.

‘Should have attempted to man mark him today. He is absolutely class’.

‘Good player at L1, but someone should be booting him and show him he’s not taking the ******** on our patch’.

‘Outstanding footballer. But, and I’m not joking here, I thought Bostock didn’t look far from that level when we played at their place earlier in the season. What Bostock lacks by comparison is that extra gear that Bannan can and does pull out - his intensity is up there with his ability and it’s hard not to admire that’.

Edited by TrickyTrev
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, malek said:

Thread like this always remind me how hugely important it is to keep an eye on finding long term replacement for Bannan, ideally while he is still performing at high level. 

Some long-term transfer strategy?

Pfft... we'll wait until he's retired at the age of 43, and then get a loanee on deadline day, that'll get injured with his first touch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

For too long we played him as a deep lying midfielder where we didn't get the best out of him.

Now playing as an attacking midfielder where his vision and execution hurt the opponents. Smashing player in this position.

We started him higher up the pitch a lot in last couple of seasons. 

It is that he couldn't get on the ball in more advanced role, so he often dropped back. At this level and with Byers and Luongo behind him he doesn't have to and it shows both in performances and results. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, malek said:

We started him higher up the pitch a lot in last couple of seasons. 

It is that he couldn't get on the ball in more advanced role, so he often dropped back. At this level and with Byers and Luongo behind him he doesn't have to and it shows both in performances and result

I can't remember him playing as far forward as he is now, also the system with 3 in centre midfield midfield s ideal for him.

The midfield regularly got overrun when we played Bannan and A N other in central midfield.

• Like 1