January Signings. Top of the list we need ...

We should be going into this window looking to add cover for an injured player, adding some quality that's become available or giving ourselves an option or two that enables us to tweak our style of play.

Instead, the real danger is we go into this not even knowing how we want to play. How can you possibly recruit with confidence under those circumstances. Let's say the manager accepts he got it wrong in the closed season with his intended setup, now he wants to change tack. What's to stop him getting it wrong again?

I think we managed to recruit decent players in the summer but we did not recruit a balanced squad given what's transpired.

Some players need off loading, defensive cover at LB and CB needs adding, they should be upgrades if at all possible. A DM to give us an option there given that Luongo is on a bad run of injury. Wide midfielders that offer more defensively to try and get that balance right. I don't see us adding any centre forwards.

If we persist with 4-3-3 it'll continue to disappoint because we can't defend high enough up the field to make it work and prevent forwards being isolated and the massive voids in midfield. I hate quoting formations because at the top level its an outdated concept, teams are generally more fluid than that with the ball, without the ball, in transition. However.......for us, 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1 is where it's at.....keep it simple. 

• Like 1

If as Moore says we are looking at targets I hope we have sent scout to check out, Tshimanga at Chessy seems to be scoring goals for fun at the moment.

24 yrs old 6ft centre forward, scored 73 goals in his last 4 seasons over 134 games better than 1 every 2 games. 

It is when no if this lad gets picked up by a league side. He has 11 in 13 games this season

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If as Moore says we are looking at targets I hope we have sent scout to check out, Tshimanga at Chessy seems to be scoring goals for fun at the moment.

24 yrs old 6ft centre forward, scored 73 goals in his last 4 seasons over 134 games better than 1 every 2 games. 

It is when no if this lad gets picked up by a league side. He has 11 in 13 games this season

They're not going to let us have him for free, I assume.

As far as we know, we're still unable to pay a fee for a player.

9 hours ago, vulva said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we should have gone for a bit more quality in the summer, over quantity. And then used January to top up. 

Absolutely this.

We’ve wasted a fortune on the wages of 14 players, yet 1/3 thru the season most don’t feature and only Gregory, Hunt and Adeniran are hits. 

To answer the OP I would say a left-footed quality LB, a left-footed quality  CB, and a quality keeper transforms us.

But based on this Summer’s scattergun approach I’m not at all optimistic there’ll be any logical plan.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

He's an impact sub.

Berahino or Kamberi, possibly Corbeanu could lead the line in a 4231.

However, if we stay with Gregory, we're ducked. He may have tapped a couple in and one good goal, but he hurts the team in so many ways with his lack of movement and pace, not to mention being incapable of playing without Pato within 5 yards of him, requiring the formation change to 532.

If you think Gregory lacks movement you possibly ought to try watching the games now and again

• Like 1

11 hours ago, room0035 said:

I mentioned him for last two transfer windows scored at both Chesterfield and Boreham Wood for fun started out at mk dons

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Absolutely this.

We’ve wasted a fortune on the wages of 14 players, yet 1/3 thru the season most don’t feature and only Gregory, Hunt and Adeniran are hits. 

To answer the OP I would say a left-footed quality LB, a left-footed quality  CB, and a quality keeper transforms us.

But based on this Summer’s scattergun approach I’m not at all optimistic there’ll be any logical plan.

I agree with this and previous analogy of 1 nice rental car for 600 vs 6 bangers for 100 each. I’m not sure how our current limitations effected that in terms of not being able to pay a fee or exceed a certain salary value. 

This encouraged us to take punts (IMO) on quite a few. I’d be looking to end some of these loans if possible. For example Sow & Kamberi offer little at moment and once Windass returns offer even less. Wing and Byers seemed great additions but I’m not sure we are set up to take advantage of those two either.

Those salaries could be used on a LB and. DCM which appear to be our biggest deficiencies at present. Although Byers and Luongo returning may change the CM picture. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Absolutely this.

It didn't necessarily appear scattergun at the time, though.

It seemed as if we were recruiting for a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1, with wingers as a vital component of our plan.

Having depth in these key areas made sense.

And then a handful of games into the season, we ditched that plan and started playing three at the back and two up top!

:duntmatter:

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Ian said:

If you think Gregory lacks movement you possibly ought to try watching the games now and again

I've seen them all 2-3 times now.

His movement is non existent.  He predominantly stays in a channel in the centre, a few yards inside their CBs. If the ball comes within 10 yards or so he'll make a half arsed attempt at a tackle but never makes it.

The issue is that he's so slow. They don't even bother marking him properly, just leave a bloke nearish. Any pass to him over 10 yards, it looks like they're marking tightly because they catch up to him that easily. He loses nearly every challenge because they beat him to the ball every time. Doesn't win headers, backs in then falls over.

He misses so many crosses, diagonal balls, through balls. He should have had 10 this season or more but he's always just short of the ball.

He's had 3 games with no shots as our main striker. A few more with 2 or less.

That's on him. Not the service, he's had the service. He just can't get to it if it's more than a yard away or beat defenders.

He started the season OKish, but it's just got worse.