Darren Moore - I don't care!

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We weren't fortunate that Bolton didn't score today?

He didn't say he changed it because of Dunkley though did he - he said his tactical masterclass that he worked on for 2 days won the game for us (ignoring the fact that we were useless with those tactics for 45 minutes and then they were ditched). 

That’s football isn’t it ?!   You take your chances you win games , Bolton didn’t and they got beat ! 

After we scored I don’t think they looked like getting back into it, we closed the game out very well with some decent defending and very strong goalkeeping 

9 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Both built squads that got out of this league with frees and loans. Both had a huge turnover of players too. It can be done, and is usually how it’s done at this level. The cost of your signings is not a valid argument in League One for me. 

I don’t disagree but the point wasn’t can you get out of this league on a budget,  it was about how good this season’s squad is or isn’t? What do you think about the quality of this seasons squad? 

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I honestly don’t know how good our squad is or isn’t but I do know that if people (not necessarily you hirsty) overhype them we can only be disappointed because the team won’t match unrealistic expectations. 
We didn’t have a pot to ******** in last season, we couldn’t afford to pay wages. We’ve lost £7.5m revenue and inherited a loan repayment fee so I’m assuming it’s not Spendageddon II. 
I don’t think Moore is getting the best out of what he has, based on a lack of shape, cohesion & patterns of play. I expected more from Wing & Shodipo after their performances last season

However, given we were relegated without any fight, Im ok with being 5 points off the top of the league with a game in hand after only 11 games. 

In terms of our position off top right now, I agree, it is decent. We were top after 4 games though and although I didn't expect us to stay there, I also hoped that our performances would improve as the new team started to gel, that clearly is not happening. 

Rotherham are above us, they have no money and we have a player in our squad who they would have kept in their 11 without a doubt. 

Wycombe are above us, Adeniran was a regular for them as they improved towards the end of last season. 

Shodipo was a big factor in Oxford finishing top 6 at this level last season. 

Bannan would get into most teams at this level, Hunt and Palmer still had Championship offers, Iorfa is not an average League One defender, Dunkley was successful at this level not long ago, Gregory is past his best but is a very experienced striker who can be effective. 

Corbeanu is very highly thought of by Wolves. 

i am not overhyping us, I don't expect us to win automatic promotion by any means. I think anything lower than 10th would be disappointing though and top 6 should be a realistic aim.

I do think we are underperforming, we haven't played well with the ball since that first 4 matches. Wigan was good for half an hour, not much more than that. 

7 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

Or get your wing backs up the pitch.

First half we were playing with 7 defensive players at times - Bannan and Hutch just in front of what was effectively a back 5.

Absolutely dire until he went to 4-4-2

Yeah but 4-4-2 without anyone out on the right, all three of the front players were put out there at times but kept coming in central.

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I don’t disagree but the point wasn’t can you get out of this league on a budget,  it was about how good this season’s squad is or isn’t? What do you think about the quality of this seasons squad? 

It’s good enough to pick 13-14 regulars, find a system that suits, go at teams with a set formation and for fans to expect results. 

Wing, Shodipo, Adeniran, Hutchinson, Hunt, Kamberi, Paterson I could go on. All players that have shown they can perform at this level, or above, to more than the required standard to get us out of this league. Can you honestly say our system gets the best out of any of those players? Can you honestly say any of them have had a settled run in the team in one single position? 

Shodipo as an example. Played 39 games across the front 3 for Oxford last season, scored 12. Moore brought him on to play left wing back today..

12 minutes ago, markg said:

Hopefully they’ll get a bit of confidence in getting back to clean sheets and the performances might come.

maybe I’m being overly optimistic though 

When were the back-to-back clean sheets?

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In terms of our position off top right now, I agree, it is decent. We were top after 4 games though and although I didn't expect us to stay there, I also hoped that our performances would improve as the new team started to gel, that clearly is not happening. 

Rotherham are above us, they have no money and we have a player in our squad who they would have kept in their 11 without a doubt. 

Wycombe are above us, Adeniran was a regular for them as they improved towards the end of last season. 

Shodipo was a big factor in Oxford finishing top 6 at this level last season. 

Bannan would get into most teams at this level, Hunt and Palmer still had Championship offers, Iorfa is not an average League One defender, Dunkley was successful at this level not long ago, Gregory is past his best but is a very experienced striker who can be effective. 

Corbeanu is very highly thought of by Wolves. 

i am not overhyping us, I don't expect us to win automatic promotion by any means. I think anything lower than 10th would be disappointing though and top 6 should be a realistic aim.

I do think we are underperforming, we haven't played well with the ball since that first 4 matches. Wigan was good for half an hour, not much more than that. 

Then we are in almost total agreement 

1 hour ago, Owlstastic said:

He's off his T*ts. I don't want a manager at Hillsborough who says he's not bothered about how the team plays. That is unforgivable.

Neither do I it’s unforgivable saying that 

who is paying his wages ?? 

he is so lucky fans turn up to watch that dribble ! 
Not bothered how we play !! What the fruit machine ! 

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

Defied belief ?   Do you watch much football ??  It’s not exactly a rare occurrence for teams to dominate and not score is it ?? 

Possession doesn’t win games,  goals do , remind me how many Bolton scored ? When I was walking out of Hillsborough tonight buzzing with the win I couldn’t help thinking by the atmosphere and look of people around me that I’d missed Bolton bag 5 !? 

Still don’t realise you’re the odd man out then. It was dire and we were lucky. 

1 minute ago, CourteenerOwl said:

If we can just stay within the pack then I think Windass will make a huge difference for us. 

A fully fit Windass and Luongo would be regular starters at this level.

Sooner both are back in the fold, better we will be.  

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Seems like a manager who’s under pressure and when you are, it does strange things to people.

I like the guy, I’ve been behind him and I want him to succeed, but I will be gobsmacked if he gets us promoted and he’s a success here. 

Unfortunately I think you're right. Genuinely thought he was going to be a Wednesday legend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

It’s good enough to pick 13-14 regulars, find a system that suits, go at teams with a set formation and for fans to expect results. 

Wing, Shodipo, Adeniran, Hutchinson, Hunt, Kamberi, Paterson I could go on. All players that have shown they can perform at this level, or above, to more than the required standard to get us out of this league. Can you honestly say our system gets the best out of any of those players? Can you honestly say any of them have had a settled run in the team in one single position? 

Shodipo as an example. Played 39 games across the front 3 for Oxford last season, scored 12. Moore brought him on to play left wing back today..

Wing and Shodipo have disappointed based on their performances last season. Adeniran, jury’s out. Hunt is in decline hence his release from Brizzle. He’s been inconsistent at best for us. I would say he isn’t in the top 5 right back in the division. He isn’t even our best right back.Hutch, been good in the past, time to move on.  Kamberi has shown moments, where does Patterson even play? If we assume he’s a forward, I would rather have Stockton, Bonne, Smith, Afolayan, Keane, Wyke, Sarcevic, Stockley & Marquis than either of them. 
PLEASE DON’T GET ME WRONG. I don’t think Moore is doing a good job. I don’t think the managers formations, selections, systems are getting the best out of what he has but I don’t think he has anything special to work with. 

• Like 1

As a fan I would say I'm also happy to keep a clean sheet and win 1-0. But there are caveats to that statement.......

I want us to look organised.

I want us to look solid at the back and restrict opposition chances.

I want us to keep the ball much better than we do.

I want us to have a clear tactical approach to games.

Moore's statement worries me. We didn't "get the ball out wide" for the goal. My recollection of it was it came off a Bolton players head after a high ball through the middle? That's how it ended up with Hunt, yes it was a quality ball into the box and a good finish but it absolutely wasn't a goal we created in open play.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

He's got a win - a much needed one.

Still far from convinced by him. Doesn't seem to know his best team, formation, tactics etc., and that's worrying given we are now 11 games in.

Let's hope today's win sparks something. I'm not holding my breath though.

He contradicted himself in the interview.

He said they only had 2 days to work in the system of a back three, yet told Rob Staton that at the start of the season he told Rob that he would play a back three or back four to suit the opposition and circumstances. So if that is the case, surely they have worked on a back three before this Thursday. Therefore, he’s either fibbing or incompetent.

I hate listening to him, not because he isn’t a natural speaker, but because he says nothing of footballing substance. He ought to realise that his interviews are the main way he regularly communicates to fans, and he’s not instilling any confidence in him with these interviews - in fact it adds to the belief that he hasn’t got much of a clue what he’s doing.

• Like 1