Is Pep Guardiola right here?

7 hours ago, Owl ball 1980 said:

Pep is wrong. I would like to see him manage a league 1 team see how he would get on without plenty of cash to spend. City had a massive loss in profit worse that us, Derby and Reading combined and there still sitting pretty in the Premier league. It's all money in football now, wish it would go back to late 80s early 90s, that's when real football was played.

This ^ he may be a good coach, he’s managed Barca; Bayern and Man City and spent hundreds of millions of pounds in the process.  Really tough gigs. At least managers like Solksjaer has managed at Molde and Cardiff and klopp at Mainz so they have a better understanding of life outside the top 2 league positions.  For Pep to make these comments is a bit of a joke really 

• Like 2

No, he's completely wrong. 

The manager who literally has it all complaining that him and his club can't reduce the lower leagues to a sham competition. Pretty sure one of the key figures at City (Sporting Director) has said similar in the past. 

At the end of the day, they hoover up pretty much all the young talent in the area and beyond. More often than not these kids don't make the grade, because City buy world class players season after season. It would be much easier to spend 100 million on Jack Grealish than to try some lad from the Under 23s. Since the money came in, the only kid who has properly broken through is Phil Foden. The likes of Micah Richards broke in before and Joe Hart was a purchase from Shrewsbury. City often lose their best young talent to other clubs because there is little prospect of them breaking through - Sancho, anyone? 

So no, bugger off Pep. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

He should go and manage in one of those countries then.

That's not how we do things here.

He started his career both as a player and manager by coming through Barcelona reserve teams within the Spanish leagues. To him that’s how things work in his elite little bubble.

It’s not even the first time he has suggested it either. Found the below article from a couple of years ago.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/26/pep-guardiola-reserve-teams-championship-spain

Football structure is already weighed too much in favour of the top 4 or 5 wealthiest clubs.

They have already over recent times devalued the FA Cup and took the game too far away from the average person on the street.

Modern elite football is already far too soulless for my liking now, this would kill it off to me.

A big fat NO!! for me

• Like 1

Self interest in improving the elite clubs, benefits no one except the big clubs.

Even having U23's in the Pizza cup is bad enough, kills the integrity within the competition.

I like Pep but it's a no from me. I can't imagine any fan of an EFL club thinking this is a good idea?!

• Like 2

Just now, SwellOwl said:

Self interest in improving the elite clubs, benefits no one except the big clubs.

Even having U23's in the Pizza cup is bad enough, kills the integrity within the competition.

I like Pep but it's a no from me. I can't imagine any fan of an EFL club thinking this is a good idea?!

Think anybody who thinks its is a good idea doesn't understand English football culture at all.

• Like 2

He’s from a country where this happens so it’s understandable from his perspective of why that benefits clubs like Barcelona & Real Madrid.

But in England we have one of the greatest pyramids of football world wide and it would diabolical to play Manchester City U23’s in L1/L2. That said I think if this was ever proposed then I’m absolutely certain EFL clubs would be in uproar and it just wouldn’t happen. 

I do however think there needs to be change to the loan system. The emergency window was fantastic for lower league clubs and allowed you to take a chance on an unknown player when injuries hit. I’d also get rid of the incentivised loan deals that fine you for not playing a PL player that’s on loan, deals like that are an absolute crime against football. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think anybody who thinks its is a good idea doesn't understand English football culture at all.

Agree - I understand that in Spain and Italy, you have Barca and Juve B teams. However, there pyramid system is nowhere near as strong as the one in the English game. We need to protect the clubs now, more than ever, ideas like this from Pep doesn't help the cause.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SwellOwl said:

Agree - I understand that in Spain and Italy, you have Barca and Juve B teams. However, there pyramid system is nowhere near as strong as the one in the English game. We need to protect the clubs now, more than ever, ideas like this from Pep doesn't help the cause.

They never had a reserve league in those leagues either so it kind of made sense for their bigger teams to have their reserves playing in the lower leagues.

I do think we should bring back the reserve league here mind, much better setup than the U23's