Is Pep Guardiola right here?

33 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

They never had a reserve league in those leagues either so it kind of made sense for their bigger teams to have their reserves playing in the lower leagues.

I do think we should bring back the reserve league here mind, much better setup than the U23's

This!

Get a reserve league rolled back out. Proper football proper prices and much better for learning to play the mens game for Under 23 players.

Cant see any negatives too it.

• Like 2

Stop hoovering up all the youth, stop keeping hold of youth until they are 20/21/22 making only a handful of senior games.

Get them loaned out, sold, released to fulfil their potential. 

Look at that Patrick Roberts for example... 24 year old now. Fair enough he has had his fair share of loans, but if he's not broken into their 1st team as of yet, he's hardly going to.

Just get him sold and let him get settled at a club to develop. 

• Like 1

Trouble with "Pep" is...he doesn't understand English football fans...beginning with his own...So he hasn't a cat in hells chance of understanding the rest of it...an average Wednesday fan, would walk straight past man city playing Barcelona in hillsborough park..for free...to pay and watch Wednesday playing Shrewsbury...simply the way it is...Its tribal.

I wouldn't go to watch Man City u23's play Wednesday...cos its a p 8ss take....

Does he think the rest of us are here to help his bloody club out...

In the 60's and 70's at Hillsborough..If it was a European night and Man Utd or Liverpool...Not Citeh...cos they were never in it..were winning...a cheer might go up...These days?...I'd sooner cheer bloody Liepzig...

When he's proved his worth by taking such as bolton to win the champs league..on a bloody shoe string..or Us..or a myriad of others...I'll listen...He's had more money than Midas and can't get City there...

people like him...... and Chansiri don't understand English football nor its fans..I should imagine theres a shedload of City fans squirming with bloody shame at it as well

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Pep and the special one classed are the top managers in the game, also the two highest spending on players in football history.

I would love to see how good a manager Pep or Mourinho were having to assemble a team of free agents, or blood youth players because the club had no cash. But of course this will never happen

For me Moyes is a better manager than Pep and given the choice I would pick him over Pep. Anyone can be a great manager spending £100m a season on players.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/pep-guardiola-is-one-of-only-4-managers-to-ever-spend-more-than-£1-billion-on-transfers/ar-AAMtpjO

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Pep and the special one classed are the top managers in the game, also the two highest spending on players in football history.

I would love to see how good a manager Pep or Mourinho were having to assemble a team of free agents, or blood youth players because the club had no cash. But of course this will never happen

For me Moyes is a better manager than Pep and given the choice I would pick him over Pep. Anyone can be a great manager spending £100m a season on players.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/pep-guardiola-is-one-of-only-4-managers-to-ever-spend-more-than-£1-billion-on-transfers/ar-AAMtpjO

The best managers are hired by the best/richest clubs to spend that money though 

• Like 1

He's not right, as others have said this only benefits City if they wanted players to get game time stop stockpiling players along with the rest of the Big 6

Unfortunately despite what they said money is all that matters and things like the ESL will be back again, for the rest of English football the drawbridge is nearly up they don't need us. Even the PL the big 6 only need the other 14 to give them a league to play in. It doesn't matter who these 14 are as they inter-changeable.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Fulham spent over £100m and ended up going down. Not sure who was the manager, but it didn't help them. 

• Like 1

It’s funny in football how times change.

Remember when Man City were in “league 1”.  Remember when Brighton were in “league 2” playing at a running track.  Remember when clubs like Burnley, Watford, Fulham, Bournemouth were a few leagues below us. 
I guess that’s the beauty of the English game, but my god it’s been a cr*p 21 years and counting for Wednesday.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fatzooma said:

I seriously wish the top 6, 8 , 10 or whatever would just do one...the game is a shadow of its former self. Clubs were the clubs of the community and represented the people...

This was bound to happen as soon as we let investors into the game with zero football interest or empathy. Problem is they spend money, can’t have your cake and eat it 

Edited by FreshOwl

Everyone is moaning.

The money going into football has increased astronomically in recent years. The standard of playing, along with refereeing and pitches, has gone up with it. Unfortunately for us the gap between the top and the also-rans has increased, and more of the money has gone to the teams in places with big corporate sponsors and hospitality revenue. And as it has always been, the most successful teams are most often the ones with the money.

The English pyramid is an outlier. Dortmund B are in the German second league, and Madrid B are in the Spanish third league. I hope that English reserve clubs never get into the pyramid, but if the wealthiest few continue to pull away it might happen someday.

I find it quite laughable when people say things like "let him manage a team in league 2 with no money and see how good he is then"

he doesn't need to or have to - he's earned his spurs by managing top teams to the biggest prizes

Which is what those who are cutting their teeth in lower league football are aiming to do

He is undoubtedly a great manager and built one of the best teams i've ever seen - he consistently achieves at the sharp end of the game

He's got nothing to prove

Like every manager and club owner he's looking out for his own club - yes in this case it goes against the grain and ethos of what our football culture is

I've seen plenty of people advocate rangers and celtic being parachuted into our PL - people who aren't fans of those cubs advocating it

That's even worse

It's modern corporate football so laugh it off for the folly it is

7 minutes ago, scram said:

I find it quite laughable when people say things like "let him manage a team in league 2 with no money and see how good he is then"

he doesn't need to or have to - he's earned his spurs by managing top teams to the biggest prizes

Which is what those who are cutting their teeth in lower league football are aiming to do

He is undoubtedly a great manager and built one of the best teams i've ever seen - he consistently achieves at the sharp end of the game

He's got nothing to prove

Like every manager and club owner he's looking out for his own club - yes in this case it goes against the grain and ethos of what our football culture is

I've seen plenty of people advocate rangers and celtic being parachuted into our PL - people who aren't fans of those cubs advocating it

That's even worse

It's modern corporate football so laugh it off for the folly it is

The whole he should manage a poo team is moronic and its the same as saying Messi should prove himself at a lesser team.

Pep is hardly going to turn down top jobs is he?

I quite liked Pep until recently. Now he's coming across as an arrogant self-entitled two-hat, who simply has no idea about the grass roots, or pyramid tiers, of English football.

In fairness, he's hardly likely to either, being Spanish - like the majority of English club supporting fans don't understand the grass roots of Spanish football, assuming there is one. However, his management and media team - because he'll have such advisors I've no doubt - should have shut his gob at source.

He p!ssed off his own fans last week. Now he's gone full hog and p!ssed off the rest of us. Well done Pep. You're CV might look impressive, but you've a sh!t load to learn about life pal.

• Thanks 1

I don't think what he said about wanting more fans for the upcoming game was wrong

This is peak Man City - they will never have it better than they have it right now

The manager giving them these halcyon days can surely ask for that?

He's far from the first to say such a thing