Something is missing

Nothing is missing.

We are at the start of a journey. The start has gone better than could have reasonably been expected but this is literally the earliest of early days! I’m just going to enjoy the journey with all the peaks and troughs. 

I don’t have any problem with anyone else looking for negatives and problems that don’t exist. Fill your boots. But after the Derby game I was dreading this season. I had started to believe the doomsday scenario that it was all over and the club was going to cease to exist. But now we are rebuilding. And I’m going to enjoy it. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, debram said:

Individualism at times, not clicking as a unit, we may have some good players but they have to work together, be disciplined and have a system to stick by, it's no where near yet. 

And you only get that from time together on the training ground.

It'll come.

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Dunno what, but it was definitely missing last night.  Lots of good things happening all over the pitch last night but nah something just wasn't quite there. 

Any ideas?

We need to find it.  

Players have been together several weeks and have hardly got to know each other yet both on and off the pitch. That's what. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Players have been together several weeks and have hardly got to know each other yet both on and off the pitch. That's what. 

Exactly this. One of the new players who has been here the longest is Adeniran. One of the new players who is playing the best is Adeniran. 
Coincidence? Almost certainly not! 

1 hour ago, gillyno9 said:

It’s clear that DM doesn’t know his best side yet. We have probably signed to many players. Unfortunately Johnson just isn’t up to it. He may prove useful at left back as cover. As an attacker he is a waste of a shirt. Dunkley absolutely frightening at centre back. IMO these are the the only concrete things we have learned. Everything else is still finding it’s way

You’ve learnt that in three games where Johnstone hasn’t even played 2 full games and dunkley has played about 20 minutes 

Christ on a bike 

• Like 1

Several players arrived in the last 14 days. 
Several players without a full pre season training.

A couple recovering from long term injury.

A couple of wide players not available.

Relax, there’s enough quality in this squad to grind out results when only playing well in patches.

The first 30 minutes last night was a sign of what’s to come.

I honestly believe it will take another half dozen games before we see a settled team and performance level.

• Like 1

What it's missing is a natural born leader on the pitch.

Two people stand out as being that person - Dunkley or Iorfa, but they have been bit part so far in their career here and Bannan is the main man.

Bannan leads by example - he shows by how he does, not how he talks, he does not lead by being a big voice.

I'm sorry but we need someone to take this squad by the scruff of the neck.

Bannan is a great player, but I think even he needs a true captain in the side.

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Dunno what, but it was definitely missing last night.  Lots of good things happening all over the pitch last night but nah something just wasn't quite there. 

Any ideas?

We need to find it.  

Atmosphere 

1 minute ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

Atmosphere 

Sorry, that's just not right.

It's give and take between the crowd and what is on display on the pitch.

What was on display on the pitch was lackluster for almost all the game, apart from patches and the first 20 minutes.

Wednesday were second best to almost everything, against a side we've never played before - for a reason!

Those opening 20 minutes should have set the scene for the whole game, yet they didn't.   Quality did not count and we were lucky to see the game out

First 20 minutes we played as DM set the team up to play. Hutch getting injured and the general fitness and match sharpness all contributed to the "missing link" look. 

Fact is this is wonderful to only be concerned about a small issue considering the complete change in players in such a short time. 

When everyone is fit and the best players rise to the top and are getting regular game time the future this season is looking incredibly bright. 

Its far to early to be suggesting who is not good enough. After 3 games in the league the things that I think are obvious is our defence is going to be a 4 and if we keep key players like Iorfa fit we not going to give many goals away. We have a squad of younger more athletic players than we have had in a long time. We have sufficient quality players for cover in most positions and for most tactical changes. 

This is wednesday we talking about so nothing is ever straight forward. 

Such a much better start than I ever imagined. I thought before the season kicked off that Nov / Dec would be when we might seeing some decent results. Because the team is naturally quite balanced with all of DMs additions we got results much sooner than newly put together squads normally produce.

The answer to the post is definitely time. We have better players to come in to the team.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Any ideas?

We need to find it.  

It was a single blade of grass near the corner flag

• Haha 1