Something is missing

11 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

Midfield 

The balance is not right , Byers improved it both Saturday and last night but strangely he was took off which is worrying when wing was all over the shop

Agreed. I don't rate Wing in these first three games. I would much prefer a midfield 3 of Byers, Bannan and Adeniran. 

Some posters just look to either start negative things or encourage em you can see classic example in this post. Im not comparing us to Man City but the first 20/25 minutes against Tottenham they could have been 2 or 3 up and ended up losing so it happens when there are changes to teams and always will. The thing missing was probably some of the posters in this thread, who like has been said before can't wait for us to lose. Great start for a team getting to know each other and with a fair wind should only get better. Onward and upward.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Billque said:

After a brilliant start where we should have been three up, i then feel we became a little disjointed for two reasons. Firstly, we were kinda dragged down to their levels by being over confident, so starting messing about a little  and secondly, the referee was constantly stopping the game for petty fouls, petty fouls that resulted in 9 bookings !! 9  bookings and i can,t really remember bad foul in the match                                       I think you will see this team rise to the occasion on the BIG match days though  The only player that needs a kick up the rear end for me is Johnstone, who to be fair looks like he is nowhere near match fit yep,

I think the influence of the referee was a big factor v Fleetwood. As Billque said, kept breaking up the rhythm of play. Every free kick gave Fleetwood time to regain their shape and reset. Unfortunately we may have to get used to this as the standard of officiating in Lg1 is poor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Agreed. I don't rate Wing in these first three games. I would much prefer a midfield 3 of Byers, Bannan and Adeniran. 

Odd because in the Huddersfield match he looked excellent. 

Our left side isn’t working from an attacking point of view at the moment.

Palmer isn’t an attacking fullback when he’s on the right, and he struggles even more going forward on the left. Brown is a left back and you can tell when he plays on the wing. Johnson is either not quite up to speed yet, or is the kind of winger who works best with a dangerous fullback overlapping, buying him space to put a ball in - he doesn’t have that.

Moore might want that side to be more conservative while our players bed in so it might be by design but we’re essentially playing a defensive fullback and either a defensive winger (Johnson) or an attacking fullback (Brown) in front. It hardly screams danger. 

I’m sure once Johnson clicks, we start playing a more attacking fullback down the left, or Sow, Corbeanu or Shodipo are fit (or any combination of those things) we’ll give defences more to worry about and it’ll feel like the handbrake’s off. 

Edited by Random Task
  • Like 1

Wing has been outstanding every game he's played this season. The amount of times he makes runs past the striker is unbelievable. He's given a free role at times and is told to push up to support the striker. This does often leave gaps in behind him but I'm sure it's by design. Bannan and Byers can't run anything like he can so that's why it can seem like he's getting caught out, but in a 3 you can afford to give him that free role, especially with 2 brilliant midfielders like Byers and Bannan to cover the centre space. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Nothing is missing.

We are at the start of a journey. The start has gone better than could have reasonably been expected but this is literally the earliest of early days! I’m just going to enjoy the journey with all the peaks and troughs.  

BANG ON

Owlstalk Shop

13 hours ago, markg said:

I'd still say it's early days to jump to the two conclusions there. Johnson might turn out to be a very good signing at left wing. He's not had much opportunity yet. Same with Dunkley. His first minutes of the season. I think that Dunkley will be fine in this league when he come in to the side. 

We have to wait. However DM has almost certainly acquired too many players who have signed on the basis that they will play in the first team.

I think our three potentially most exciting players, shopidoo Corneboo and windlass are still to feature. Add them to a very solid side and I think that’s when it will really start to click. I was expecting the first dozen games to be hard work, so more than happy with three clean sheets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Random Task said:

Palmer isn’t an attacking fullback when he’s on the right, and he struggles even more going forward on the left. Brown is a left back and you can tell when he plays on the wing. Johnson is either not quite up to speed yet, or is the kind of winger who works best with a dangerous fullback overlapping, buying him space to put a ball in - he doesn’t have that.

Moore might want that side to be more conservative while our players bed in so it might be by design but we’re essentially playing a defensive fullback and either a defensive winger (Johnson) or an attacking fullback (Brown) in front. It hardly screams danger. 

I’m sure once Johnson clicks, we start playing a more attacking fullback down the left, or Sow, Corbeanu or Shodipo are fit (or any combination of those things) we’ll give defences more to worry about and it’ll feel like the handbrake’s off. 

^^^^^^

This.

15 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Dunno what, but it was definitely missing last night.  Lots of good things happening all over the pitch last night but nah something just wasn't quite there. 

Any ideas?

We need to find it.  

My marbles...  

• Haha 1

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, Random Task said:

Our first goal Saturday started down the left before coming back to Bannan.

The second was a cross from the left. 
2 of our 3 goals from the left. 
On Tuesday, Palmer got forward numerous times first half. Second half he had to deal their most dangerous attacking player who came on at half time.