Something is missing

15 hours ago, Billque said:

After a brilliant start where we should have been three up, i then feel we became a little disjointed for two reasons. Firstly, we were kinda dragged down to their levels by being over confident, so starting messing about a little  and secondly, the referee was constantly stopping the game for petty fouls, petty fouls that resulted in 9 bookings !! 9  bookings and i can,t really remember bad foul in the match                                       I think you will see this team rise to the occasion on the BIG match days though  The only player that needs a kick up the rear end for me is Johnstone, who to be fair looks like he is nowhere near match fit yep,

Agree with this. I thought fleetwood did a good job in slowing the game down after the first 15 min. 

11 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Our first goal Saturday started down the left before coming back to Bannan.

The second was a cross from the left. 
2 of our 3 goals from the left. 
On Tuesday, Palmer got forward numerous times first half. Second half he had to deal their most dangerous attacking player who came on at half time. 

Not a criticism of Palmer, he’s probably doing what he’s told to do. 

Palmer’s put in 4 crosses this season. One was accurate. Hunt has put in 10 (3 accurate). 

Our attacking play vs Charlton

image.png.8c558a2843f132a5781c8833f65e4208.png

Donny 

image.png.109681522f8201fcc97bf6d1b366dadc.png

and Fleetwood has been mostly down the right

image.png.3fcabbbdb7bcad6d761e3e2de142dc1a.png

Palmer’s average position has been as high up the pitch as Hunt’s but he isn’t providing the same output.

He’s doing a good job defensively, but I think that the Palmer / Johnson combo has made us a little one dimensional so far, but there’s plenty of time for that to change. Equally, I don’t think there’s much harm in trying something else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

EH?!??

Palmer's in the opponents box more often than our strikers this season

Palmer's touched the ball three times in the opposition's box so far this season; Gregory touched it eight times in the box against Fleetwood alone.

His heatmaps don't show him being a major influence in the opponents' penalty boxes, either...

1568972272_Screenshot2021-08-19at12_31_10.png.3d179d3f303c4a2695bc70e2bd527b3a.png

2073585731_Screenshot2021-08-19at12_31_25.png.87a4a3b5908922c6863071c7b1f0e8f1.png

2140865653_Screenshot2021-08-19at12_31_37.png.8819904a66356a92129395992b4523a5.png

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Liam Palmer isn't a problem
He's also part of a defence that has conceded ZERO goals

I’m not saying he’s a problem… I’m saying generally attacking down the left side is a problem. Being good defensively and not good offensively are not mutually exclusive. 

32 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Palmer's touched the ball three times in the opposition's box so far this season; Gregory touched it eight times in the box against Fleetwood alone. 

Ladies and gentlemen - we are unbeaten, we've conceded ZERO goals, we've got 7 points from the last 3 games, we've got a feel good factor back, we've got huge crowds, we're climbing the league

And some fans are trying to suggest there's a problem with left back Liam Palmer because he's not touched the ball in the opponents box as many times as our number 9 striker

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ladies and gentlemen - we are unbeaten, we've conceded ZERO goals, we've got 7 points from the last 3 games, we've got a feel good factor back, we've got huge crowds, we're climbing the league

And some fans are trying to suggest there's a problem with left back Liam Palmer because he's not touched the ball in the opponents box as many times as our number 9 striker

I shudder to think what it’s going to be like on here Saturday afternoon should we drop points against Rotherham?

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don’t think anyone on this thread is suggesting Palmer is a problem.

I’ve been a big critic of his in the past, however he’s doing well this season and defending well and I’d be happy with him continuing in the side.

What I do think a few posters are pointing out and backing it up with facts and statistics is that in an attacking sense we could be doing more down the left side of the pitch. 

There’s no harm in wanting improvement even when things are going well.

It’s a great start to the seasons and I think this squad will keep getting better and better. Moore and his staff will be analysing where we can do better and I think it’s fair that on a forum fans can discuss that without you getting at them because they have a difference of opinion to yours.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jonesy87shef said:

It’s a great start to the seasons and I think this squad will keep getting better and better. Moore and his staff will be analysing where we can do better and I think it’s fair that on a forum fans can discuss that without you getting at them because they have a difference of opinion to yours.

I'm not

Chillax

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, Random Task said:

Not a criticism of Palmer, he’s probably doing what he’s told to do. 

Palmer’s put in 4 crosses this season. One was accurate. Hunt has put in 10 (3 accurate). 

Our attacking play vs Charlton

image.png.8c558a2843f132a5781c8833f65e4208.png

Donny 

image.png.109681522f8201fcc97bf6d1b366dadc.png

and Fleetwood has been mostly down the right

image.png.3fcabbbdb7bcad6d761e3e2de142dc1a.png

Palmer’s average position has been as high up the pitch as Hunt’s but he isn’t providing the same output.

He’s doing a good job defensively, but I think that the Palmer / Johnson combo has made us a little one dimensional so far, but there’s plenty of time for that to change. Equally, I don’t think there’s much harm in trying something else.

Those stats are very misleading, Palmer was getting doubled up against Doncaster because Johnson was not tracking back. Against Fleetwood he had to deal with their best player in the second half. Both reasons he could not go forward, while  helping the team keep 3 clean sheets. 
The fact remains 2 of our 3 goals have come from the left.  
We are a massive work in progress so calling for changes to a defence that’s not conceded a goal is not warranted in my opinion. 

Guest Willow Owl
20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Football manager has a lot to answer for pal. 

WE aren't a 'team' yet. That indefinable quality where the whole is greater than it's parts.

It's impossible to get that quality in a short time but with luck it will come. The players get to know each others strengths and weaknesses, they cover for each other and can almost play the ball without looking up  because they know exactly where the others will be in any situation. The unit becomes a well oiled  machine, smooth, effective and unstoppable. Average players look good and good players become great. 

It might not happen, it takes time and a lot of good fortune to get all the right players together and have that certain something click. If it happens we will walk this league, if it doesn't we might still do ok.

Ever the optimist.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

The fact remains 2 of our 3 goals have come from the left.  

Imagine how many we’d score if we actually attacked down there!

Not sure why this has turned into a conversation about Palmer when it’s an attacking down the left side issue and clearly a modern fullback’s only responsibility is to defend. 

Guest Willow Owl
5 minutes ago, Random Task said:

Imagine how many we’d score if we actually attacked down there!

Not sure why this has turned into a conversation about Palmer when it’s an attacking down the left side issue and clearly a modern fullback’s only responsibility is to defend. 

Or maybe teams are loading their right side, as they think that’s where we are most dangerous or weakest. Thus making our right side more more attack minded. 2 goals from the Left none from the right sort of throws the stats out the window.
Not being picky but it was you said our left side wasn’t working and Palmer is part of that.