Something is missing

It’s clear that DM doesn’t know his best side yet. We have probably signed to many players. Unfortunately Johnson just isn’t up to it. He may prove useful at left back as cover. As an attacker he is a waste of a shirt. Dunkley absolutely frightening at centre back. IMO these are the the only concrete things we have learned. Everything else is still finding it’s way

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gillyno9 said:

It’s clear that DM doesn’t know his best side yet. We have probably signed to many players. Unfortunately Johnson just isn’t up to it. He may prove useful at left back as cover. As an attacker he is a waste of a shirt. Dunkley absolutely frightening at centre back. IMO these are the the only concrete things we have learned. Everything else is still finding it’s way

I'd still say it's early days to jump to the two conclusions there. Johnson might turn out to be a very good signing at left wing. He's not had much opportunity yet. Same with Dunkley. His first minutes of the season. I think that Dunkley will be fine in this league when he come in to the side. 

3 minutes ago, gillyno9 said:

Johnson played 42 times for a side that finished 8th in the league above last season. I wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, markg said:

I'd still say it's early days to jump to the two conclusions there. Johnson might turn out to be a very good signing at left wing. He's not had much opportunity yet. Same with Dunkley. His first minutes of the season. I think that Dunkley will be fine in this league when he come in to the side. 

Can only call it as I see it. 

I simply think its "Knowing" how your team mates play...That will come...flashes of what it might be like, but not the comprehensive finished article..All we needed last night was the second goal when we were well on top, players relax, play with more freedom, these odd quick flicks and one/twos come off....I'm well impressed at the minute...apart from the playing out from the back bit...choose your times to do it....but i'm nitpicking

56 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Dunno what, but it was definitely missing last night.  Lots of good things happening all over the pitch last night but nah something just wasn't quite there. 

Any ideas?

We need to find it.  

Perhaps some understanding of a squad thrown together in 15 days ....or on your part an understanding of football probably 

58 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Dunno what, but it was definitely missing last night.  Lots of good things happening all over the pitch last night but nah something just wasn't quite there. 

Any ideas?

We need to find it.  

Just time playing together, several times forwards came short just as the ball was played over/through. A few more games playing together will get them understanding each other better.

Several wont have played with players like Bannan so wont make the runs behind knowing he can find them. Wing also looked like he could find them first half, second half he looked like he couldnt find himself.

Match sharpness. Lots of the new lads we brought in are clearly not up to speed yet. Johnson has been terrible two games in a row and Gregory was struggling fitness-wise in the second half. Corbeanu and Sow are also not ready yet. When these guys are fully fit and firing, we will be so much better, and will have more options on the bench to replace tiring players (Adeniran and Wing look shattered).

Add in Windass and Shodipo and you have all the hallmarks of a successful team.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Any ideas?

We need to find it.  

The Kop Trumper ? 

The hand job bird on the Kop ? 

The sound of Werthers wrappers on the South ? 

• Haha 1

Time is what's missing. Most these players didn't get a pre season together so are getting up to fitness and working each other out. 46 game season means we have time to figure that out and have made a strong start on top. Promising that they should only get more harmonious and better 

12 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Perhaps some understanding of a squad thrown together in 15 days ....or on your part an understanding of football probably 

OK footballing expert.  

I was posing a question which many have hinted at, it's not slagging off of the players, club or manager, it's just that we are lacking something especially going forward, maybe it's the system we are using, or need to try other players, for me we had three good players in Byers, Wing and Johnstone on the pitch all played well but they didn't impose themselves on the game enough for me. 

It could be something as simple game time to get them all on the same wavelength.  Just posing a question to while away a Wednesday evening, so chill.