Something is missing

19 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Or maybe teams are loading their right side, as they think that’s where we are most dangerous or weakest. Thus making our right side more more attack minded. 2 goals from the Left none from the right sort of throws the stats out the window.
Not being picky but it was you said our left side wasn’t working and Palmer is part of that.  

You’re right, maybe teams are loading the right because that’s where we’re more dangerous… that’s exactly what I think is happening and unfortunately we haven’t been able to exploit the man advantage elsewhere as much as maybe we could. A bit more attacking balance on the left side might give us more chance of doing that.

Whether that’s a different fullback or different winger, the point is that we aren’t looking like as much of a threat down the left as we could and I think that once we sort that we’ll be able to take advantage dominance like we had early against Fleetwood.

I said Palmer wasn’t an attacking fullback and is on his wrong foot and that Johnson doesn’t seem to have clicked yet and might need a different kind of fullback to get more out of him. I’m not really sure how that’s particularly controversial to be honest.

It’s early days, the first 11 today won’t be the same as it is in May and I don’t think there’s any harm in having a critical eye while acknowledging that it’s a new team with loads of moving parts coming together. 

Edited by Random Task
  • Like 1

So to summarise

We're flying up the league

We've not conceded a single goal yet this season
We come out of the traps flying at teams straight from kick off

We're scoring goals

We've got 7 points out of a possible 9

We're unbeaten

And we're looking for reasons to change it and there's threads saying our keepers' punching is dodgy and Liam Palmer should be executed because he doesn't score overhead kicks from 50 yards out.

Proper baffling to me this.

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

So to summarise

We're flying up the league

We've not conceded a single goal yet this season
We come out of the traps flying at teams straight from kick off

We're scoring goals

We've got 7 points out of a possible 9

We're unbeaten

And we're looking for reasons to change it?

Proper baffling to me this.

I hope we win every game 1-0 between now and the rest of the season… and if we do I want to be on here talking about what we can do to score twice next week. 

You run a football forum, let people talk about football.

Guest Willow Owl
2 minutes ago, Random Task said:

You’re right, maybe teams are loading the right because that’s where we’re more dangerous… that’s exactly what I think is happening and unfortunately we haven’t been able to exploit the man advantage elsewhere as much as maybe we could. A bit more attacking balance on the left side might give us more chance of doing that.

Whether that’s a different fullback or different winger, the point is that we aren’t looking like as much of a threat down the left as we could and I think that once we sort that we’ll be able to take advantage dominance like we had early against Fleetwood.

I said Palmer wasn’t an attacking fullback and is on his wrong foot and that Johnson doesn’t seem to have clicked yet and might need a different kind of fullback to get more out of him. I’m not really sure how that’s particularly controversial to be honest.

It’s early days, the first 11 today won’t be the same as it is in May and I don’t think there’s any harm in having a critical eye while acknowledging that it’s a new team with loads of moving parts coming together. 

It may not have fully clicked, but that can be said of other areas of the team.

As I see it, we’ve got 7 from 9 not conceded a goal. 13 new players, many without a pre season, players returning from lengthy injuries. Once all fully fit and used to how each other play we will definitely be up there.

Thats why I don’t get why we are looking at specific areas after 3 games. 
If we hadn’t got a point and looked a shambles then possibly cast a more critical eye. But for me it’s all positive and long May it continue.

1 minute ago, Willow Owl said:

It may not have fully clicked, but that can be said of other areas of the team.

As I see it, we’ve got 7 from 9 not conceded a goal. 13 new players, many without a pre season, players returning from lengthy injuries. Once all fully fit and used to how each other play we will definitely be up there.

Thats why I don’t get why we are looking at specific areas after 3 games. 
If we hadn’t got a point and looked a shambles then possibly cast a more critical eye. But for me it’s all positive and long May it continue.

All good points and fair enough. Didn’t mean to be negative at all - I think what we’ve achieved over the summer and up to now in the season is miracle work. I’m just impatient for us to take the next step - but whichever way we look at it time is going to be the most important ingredient. 

Guest Willow Owl
Just now, Random Task said:

All good points and fair enough. Didn’t mean to be negative at all - I think what we’ve achieved over the summer and up to now in the season is miracle work. I’m just impatient for us to take the next step - but whichever way we look at it time is going to be the most important ingredient. 

Patience and time mate,  Just hope they get both. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Ladies and gentlemen - we are unbeaten, we've conceded ZERO goals, we've got 7 points from the last 3 games, we've got a feel good factor back, we've got huge crowds, we're climbing the league

And some fans are trying to suggest there's a problem with left back Liam Palmer because he's not touched the ball in the opponents box as many times as our number 9 striker

I'm doing nothing of the sort.

I'm simply questioning your earlier post which said Palmer's in the opponents' box more often than our strikers this season.

For what it's worth, I think Palmer's doing everything that could be expected of him so far as a right-footed left-back. Defensively, he's looked very solid, and he's got up and down the pitch pretty well.

I do wonder whether we might see Brown given a runout at left-back at some point in order to offer more natural balance, but now's not the time to start fiddling with our defence.

• Like 2

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Only Fleetwood have attacked down their right more than their left against us so far, though.

110644636_Screenshot2021-08-19at15_04_08.png.f66a249f12ded4c479c3eacb1d26f87b.png

1165748974_Screenshot2021-08-19at15_03_36.png.2a72d2b22ed3474d2427f400cbef9d5a.png

465028060_Screenshot2021-08-19at15_03_51.png.e7dc4f199f7ca70a6d877e890f1e8856.png

So Charlton and Doncaster  attacked more down Hunts side, so the right side is weak not the left?  Against Fleetwood Palmer was up against their best player so they are going to attack more down that side. 

Again stats can be manipulated and don’t show the true picture. 
What is it you are actually trying to say ?

20 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

A left footed left back. Everything we did was down the right. 

if we had offered a threat on both flanks we would have torn them apart. 

Blame Johnson for that, that was his role. Poorest player on the pitch.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I do wonder whether we might see Brown given a runout at left-back at some point in order to offer more natural balance, but now's not the time to start fiddling with our defence.

I don't think we will. Not in the main. Palmer is our first choice left back this season. We put an attacking full back/winger there in Brown then you lose what Palmer offers you defensively. Happend when Penney used to play there. There focus is to attack and they forget about the defensive side of the game. Brown will probably be the same. 

I have touched on this topic in the Hunt thread (I think it was that one) and about the balance it brings with Palmer. Not knowing its in here being talked about.

8 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

So Charlton and Doncaster  attacked more down Hunts side, so the right side is weak not the left?  Against Fleetwood Palmer was up against their best player so they are going to attack more down that side. 

Again stats can be manipulated and don’t show the true picture. 
What is it you are actually trying to say ?

I'm just pointing out that what you were suggesting isn't borne out by the facts: teams aren't loading their right side against us, thus making our right side more more attack minded; so far it's more attack-minded regardless of how the opposition are playing against us.

I don't think which side a team favours for their attacks necessarily tells us anything about the opposition: many teams will have one side which is stronger than the other when it comes to attacking, as we currently do.

18 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Blame Johnson for that, that was his role. Poorest player on the pitch.

He had a decent game. Clearly got a lot of talent but hasn't played a lot of football recently. Give him time.

All of our wide players are rusty and need game time. They'll get it. Stop expecting them to be Garincha the minute the walk on the pitch and we might get start to enjoy spectating our team this season

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

I don't think we will. Not in the main. Palmer is our first choice left back this season. We put an attacking full back/winger there in Brown then you lose what Palmer offers you defensively. Happend when Penney used to play there. There focus is to attack and they forget about the defensive side of the game. Brown will probably be the same. 

I have touched on this topic in the Hunt thread (I think it was that one) and about the balance it brings with Palmer. Not knowing its in here being talked about.

I don't know how it will pan out across the season; I suppose it might depend on how well things are going and how attacking Moore wants us to be as things (hopefully) develop.

A left-footed left-back does provide a certain element of natural balance which a right-footer never will, but as you say, it depends how Brown plays that role, and we've not seen that so far. For the time-being, having a more adventurous right-back and a more solid left-back is serving us well and makes perfect sense as we look to build confidence and solid foundations whilst the squad find their feet.

• Like 1