Marvin Johnson

4 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Jokes aside, i do wish we had a set up to do that kind of scouting at our place.

Obviously the system alone it doesnt guarantee success, as you also need to have an on field system/play style in place too. But it does pretty much ensure that you know the averages of what your getting when you sign a player. I imagine there would be some fan faves who might have come out looking bad and some of the boo boys faves that really came up good in that kind of scouting system.

The problem is, it only really works if you are the only club doing it.

Maths comes out with the same result for everyone.  If every club has a team of analysts looking for 'undervalued' players, suddenly the undervalued players become the overvalued ones that everyone is trying to sign.

Guest Jack the Hat
On 29/07/2021 at 16:43, Groundhopping Owl said:

Assuming you mean Josh Sims - Sims plays on the right and Johnson on the left so I don't see the problem.

And assuming we go through the season without injuries. We are usually pretty lucky with injuries!

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Stats are strange though, let’s be honest. I’ve been to games and thought someone had a stinker only to see that statically they in fact had a great game. 

The trouble with the human brain it sees one goal saving tackle ( like BB against udders) but forgets the five other tackles that have little impact on the game and are instantly forgotten. 

it remembers the crucial pass that slips in the striker to score, rather than seventeen passes back to the centre half.  

Statistically Pelepussy might be a better player than Harris, but I don’t really want to see either in my team.

Most stats are silly.

But goals and assists are a good gauge of an attacker or midfielder’s worth. 

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Most stats are silly.

But goals and assists are a good gauge of an attacker or midfielder’s worth. 

Are they though? Hirsty always said he wouldn’t have scored so many goals without Paul Williams. No one remembers outside of Sheffield remembers him, and I would guess his “stats” were crap. But anyone who saw him play knew how good he was.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Maths comes out with the same result for everyone.  If every club has a team of analysts looking for 'undervalued' players, suddenly the undervalued players become the overvalued ones that everyone is trying to sign.

This is very true and we all know the wednesday way is the slow and last to do things way :duntmatter:. We will get in on it just as its being phased out for a new system. 

do you think its the norm now for big clubs to work on the moneyball system? Personally i cant help feeling its not really something many have yet adopted.  The big clubs still seem to go out and spunk 100s of millions on players with sometimes no real plan or end result coming from it.

Stats are a lazy drawback, you really need to watch a player and the benefits he brings to his teammates. Stats obviously play a part, but when someone argues with only stats it’s usually because they know little else about football 

Edited by FreshOwl

13 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Are they though? Hirsty always said he wouldn’t have scored so many goals without Paul Williams. No one remembers outside of Sheffield remembers him, and I would guess his “stats” were crap. But anyone who saw him play knew how good he was.

People said Nuhiu was crap because of his stats.....

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Yeah but that would mean sixty per cent don't so you can still convince them of whatever you are trying to show.

Disraeli best summed it up when he said 

'Lies,  damn lies and statistics'.

This is the response I wanted to a Homer Simpson quote lol 

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

Depends on what the stattos are looking for surely.

If everyone does it,  but they all have very different aims and goals in terms of how they play then the players they weight their stats towards would be massively different. 

Another good signing, lets see how he plays.

Think he will be in the side on Saturday, especially if he has been training with us.

Don't think we'll get Sims now but think Gregory will be the last one in, hopefully announced today or tomorrow.

1 hour ago, OwlinOldham said:

This is very true and we all know the wednesday way is the slow and last to do things way :duntmatter:. We will get in on it just as its being phased out for a new system. 

do you think its the norm now for big clubs to work on the moneyball system? Personally i cant help feeling its not really something many have yet adopted.  The big clubs still seem to go out and spunk 100s of millions on players with sometimes no real plan or end result coming from it.

I think most big clubs have data analysts on the staff these days, as part of their 'recruitment teams'.

At the end of the day, if you are Man City and money is literally no object, the stats are still going to tell you that the most prolific Premier League striker over the last few seasons is... er... Harry Kane.

• Haha 1