Marvin Johnson

12 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

For comparison.

Johnson - 3 Goals - 4 Assists - 42 Games 

Bannan - 2 Goals - 5 Assists - 46 Games

Reach - 5 Goals - 3 Assists - 44 Games

This is why people shouldn't base an opinion solely on stats. I used my eyes to watch Adam Reach and can tell anyone he was absolute bobbins for the majority of last season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Stats always overrule what people ‘think’

You were saying on the Bannan thread that stats dont tell you everything to the people who stated his stats were rubbish. 

Bit early to be on the pop, Neil.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

You were saying on the Bannan thread that stats dont tell you everything to the people who stated his stats were rubbish. 

Bit early to be on the pop, Neil.

Not sure that's true. Was just one bloke with a made up stat about Harris being better that he kept repeating.

Bannan's stats are amazing. He's got more assists and key passes than any player in the Championship in the last 3 seasons.

• Like 1

Stats are strange though, let’s be honest. I’ve been to games and thought someone had a stinker only to see that statically they in fact had a great game. 

The trouble with the human brain it sees one goal saving tackle ( like BB against udders) but forgets the five other tackles that have little impact on the game and are instantly forgotten. 

it remembers the crucial pass that slips in the striker to score, rather than seventeen passes back to the centre half.  

Statistically Pelepussy might be a better player than Harris, but I don’t really want to see either in my team.

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Stats are strange though, let’s be honest. I’ve been to games and thought someone had a stinker only to see that statically they in fact had a great game. 

The trouble with the human brain it sees one goal saving tackle ( like BB against udders) but forgets the five other tackles that have little impact on the game and are instantly forgotten. 

it remembers the crucial pass that slips in the striker to score, rather than seventeen passes back to the centre half.  

Statistically Pelepussy might be a better player than Harris, but I don’t really want to see either in my team.

I think people don't understand that assists are rarer than goals as well. Strikers regularly score 20 goals a season. In 30 years of the Premier League no-one has every got more than 20 assists in a season.

In that thread, someone was saying Bannan only had 13 assists in the last two seasons. That would comfortably put him in the top 10 players in the league, and he's not even an advanced player like a winger or number 10 who should be getting more assists.

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Yeah but that would mean sixty per cent don't so you can still convince them of whatever you are trying to show.

Disraeli best summed it up when he said 

'Lies,  damn lies and statistics'.

Guest hirstysfags
2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Yeah but that would mean sixty per cent don't so you can still convince them of whatever you are trying to show.

Disraeli best summed it up when he said 

'Lies,  damn lies and statistics'.

I attempted to quote that to my sister in law who is a pharmaceutical statistician and she made feel about one foot tall as she hears it every...single.....day.

14 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

That Moneyball guy has a lot to answer for.

Now everyone in the pub or on the internet is a ******** data analyst as well as a scout and master tactician.

Jokes aside, i do wish we had a set up to do that kind of scouting at our place.

Obviously the system alone it doesnt guarantee success, as you also need to have an on field system/play style in place too. But it does pretty much ensure that you know the averages of what your getting when you sign a player. I imagine there would be some fan faves who might have come out looking bad and some of the boo boys faves that really came up good in that kind of scouting system.