The Wilderless Years

Legendary Swan does have a point in as much as their recruitment prior to promotion to the Premier League was outstanding especially considering what they paid for their better players. Once they got up there though their recruitment was as bad as it was previously good, like their manager and recruitment team couldn't recognise decent top level players if they hit them in the face, it was disastrous. This has now left them with a massive problem of negative equity in their player pool. Several players that they valued at and paid tens of £millions for now worth a fraction of that and still playing just as bad in the Championship as they did in the top tier. They'd have all on giving them away right now Berge apart and my guess is they'd have to pay a big chunk of their wages even to get them out on loan. 

Back down to their normal level what limited recruitment they've done looks decent again but I think if they don't manage to go back up within the next two seasons they're stuffed unless somebody with real money takes the club over. Overall they'd probably be the last club that I'd set up as an example of good transfer dealings unless you take those 2 or 3 good seasons in isolation.

Looks like they have a new entry in their series of "untrue things we've made up about Wednesday but will keep repeating until it becomes a fact in our heads".

Somebody's linked them to, or quite possibly just made up as they have form for that, some terribly researched  article claiming that Wednesday have the biggest ever drop between successive PL home attendances, and also Sheffield's lowest ever PL attendance. It claims that in 1995 we got 39k v Liverpool and then in our next game we only got 10k v Wimbledon. 

Naturally none of them will actually bother to check if that's right or not,  and it isn't of course.  It was 31.9k v Liverpool and 20.4k v Wimbledon, but it's in their heads now anyway so prepare to be lied to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/09/2021 at 12:44, legendaryswan said:

Theyve played a negative brand of football for almost a season, Mcburnie and Brewster have both prospered in the championship, youd expect that to continue in a more attacking side

Signing Brewster for £23M at that time, to a style of play that didn't suit him, was probably a bad move then wouldn't you say? They finished 9th in the PL, then spent multi-millions which got them relegated the following season.

Their previous business may have been good but more recently their transfers have not paid off for them. 

Wilder didn't have a clue what to do with money when he got it to spend. It shone a light on his tactical naivety. 

His tactical genius was built around basic physical attributes, not nuances of the modern game. Whilst it proved effective with the right players for a few seasons, it's no surprise that he leaned quite heavily on the physical preparedness of the players with more spent on sports science. His 'brand' of football was one up from the long ball game of Sam Allardyce, reliant on the spine of the team being able to run with the ball and create more bodies in the box. Whilst it seemed novel, in reality it became pretty easy to figure out and once his players were knackered, their game plan went to pot.

So when he got some money and tried to bring in some class alongside the runners and muscle, they didn't fit in and he didn't have a clue how to get them playing a different game. The likes of Brewster and Berge will go on and have decent careers at clubs who play good football, move the ball around and have some creative flair, sheffield united have and always will be a poor mans wimbledon with their repackaged long ball tactics. 

9 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

What is legendary about Peter Swan, the disgraced footballer who embarrassed SWFC?

Best centre half we ever had, and that wouldnt just be in my opinion either, his name would be in many all time Wednesday Xis by those of a certain age, many never saw him so theyve no idea.

Yes he made a mistake, but that has to be taken into context of the era in which he played,  maybe if it happened today, hed have got sent for some sort of rehab or had to attend some kind of course and would have got to carry on playing afterwards.He cheated himself as much as anyone and paid the price.

19 caps for England bud at CB, you dont get that many caps being just ordinary.

Il trust my own judgement, when I stuck a post on here in the who should succeed Josh Luhukay thread i said David Moyes, out of work at the time, and everyone jumped on saying that he was finished and how he messed up west ham, man utd, sunderland and in spain.

So yeah I trust my judgement kidda.

Have a good evening pal!

• Like 6