Why is Harris taking that free kick????

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The manager should be screaming at Bannan or Reach or Windass to take the ball away from Harris.

I surprised non of out "better" players snatched the ball from his hands.

Perhaps they didn't fancy it. 

And if they don't feel up to it , is there any point in forcing them? It's tricky.

I just used to see who fancied it. You may as well go with confidence.They wouldn't have always  have been my pick, technically,  but there's no point picking someone who's not up for it

Jack Charlton, on direct set pieces

38 minutes ago, apswfcowl said:

What has Harris ever done in a Wednesday shirt to justify taking it? It is just baffling?

This....his shooting has been abysmal in his time here. The only thing I can think of is he's been smashing them in in training. But with such a crucial free kick its baffling why he took it.

Our decision making on and off the pitch is just baffling. 

If fans can see that Harris is going to smash it high into the kop, why can’t senior players or management see it ? 

Smith should have been running on the pitch, screaming to give it to someone else. 

Bannan should have asserted his leadership on the pitch. 

It’s a joke. 

• Like 3

His balls into the box and decision making were terrible all afternoon. I couldn’t believe we get a free kick in stoppage time and he goes ‘I’ll take that Baz’. Fizz me, he’s kidding himself. 

Still find it absolutely hilarious that ANY pro footballer could fail so spectacularly to even remotely trouble the target from that sort of range. Not even a dig at Harris per se, just footballers in general. They’re all crap really, aren’t they? Every last one of them.

Have you actually seen a full-sized EFL goal up close? At penalty range it’s like a transit van parked at the end of your bed, you can hardly see anything BUT the goal and they still miss. This was only about 4 yards further back, I don’t even know how you get it that high over the bar from that close. £25k a week, my giddy aunt.

:duntmatter:lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The manager should be screaming at Bannan or Reach or Windass to take the ball away from Harris.

Another example of our shoddy leadership (or lack of it) both on and off the pitch

I think a fair share of the blame for the decision has to rest with Bannan. We are told what a demanding skipper he is and he should have shown leadership in that situation. After all, it was about our only chance of scoring all afternoon. However, the staff have to shoulder some of the blame. Not on the day, but in their match planning this week. Surely, it’s not too much for us fans to ask, that we practice situations like that in training. After all, free kicks on the edge of the box aren’t particularly rare occurrences are they. So would it be too much to expect that there would be a plan or routine for free kicks, depending on whereabouts they are in relation to the opposition area. Central, left side, right side etc. Or am I just expecting too much from this outfit?

• Like 1

I'm not prone to using expletives at any time but after Harris took the free kick I uttered one out loud. The words just came out. I couldn't believe myself. That's what it did to me. 

Fortunately I was on my own at the time. 

The other side of the area then it’s Bannan’s everyday of the week but in all fairness anyone other than Harris should’ve been taking it as we all knew given his performance what was going to happen.

You had Reach completely unmarked and in a great position for a lay off.

The guy scored a brilliant free kick about two weeks ago ffs.

Something hilarious about Bannan finally not taking a set play/corner and we get Harris as the alternative.