Age to start taking children to matches

1 hour ago, Left-footed Filth said:

At what age did you start taking your kids to matches? 

I know the thought of subjecting young children to this club should probably land parents in handcuffs but I was just interested to know. 

I have a 5 year old (6 this year) and I'm not sure if he's still too young. Thoughts from other (sadistic) parents?

I took both my girls before they were one year old. Madness really but it was that or not go at all. I changed a nappy on the north stand 

• Haha 1

Son and grandson from age of 5. Son still keen but losing interest recently.

Grandson now 12 doesn’t bother watching any more but watches top Premier League games. Says Wednesday are rubbish now in spite of being keen and proudly wearing his Wednesday Kit a couple of years ago. Turning point was going to Secondary school. Got to appear cool and support top teams now.

2 hours ago, Left-footed Filth said:

I know the thought of subjecting young children to this club should probably land parents in handcuffs but I was just interested to know. 

I have a 5 year old (6 this year) and I'm not sure if he's still too young. Thoughts from other (sadistic) parents?

Conundrum this one 

Started to take my lad to a few games when he was 1 mainly when we struggled for a baby sitter. 

Then got him a season ticket at 3, goes every game and never had a problem.

But he is a football nut plays 2-3 games a week and trains the rest of he time.

The lockdown has done his head in not being able to play the game. 

2 hours ago, Left-footed Filth said:

I took my youngest at 7, he's been blaming me ever since!

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

You’re joking 

They were both hardcore fans

Yes

My lad never missed, home or away, done something like 60+ away grounds too by the time he was 20. Now gets more enjoyment at non League

My daughter has a small break for 3 seasons when she bought her first house, came back for last 2 seasons and now can't face it any more

"Its boring and crap and a complete waste of money"

Can't really argue with that

No child should be subjected to the level of filth being served up on a regular basis at S6...definitely shouldn’t be allowed in until they are 18 and only before the 9.00pm watershed as we seem to concede a lot of goals in the last 30 mins of a night match🙄

My dad took me from when I was three years old. The age I remember starting to enjoy it was was around 7 years old, which was the age I had just started playing competitive football.  I remember being distraught one season because we finished 7th in Prem and narrowly missed out on Europe. If only I knew at the time that was as good as it was going to get for the next 20+ years.

I have a daughter that is two but feels way too early to inflict a lifetime of misery on her just yet. She has learned to say "rubbish Wednesday" when I have the game on so she'll fit right in when she does start coming to the matches with me though.  Might take her to a summer friendly just to plant the seed in her head.

Took my boys from 7/8. It was a great day out with cousins, uncles and grandad. We used to go to the Sheridan Suite and get pie and a drink and then go up to the match. 
Wednesday matches were just a great day out. 
No one really cared about results or the game.
My eldest now goes to the local club with his mates rather than watch Wednesday. My youngest doesn’t even bother with football at all. They are both happy to come for a day out but I don’t think you could describe either of them as Wednesdayites. We have some brilliant memories though. 

Took my lad at 8.

He was asking to go.

I was concerned he wouldn't really be interested enough to sit still and watch the whole way through.

So I said if he could watch a game on TV all the way through I'd take him to Hillsborough.

First game he watched was England v France in Euro 2004, one nil up and we lost 2-1 in injury time.

Set him up well to be a Wednesdayite.

We've been season ticket holders ever since.

Its a good question, I've just become a grandad for the first time and already thinking about when I should start taking him.

I used to take my son in the premier league years and he was bored watching the likes of man united, Chelsea etc. He used to take a comic with him to read during the match.

bizarrely for his 16th birthday, her wanted a season ticket (we were in division 3 at that time) as he'd started going with his mates.

Just goes to highlight its not really about football, its the social aspect more than anything

• Like 2

Some really interesting responses. Thanks.

Have noticed that some people have mentioned kids sitting playing on tablets and stuff but ill be honest and say that this wouldnt bother me. My entire life as a parent has been completely dominated by doing what the kids want with very little (if any) account taken of anything I'd like to do. 

If my son sits and plays tablet games for the entire game it wouldn't bother me if I was at least able to watch. 

In saying that after 20mins of watching us play if probably end up playing with him

Edited by Left-footed Filth