Age to start taking children to matches

18 minutes ago, Dot said:

Its a good question, I've just become a grandad for the first time and already thinking about when I should start taking him.

I used to take my son in the premier league years and he was bored watching the likes of man united, Chelsea etc. He used to take a comic with him to read during the match.

bizarrely for his 16th birthday, her wanted a season ticket (we were in division 3 at that time) as he'd started going with his mates.

Just goes to highlight its not really about football, its the social aspect more than anything

Very similar thing happened with me actually.

I went in the early 90's cos dad took me and I loved it but I lost interest in the later years when we had the likes of Carbone and DiCanio and hardly ever went (losing interest was certainly not anything to do with them). 

I started going again after we got relegated and had the Chupa Chups shirt (2002 I think) and for a season ticket cos my mate was mad into going. 

I think it boiled down to the fact that not only did I want to go with my mate, it was a time when we were old enough to start going without parents so it was really great having that I independence. 

Like you said, nothing to do with the quality of the football or who played. Purely down to the social aspect. 

My brother took me to my first game, intertoto cup game at milllmoor when Hillsborough was getting ready for euro96 so I'd have been about 5 I think, I got bored about the hour mark but soldiered through to the end. 

My dad was never into football so used to go whenever my brothers or uncle had a spare seat in the car, and i think the fact I didn't get dragged there every week as a kid made me enjoy going. 

My boy is just 6 and I'm thinking of taking him to his first match when we're allowed back in, my only obstacle is his mothers side of the family who are trying to brainwash him into supporting L**ds.  Any advice on this final thing would be appreciated.

Took my son to his first game aged 9 and he loved it so I got us season tickets in the family area, his was only £23.

My sister took my nephew (aged 5) to a couple of pre covid games, and he can't wait to go again. 

Apparently my Dad took me aged 4 in the late 70s and I just used to run around the North Stand! 

First game I can remember is Cambridge at home in 1982, David Mills scored twice. 

9 or 10 seems a reasonable age unless they really want to go before then. 

Any younger and I would be taking them for my own benefit and not theirs. 

I prefer doing something for the whole family than drag them to my event where they sit on an iPad and endure the event. 

24 minutes ago, Sambo89 said:

My brother took me to my first game, intertoto cup game at milllmoor when Hillsborough was getting ready for euro96 so I'd have been about 5 I think, I got bored about the hour mark but soldiered through to the end. 

My dad was never into football so used to go whenever my brothers or uncle had a spare seat in the car, and i think the fact I didn't get dragged there every week as a kid made me enjoy going. 

My boy is just 6 and I'm thinking of taking him to his first match when we're allowed back in, my only obstacle is his mothers side of the family who are trying to brainwash him into supporting L**ds.  Any advice on this final thing would be appreciated.

Divorce.......................................................simples.

• Haha 1

I started going at 12. We have 3 girls, the eldest/ middle of which we started to take when they were 13 and 10 respectively. But the youngest who was a bit of a outlier in family planning terms, holiday....too much booze 🙄 we started taking about 6, but she would get quite bored, but this hasn't deterred her, and she can't wait to get back.

My lad was four, to be honest a lot of the time he got bored, didn’t have the attention span. By the time he was 6 or 7 he was hooked, although this team is now sucking it out of him to the stage were  he’s questioning getting a season ticket.

• Like 1