Age to start taking children to matches

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The space on the front row of the South Stand is amazing for kids 

Took mine at 3, front of South. Attention span so distract with sweets etc etc. Became regular from 5 and moved to the Kop, loved it. 14 now and now wants to go the North. 

Think the next question should be at what age do they pay for their own season tickets and Beres ?

• Love 2

My lad is just turned 6, took him to his first game when he nearly 4. It didn't hold his full attention but he did enjoy the experience.

I'd recommend taking kids to the players entrance, showing them pics of the players. I had a calendar in his bedroom from him being about 2 (poor lad). It helped then that he knew the names etc and it wasn't just 11 blokes running around in blue and white.

Not sure what they'll do in the future but look out for any community days too. We went to the family fun day two years running with myself passing on the pitch both times in a game and having a kick about with my son on the pitch before. He probably doesn't remember it now but any bits you can do swfc related which are fun will help them be keen to be more involved.

Took my little girl to watch us v Barnsley just before she was 5.

Sat near the back of the kop, thought the band might entertain her if she got bored.

She loved it, honestly.

But...

She went to sleep early second half when we was two up and when she woke up

and asked me if we won I was like yeeeeeah course we did.

She's actually only found out recently we drew 2-2 and I only told her we won to make sure

I didn't ruin her day.

Best thing I ever did was take her, as she's a bigger fan than me now.

On 07/03/2021 at 07:35, Left-footed Filth said:

At what age did you start taking your kids to matches? 

I know the thought of subjecting young children to this club should probably land parents in handcuffs but I was just interested to know. 

I have a 5 year old (6 this year) and I'm not sure if he's still too young. Thoughts from other (sadistic) parents?

I reckon the first game after Chansiri moves on would be ideal, new dawn and a safe healthy environment where everyone will be in a good mood, In my honest opinion

5 hours ago, qantas said:

Took my son when he was 5, he held attention for about two minutes during the warm up...rest of the time he just ran along rows of empty seats at the top of the North.

My dad was a mad Chesterfield fan, saltergate had a few good memories for me, 4000+crowds,didnt know any better, until he took me to Hillsborough for the first time in August 67 or 68 for Owls v man utd, best, law and Charlton in their team, 50000+ crowd Wednesday won 5-4, and I never looked back, was 3 years old when he took me to Chesterfield, haven't been back in 50 odd years

ive always wanted to take my daughter (now 3.5 yrs old) mainly just to meet ozzie owl and see the ground etc.

Unfortunately i think she would rather watch Shimmer and Shine and i would miss the whole match trying to keep her "entertained".

On  a different note club should let kids go free, need new generation to come through as paid for supporters.

Son went with me a few times when he was 4,won both games and he was demanding to go again.

Got him a season ticket with me on kop at 5,the lads ,gents I stand ,sorry sit with,got on great with him and on how he understood and talked alot of sense on what he saw.

As the winter months came,he complained of the cold and would want to leave earlier and earlier,missed plenty of goals on our walk up Herries road.

Never allowed him to take is tablet or ds with him,and the only thing he wanted apart from the football was his chips in the ground.

Glad I took him at that age because after missing this season I doubt he will want to return on a regular basis,bit like myself.

Started taking the eldest grandson when he was six, at his behest. Was generally disinterested in the match though, and me constantly chiding him for kicking the seat in front. 

As he got older, 7 and 8, he's now more engrossed in the match, and getting involved in the singing. 

Now using that as the benchmark age to take the other grandkids, who are keen to follow in their brothers/cousins footsteps. 

14 hours ago, ReginaldD said:

My lad is just turned 6, took him to his first game when he nearly 4. It didn't hold his full attention but he did enjoy the experience.

I'd recommend taking kids to the players entrance, showing them pics of the players. I had a calendar in his bedroom from him being about 2 (poor lad). It helped then that he knew the names etc and it wasn't just 11 blokes running around in blue and white.

Not sure what they'll do in the future but look out for any community days too. We went to the family fun day two years running with myself passing on the pitch both times in a game and having a kick about with my son on the pitch before. He probably doesn't remember it now but any bits you can do swfc related which are fun will help them be keen to be more involved.

If its possible try to get him as a mascot, really great experience for them and watching your lad in a kit kicking a ball around on the pitch is priceless....one of the best days I have had let alone him.

• Like 2

On 07/03/2021 at 07:40, @owlstalk said:

Someone I know started taking their child from a baby

They had them in a papoose from being a tiny baby

They were perfectly safe and the babies mum made sure the baby was perfectly warm and fed and happy (think it slept through most games at first though!)

Has to be the youngest ever attendee at a game too!

I was 2 weeks old at my first game (back in the 70's)!

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
3 hours ago, modboy said:

ive always wanted to take my daughter (now 3.5 yrs old) mainly just to meet ozzie owl and see the ground etc.

Unfortunately i think she would rather watch Shimmer and Shine and i would miss the whole match trying to keep her "entertained".

On  a different note club should let kids go free, need new generation to come through as paid for supporters.

It used to be free for Under 5s

I was 4 when I first went to a match,I can remember bits of it to this day,funny as I cant recall half of what happened yesterday but that day is still in my memory!

My Dad had a business close to the ground and Id often ask where all the people were going,I kept on and on at him until one day he eventually took me,the opponents wore red & whte stripes,I cheered  when the other team scored,which brought a stiff rebuke from my Dad and some strained faces around us,Im pretty sure we went in just after half time, north stand. I loved every second and went a few more times untill the following season when my dad got me a season ticket.

On 07/03/2021 at 07:35, Left-footed Filth said:

At what age did you start taking your kids to matches? 

I know the thought of subjecting young children to this club should probably land parents in handcuffs but I was just interested to know. 

I have a 5 year old (6 this year) and I'm not sure if he's still too young. Thoughts from other (sadistic) parents?

My Nephew who is 14 (and on his 11th st) started coming with me when he was 5, he asked to come to matches and i made sure i always took stuff to distract him if he got bored 

The 1st season he didn't take a lot of notice but it was in the time of the free STs for under 8s so nothing was lost but he couldn't wait to go the next season Obviously he didn't go to Midweek games at that time