Age to start taking children to matches

At what age did you start taking your kids to matches? 

I know the thought of subjecting young children to this club should probably land parents in handcuffs but I was just interested to know. 

I have a 5 year old (6 this year) and I'm not sure if he's still too young. Thoughts from other (sadistic) parents?

Someone I know started taking their child from a baby

They had them in a papoose from being a tiny baby

They were perfectly safe and the babies mum made sure the baby was perfectly warm and fed and happy (think it slept through most games at first though!)

Has to be the youngest ever attendee at a game too!

Owlstalk Shop

My 4 year old is no way near ready. But hopefully in a year or 2 we have a (league one) promotion chasing team getting biggish crowds and it will be time.

I first went at 6 standing on the kop and don't remember very much. By 8 it was all seated and I was going every week

I started taking my youngest lad when he was 5 going on 6. It was Carlos first season and he fell in love with it all. He is now 11 and doesn’t even watch them on I follow or sky now. 

Been all over the country with him watching  Wednesday, he even cried at Wembley. 

Without sounding corny I will look back and remember that 2 year period with fondness.

our life has since moved on, our family has grown and business commitments are now a priority.

but in my opinion it’s the perfect age to start taking your lad. 

• Like 1

Just now, gillyno9 said:

I started taking my youngest lad when he was 5 going on 6. It was Carlos first season and he fell in love with it all. He is now 11 and doesn’t even watch them on I follow or sky now. 

Been all over the country with him watching  Wednesday, he even cried at Wembley. 

Without sounding corny I will look back and remember that 2 year period with fondness.

our life has since moved on, our family has grown and business commitments are now a priority.

but in my opinion it’s the perfect age to start taking your lad. 

When did he stop?

Did he find other things to do?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

When did he stop?

Did he find other things to do?

We still had season tickets up to last season. Was never going to re new this season regardless of COVID. 

l run a local grassroots football team and have done for the last 5 years. Hopefully we can pick that up again once permitted 

Just now, zzmdu said:

Took mine at 3, out of nappies & day time sleep well gone.

At 3 they wanted to go when the sweets ran out, so take plenty.

From my experience with my kids, at 3 or 4 years old it’s the hardest time to explain to them that they need to sit still and not run on the pitch 

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

From my experience with my kids, at 3 or 4 years old it’s the hardest time to explain to them that they need to sit still and not run on the pitch 

lol

Have the same problem with my old man tbh

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Yep, some use phones/tablets as pacifiers, I never did & thought badly of a bloke whose two sons spent the entire game in their ipads.

But to be fair, I was wrong, now they are older, they both watch the match.

We have a fsmi!y on the kop, who have taken daughter from birth, now bout 3 years old. Wouldn't recommend it, but the mother had a sister & mum on hand to help & it worked ok.

• Love 1

Took my grandson a couple of times when he was 3. Got tickets in the South near the front. He loved the colours, the noise, the music and Ozzie. Great for a special day out but too young for every home match. Now, he’d think he was on the Naughty Step.

• Haha 2

Just now, doubleo said:

Took my grandson a couple of times when he was 3. Got tickets in the South near the front. He loved the colours, the noise, the music and Ozzie. Great for a special day out but too young for every home match. Now, he’d think he was on the Naughty Step.

The space on the front row of the South Stand is amazing for kids 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grandad

Both my 2 went from before they were 1

Breaks my heart that the last 20 years of crap has seen them both stop going