Why are barnsley better than us?

Guest Therealrealist

On 14/02/2021 at 19:37, Tollertonowl said:

I can see a lot of teams in the Championship who think that they might be safe, but by the end are sucked into a relegation battle...

This doesn't apply to us on three counts.

1. We don't think that we are safe.

2. We are already well and truly sucked into the relegation mire.

3. We are not battling.

Nothing to worry about at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/02/2021 at 19:36, @owlstalk said:

Take away our points deduction and you have the answer that they're not really - not that much

Relax

One day we'll have a different chairman and then we can be as big/good as Barnsley / Leeds United / Sheffield United again x

*runs off*

So...they are then

• Like 2

On 25/02/2021 at 09:22, dumboldowl said:

This doesn't apply to us on three counts.

1. We don't think that we are safe.

2. We are already well and truly sucked into the relegation mire.

3. We are not battling.

Nothing to worry about at all.

At the time I wasn't implying this statement to SWFC (us), but the teams around the mid table mark like Birmingham, Huddersfield, Coventry etc... We've (clearly) always been in the relegation battle with 12 (now 6) points deduction from day one... I was implying then that we still have hope of catching a lot of teams above us - regardless... However since I made this statement the wheels have (well and truly) fallen off and our form (run of results) has stalled big time in crucial games and so I agree with your Point 3 in terms of battling... 

• Like 1

On 27/02/2021 at 17:38, runningaround said:

they have a structural and business plan its something we dont have

Things change in football pretty quickly and I'm pretty sure they were in envy of us a few seasons ago... It's also easy to catch a cold with the new rules and regulations in the championship and things can go south pretty quickly as we are witnessing at the moment...

2 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

Things change in football pretty quickly and I'm pretty sure they were in envy of us a few seasons ago... It's also easy to catch a cold with the new rules and regulations in the championship and things can go south pretty quickly as we are witnessing at the moment...

Business plan for babys

Set ya budget

spend within your means

offer low wages with an incentive to attain higher should targets be met

Use a highly reputable recruitment agency,

offer performance related incentives

Do a thorough background check

Build team spirit and make sure all training is upto date

Make sure all health problems are historical and not current,Employ medical advisor to ensure employee is fit to work

Year 2

clear out the lobbers

and repeat

And then ya can begin to assemble a workforce thats fit for purpose

• Like 4

I read somewhere that before Barnsley appointed Valerian Imael, they looked at the stats and it told then that his prevoius team he managed, LASK in Austria, had the second best pressing stats in the whole of Europe.

He's certainly got Barnsley working hard, pressing from the front, running all day long and look at the results.

It's that kind of forward thinking I wish we had at Wednesday.

• Like 3

They have a plan which includes good recruitment. As many in the game will tell you recruitment is key. I’m struggling to see what Downes and Hughes bring to the table TBH? One of the first things I’d do if I was Moore would be to bin them off as he’s recruited better particularly at Doncaster than either of these two have since their arrival here.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

They have a plan which includes good recruitment. As many in the game will tell you recruitment is key. I’m struggling to see what Downes and Hughes bring to the table TBH? One of the first things I’d do if I was Moore would be to bin them off as he’s recruited better particularly at Doncaster than either of these two have since their arrival here.

Id disagree with that. The recruiters are pretty capable and identify players, it’s not up to them to get the actual deals done or decide who we go for.

Prior to joining us Luongo wasn’t injury prone, was a captain and had the highest tackling % in the league with a year to run on his contract. Them sussing that is what it’s all about and then passing it on. Typically he’s now been injured constantly.

Pickering who we lost out on would’ve been spotted by them. As will a range of others. I just don’t think we have been attractive enough a prospect this season if any other teams are interested they go there. Even Green seemed to bide his time.