Why are barnsley better than us?

Guest Therealrealist

On 14/02/2021 at 19:36, @owlstalk said:

Take away our points deduction and you have the answer that they're not really - not that much

Relax

One day we'll have a different chairman and then we can be as big/good as Barnsley / Leeds United / Sheffield United again x

*runs off*

An awful lot changed in a month didn’t it ? 

On 07/03/2021 at 00:35, WalthamOwl said:

Painful seeing how well they are doing while we are sleep walking in to league one. Sickening. 

Not just league 1,There's a real possibility of struggling to stay even in L1 next season thanks to clowns like DC and Paxo who have really shafted the club.

• Like 2

Other teams showing us time after time that you don't need to throw money away to be in the right places.

You don't need to price fans out to build a team.

Our problem is that we think money solves everything.  Nothing will beat having the right employees implementing the right plan.  

• Like 3

i seem to remember that just after Barnsley were bought out,that that were some disappointment from Barnsley Fans that they were expected to go on a mass spending spree but the owners said no to that,and by the look of things they have the right decision.DC please take note.

• Like 2

Why ???

Well, they don't have an owner who believes everything his 'trusted advisor'  whispers in his ear ...consequently they don't have a poorly mixed team with a high proportion of aging, injury prone  individuals who, in conjunction with their agent,  are simply seeking a series of paydays at the expense of the owner, the club  and its fans.

Instead they have a clear view of where they want to be and seem to have engaged the type of players they need in order to achieve that. Furthermore they appear to have a clear and a collective view of how the club needs to change in order to acheive their aims - rather than continually stating an aim that bears no obvious relation to the actions they are taking. 

More than anything else they seem to have direction , belief and a strategy to move forward which is clear to all.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, kikka said:

Why ???

Well, they don't have an owner who believes everything his 'trusted advisor'  whispers in his ear ...consequently they don't have a poorly mixed team with a high proportion of aging, injury prone  individuals who, in conjunction with their agent,  are simply seeking a series of paydays at the expense of the owner, the club  and its fans.

Instead they have a clear view of where they want to be and seem to have engaged the type of players they need in order to achieve that. Furthermore they appear to have a clear and a collective view of how the club needs to change in order to acheive their aims - rather than continually stating an aim that bears no obvious relation to the actions they are taking. 

More than anything else they seem to have direction , belief and a strategy to move forward which is clear to all.  

And they could well be rewarded at the end of the season by getting in the play-offs or better.Compare that with the abosolute shambles  at S6 under DC and Paxo.And these's people like MTPO still thinks that DC has been fantastic.

Guest Hornsby

Maybe I'm simple but why not imitate Barnsley and Brentford?

Start by recruiting one of their Assistant Stat man who will be frustrated by now and looking for a job promotion.

And give him all tools for job , not  Amstrad that's currently processing refunds.  Apparently. 

On 14/03/2021 at 12:35, Manwë said:

Other teams showing us time after time that you don't need to throw money away to be in the right places.

You don't need to price fans out to build a team.

Our problem is that we think money solves everything.  Nothing will beat having the right employees implementing the right plan.  

And yet we cheer the decision to recontract the likes of Bannan on what I assume is 15-20k per week. 

We really do overpay, under deliver and get far from value from money from our ‘stars’. Mowatt reportedly earns a quarter of what Bannan does whilst contributing twice as much. I was really hoping we’d go to a clean slate with far more sensible approach to salaries, player ages, etc. But I’m afraid it’s more of the same but older and lesser quality this time round.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Maybe I'm simple but why not imitate Barnsley and Brentford?

Start by recruiting one of their Assistant Stat man who will be frustrated by now and looking for a job promotion.

And give him all tools for job , not  Amstrad that's currently processing refunds.  Apparently. 

He went to PNE last week 

On 14/03/2021 at 09:48, parkfieldowl14 said:

Not just league 1,There's a real possibility of struggling to stay even in L1 next season thanks to clowns like DC and Paxo who have really shafted the club.

When we turning out the results I had hope/ belief we’d stay up, but in reality we’ve for many reasons (most our expectations) still retained the same team that failed promotion... So I think now that L1 and a hopeful bounce back (within a few years) is the only option to clear the decks and build... Maybe the failure to sell players when we should’ve is (with hindsight) what’s cost at the moment...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tollertonowl said:

When we turning out the results I had hope/ belief we’d stay up, but in reality we’ve for many reasons (most our expectations) still retained the same team that failed promotion... So I think now that L1 and a hopeful bounce back (within a few years) is the only option to clear the decks and build... Maybe the failure to sell players when we should’ve is (with hindsight) what’s cost at the moment...

Absolutely spot on there.As for bouncing back,It will take at least 2 to 4 Seasons before things start to settle down again.Personally, I don't expect ourselves to be one of favourites in L1 next season.Mid table is proberly the best we can hope for, and i just pray that DC lets DM gets on with the job of rebuilding the team.

12 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Absolutely spot on there.As for bouncing back,It will take at least 2 to 4 Seasons before things start to settle down again.Personally, I don't expect ourselves to be one of favourites in L1 next season.Mid table is proberly the best we can hope for, and i just pray that DC lets DM gets on with the job of rebuilding the team.

L1 is a tough league to get out of as it’s completely different to the championship in terms of standard of football, which again (the Championship) is completely different to the Premiership...  I fear that we could be down there for some time whilst rebuilding a team and then after promotion from L1 suffering again for years to build a promotion team to the premiership... Even then we’d be lucky to last more than a year in the premiership, as has been the rule... 

On 15/02/2021 at 20:36, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Your 11 points clear of us. We're in the best form we've been in all season and you reckon you will gain an extra 14 points then us over the remainder of this season?

Deluded 

Look, I'm not going to kick a guy when he's down, but I'm not gonna lie, this post one month on? It hasn't aged well lol

• Haha 4