Thompson

Interesting comment post match - “players don’t want to just sit in and defend” - must be a dig at how we were playing under Pulis. You could just tell the players hated that style and weren’t able to break the lines at all to get forward.

At least that has changed now 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, John Howard said:

Happy with him !!! Has the team playing some good football tonight . .Playing youth ,who are playing with confidence .Sensible substitutions.

Remember when under Monk we played Man City with 11 men behind the ball even when 2-0 down . Remember Pulis .

Experienced Managers who did not motivate the squad .

#Give him until end of Season . The players obviously play for him .

That game we lost 1-0 you mean? lol

• Like 2

Just now, Owly Mowly said:

Interesting comment post match - “players don’t want to just sit in and defend” - must be a dig at how we were playing under Pulis. You could just tell the players hated that style and weren’t able to break the lines at all to get forward.

At least that has changed now 

I'm sure they don't. We've had years of being a defence orientated team,  Carlos went into his shell after his first season, Jos started with 5 at the  back and occassionally no strikers. Bruce was better, but still pragmatic, Monk negative and  Pulis just didnt play football at all. 

Our players dont know how to attack and won't happen overnight. Unlikely to happen any time soon as we now have no time,  other than recovery, not even a free week  between games until mid March. More pressing than that, we don't even have a manager 

• Like 1

Can’t see anyone else being able to work with DC and the circumstances the club are in right now. There may be interested parties but we’ve already had a couple who clearly can’t agree with the chairman in Cook currently and Cowley in the past. DC won’t change his ways so those ships have sailed.

Better the devil you know with Thompson I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Giving the job to Thompson - even just until the end of the season - was unthinkable for me a few weeks ago. My big fear is what another poster described well as the "substitute teacher" effect. It's a lot easier, though not necessarily easy, to be liked by the players when you don't have to make decisions over which players to drop or how to deal with disciplinary issues. Then there are unknowns such as his tactical ability and his ability to motivate players and lift them when the team's form dips. However, these are unknowns as things stand.

Now, I'm one of those who's starting to believe that he's our best option at this point, albeit for purely pragmatic reasons. Having had two matches postponed, the remaining schedule is going to be even more relentless and I can't see how anyone who comes in is going to have anywhere close to the amount of time they would need to get to grips with the squad and implement their methods. They won't have a transfer window to work with, plus little time to put together and embed a backroom staff. Thompson may not have much experience as a manager, but he is a very experienced coach who is respected by the players. He comes across as confident and assured in his interviews and he seems to be keen on the job, so I don't think he's going to be overwhelmed; I reckon he knows exactly what he'd be walking into. Besides, I'm not sure if there's anyone else left up to the task who really wants it anymore given everything that's happened to put them off both before and since Pulis's departure.

• Like 3

Thompsons made a good fist of things, but we need a manager ASAP a stopgaps ok for a couple of games,Thompsons rode his luck with 2 streaky wins,where we could have gone in 4 down by halftime in both games.But luck doesnt last a season.

We need organising, a style of play we can settle on,and squad adjustments to fit that style, with coaching and recruitment staff that are likewise.

• Like 1

compared to monk and pulis in such a short time the football is alrready a million miles away from a month ago. We got beat by a better team. But thompson got experience to the young players who he sees as having a future and gave green a chance. Very sensible team selection considering everything and I like the way we tried to pass the ball quickly in triangles with over laps from the backs. Given time I can see Thompson getting much more out of these players than the last 2 managers.

We need a striker. A good goal scorer. Green will be useful and a definite starter when fit. Think he will be a good signing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hirstys_achilles said:

compared to monk and pulis in such a short time the football is alrready a million miles away from a month ago. We got beat by a better team. But thompson got experience to the young players who he sees as having a future and gave green a chance. Very sensible team selection considering everything and I like the way we tried to pass the ball quickly in triangles with over laps from the backs. Given time I can see Thompson getting much more out of these players than the last 2 managers.

We need a striker. A good goal scorer. Green will be useful and a definite starter when fit. Think he will be a good signing

The problem is when he starts to get serial defeats in the league.

It's having the experience to stop the rot.

We really should have lost to both 'Boro and Derby, and we were lucky not to.

He's done a good job as an interim manager, but we need a bona fide manager.

• Like 2

The situation at the club is stark.  We cant pay players on time, cant afford any decent players and clearly have COVID issues in the squad.  We don't need some egomaniac like Keane, Pulis or any of these types to come in.   We just need an honest, no ego coach who is happy with being in his tracksuit, working as best we can with what we have got in the building as it stands.  NT fits the bill.

Let him and Bullen take this from here on in for the season.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

The problem is when he starts to get serial defeats in the league.

It's having the experience to stop the rot.

We really should have lost to both 'Boro and Derby, and we were lucky not to.

He's done a good job as an interim manager, but we need a bona fide manager.

I agree.

As good a job has he has done if we had a few defeats on the bounce then we would have a panic situation on our hands.

This will probably pan out

He gets the job by default because the club have been so shambolic in recruiting a replacement for Pulis.

Luckily, he doesn't need any experience in transfer dealing because he's not allowed to sign anyone anyway, so Chansiri won't get asked pesky questions in interviews about the budget.  Everyone's a winner.

We are second from bottom, and if we lose any games, the pressure will mount on him and Chansiri.

• Like 1

We have a decent 50/50 chance of stopping up with Thompson. 

I don't see any new guy making much of a difference for this season. So it might be reasonable to stay as we are until we know what league we are in next season and then recruit from there. 

6 minutes ago, Geedee said:

We have a decent 50/50 chance of stopping up with Thompson. 

I don't see any new guy making much of a difference for this season. So it might be reasonable to stay as we are until we know what league we are in next season and then recruit from there. 

How far we've fallen, to say that our best chance of staying up and that's only 50% is a member of our backroom staff with little management experience, and no one can do any better is depressing

• Like 1