Thompson

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

DC will get crucified if he takes on NT as manager, the cheap option, inexperienced, a puppet etc etc.  Would be madness and after a couple of defeats the fans would be on his case.

Sorry Neil but not this time. 

1000000%

A couple of defeats and this place would be in meltdown.

Let's be honest Thompson so far hasn't had to do any coaching or managing. He's just basically taken the shackles off and we have scraps a few results. 

Once we hit a ropey patch do we really trust him to turn it around?? We can't afford to take a chance here we need to get an experienced manager in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

compared to monk and pulis in such a short time the football is alrready a million miles away from a month ago. We got beat by a better team. But thompson got experience to the young players who he sees as having a future and gave green a chance. Very sensible team selection considering everything and I like the way we tried to pass the ball quickly in triangles with over laps from the backs. Given time I can see Thompson getting much more out of these players than the last 2 managers.

We need a striker. A good goal scorer. Green will be useful and a definite starter when fit. Think he will be a good signing

How are we playing a million times better. Pulis played a tactic of defend and try to pinch a goal and ride our luck, the last to league game was defend, sneak a goal and ride our luck. At the moment Thompson's got no pressure on him, make him permanent that changes. If he loses a few( which we will) fans will be after him like a rabid dog 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trev said:

1000000%

Let's be honest Thompson so far hasn't had to do any coaching or managing. He's just basically taken the shackles off and we have scraps a few results. 

Once we hit a ropey patch do we really trust him to turn it around?? We can't afford to take a chance here we need to get an experienced manager in.

yes. It is to much of a risk to take. Perhaps if we where mid table it would be okay but the fact we are 6 points from safety we simply can’t afford the risk imo. 

10 minutes ago, trev said:

1000000%

Does he need to do much “managing” though? He picks the team, he works on different shapes etc and he motivates the players. A coach can do that - and luckily enough that’s what he is. The games are coming thick and fast, they’re all a tight knit group playing for him and he looks like he’s created a good atmosphere around the club. For this task - going out and scraping enough points to avoid relegation Thompson and his siege mentality might be what we need.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shez owl said:

He’ll do

I think that he’ll have to !

Chansiri is in Thailand, he knows that there is zero revenue so he’s thinking to himself “ Thompson’s not costing me any extra, he hasn’t fu*ked up yet, a new manager is going to add two hundred grand to the wage bill, I think that I’ll leave things the way they are”

1 hour ago, bubbleowl said:

How far we've fallen, to say that our best chance of staying up and that's only 50% is a member of our backroom staff with little management experience, and no one can do any better is depressing

Yes its depressing, but I think its accurate. With a new manager you might get a 'bounce' you might also get what happened with Tony  Pullis , with no transfer window and a board that is facing lots of challenges it s a very difficult job for a guy new to the club. At least Thompson knows his way around the place and with fairness he has done ok so far.

7 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Thompsons made a good fist of things, but we need a manager ASAP a stopgaps ok for a couple of games,Thompsons rode his luck with 2 streaky wins,where we could have gone in 4 down by halftime in both games.But luck doesnt last a season.

We need organising, a style of play we can settle on,and squad adjustments to fit that style, with coaching and recruitment staff that are likewise.

I think your points are completely valid and pretty much what I've been thinking for the last few weeks. 

However, the reason I'm prepared to accept that Thompson may still be worth sticking with is because of how unlikely it is now that we'll get a decent manager at the moment who's going to have time to sort out the organisation, style of play, etc., especially with so little time left.  We don't have a full week off again until March (as things stand, though I know Covid could change that), and as much as I couldn't bear Pulis, I have to concede that it must be incredibly hard to establish a style of play and coach a team to execute your style of play and tactics properly when there's a match every three or four days.  This season, it's going to be harder than ever for a new manager to parachute in halfway through and have an impact.  Again, this is purely pragmatic thinking on my part.  I would have been happy with the likes of Cook or Moore, but I just don't see us getting anyone who I'd be optimistic about at this stage.

48 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Does he need to do much “managing” though? He picks the team, he works on different shapes etc and he motivates the players. A coach can do that - and luckily enough that’s what he is. The games are coming thick and fast, they’re all a tight knit group playing for him and he looks like he’s created a good atmosphere around the club. For this task - going out and scraping enough points to avoid relegation Thompson and his siege mentality might be what we need.

Not at the minute no. He has just told the players to go out and play.

But then the initial motivation of having more freedom runs out...following the inevitable back to back defeats. Does he have the experience and authority to change it up and drop players? Will the players even listen to him? 

He's not a young ex pro learning his trade in the u23s. He's seen very much as a youth coach and has been for 20 plus years. 

I just don't think it's a good idea when we are staring down the barrel of relegation. 

Remember when Bullen had a decent run of performance? We had loads of people on here saying give him the job. Then we lost a few and all of a sudden it was universally the wrong decision to give Bullen the job. He was just a balls and bib organiser. He has no experience or technical know-how etc etc.

Will be exactly the same if not worse this time around.

Only this time...we go down.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brian said:

I think your points are completely valid and pretty much what I've been thinking for the last few weeks. 

However, the reason I'm prepared to accept that Thompson may still be worth sticking with is because of how unlikely it is now that we'll get a decent manager at the moment who's going to have time to sort out the organisation, style of play, etc., especially with so little time left.  We don't have a full week off again until March (as things stand, though I know Covid could change that), and as much as I couldn't bear Pulis, I have to concede that it must be incredibly hard to establish a style of play and coach a team to execute your style of play and tactics properly when there's a match every three or four days.  This season, it's going to be harder than ever for a new manager to parachute in halfway through and have an impact.  Again, this is purely pragmatic thinking on my part.  I would have been happy with the likes of Cook or Moore, but I just don't see us getting anyone who I'd be optimistic about at this stage.

Pretty much how I see it. Our salvation this season, will depend on what player recruitment we do in this window. As things stand, all any manager can do is shut up shop, and hope that we can nick something. We would have to be extremely fortunate for those tactics to keep us up, but Thompson has as much chance as anyone else of achieving that. He lacks experience, but he does have the advantage of knowing the players. With the bulk of our remaining season condensed into this next month, no new manager would have time to get to know the players. I’m not optimistic that we will stay up, but that’s not really down to our managerial situation. For me it’s simple, bring in the forwards that we failed to deliver in the summer, and we might have a chance. Failure to do so again, and we’ll slip meekly into League One

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Morepork said:

* Cracks up at people that view each team selection in isolation.......... like there's no bigger picture. 

Bigger picture is for over 3 seasons we've been in a right old mess and the futures not looking great, no manager and the 3 stooges at the helm, DC and his 2 advisors. 

9 hours ago, Brian said:

Giving the job to Thompson - even just until the end of the season - was unthinkable for me a few weeks ago. My big fear is what another poster described well as the "substitute teacher" effect. It's a lot easier, though not necessarily easy, to be liked by the players when you don't have to make decisions over which players to drop or how to deal with disciplinary issues. Then there are unknowns such as his tactical ability and his ability to motivate players and lift them when the team's form dips. However, these are unknowns as things stand.

Now, I'm one of those who's starting to believe that he's our best option at this point, albeit for purely pragmatic reasons. Having had two matches postponed, the remaining schedule is going to be even more relentless and I can't see how anyone who comes in is going to have anywhere close to the amount of time they would need to get to grips with the squad and implement their methods. They won't have a transfer window to work with, plus little time to put together and embed a backroom staff. Thompson may not have much experience as a manager, but he is a very experienced coach who is respected by the players. He comes across as confident and assured in his interviews and he seems to be keen on the job, so I don't think he's going to be overwhelmed; I reckon he knows exactly what he'd be walking into. Besides, I'm not sure if there's anyone else left up to the task who really wants it anymore given everything that's happened to put them off both before and since Pulis's departure.

The substitute teacher effect is what Carlos had first season. Go out and play how you want and attack.
It created players with big egos, favourites, by my god was it effective.

Right now we need effective. There is no long term vision we can focus on. DC can work quietly in the background, find a new manager, find long term summer signings with 0 pressure of results.

Let the players go at games like they want, half them will be out of contract in the summer. We will only survive if the team enjoy their football, they are not mentally strong enough as a squad to do the whole "defiant last stand" as we have seen in countless games the last few years.

I'll take the odd hammering by a better team if it means we keep the current form and style we have. 

1 minute ago, BowOwl said:

The substitute teacher effect is what Carlos had first season. Go out and play how you want and attack.
It created players with big egos, favourites, by my god was it effective.

Right now we need effective. There is no long term vision we can focus on. DC can work quietly in the background, find a new manager, find long term summer signings with 0 pressure of results.

Let the players go at games like they want, half them will be out of contract in the summer. We will only survive if the team enjoy their football, they are not mentally strong enough as a squad to do the whole "defiant last stand" as we have seen in countless games the last few years.

I'll take the odd hammering by a better team if it means we keep the current form and style we have. 

Ultimately though, our fate will depend on whatever cutting edge we can bring in during this window. I’m pretty confident that Thompson could have us playing with a greater freedom, but currently, it will all fall down in the final third. Our front players, I won’t refer to them as strikers, are woefully inept at this level

• Like 1

It’s a pretty difficult decision to make to swap out even a temporary manager when he’s doing pretty well. 
We were doing well in the league prior to the COVID enforced postponement. Yes we were lucky in some cases (Derby particularly) but wins are wins. 
The Everton game didn’t tell us much really. Other than the football style under Thompson isn’t too awful. 
The key decision making period will probably come after the Cov and Preston games. 
If we do well I’d be amazed if Thompson is replaced. If we are beaten in both someone else will suddenly appear on Sunday morning!

The big thing about a manager needing to be in to maximise the transfer window already seems to have gone. It seems the manager doesn’t handle recruitment at Wednesday plus we don’t have any money (or certainly aren’t going to spend any). 
I always thought the problem was with the squad more than the manager. If we aren’t going to improve the squad changing the manager won’t help us that much. If we improved the squad (up front in particular) then any manager has a chance. 

I'm coming around to giving Thompson the season, he's done okay so far, he knows the players and they seem to want to play for him, plus he fully understands what he's getting himself into.

A new manager DC chooses worries me, it'll more likely be someone his 'advisors' have a personal interest in, someone who is either blind to the basket case we are or that desperate for a job.

Sometimes in life it's better to stick than to twist and go bust, I feel this is one of those times.

• Like 3

Being pragmatic I'd leave everything as it is right now (i.e. leave Thompson as caretaker manager).

All new appointments, be they players, coaches or managers carry with them a level of risk, which, unfortunately is something we can ill afford. NT knows the squad, knows the Chairman and the Wednesday 'set up', whilst many may say he's been lucky, he's managed to turn things round since TP's departure, we are playing better and getting results.

Personally I think we've a real cash problem at the club (as I'm sure others have) and I just don't think the money is there to sign a 'proven goal scorer' and new manager and coaching team - no matter how much we want and need them - I don't believe the cash is there.

I pointed out the similarity between us and Bristol City, where Hughton was nailed on and then they gave it to a first team coach. Difference is, if it had all gone wrong, their owner could sack him and save the season, whereas if it all goes wrong for Thompson it will be too late. This would be a massive gamble for DC and I just don’t think he’s a gambler who's prepared to see his stake devalued even more than it already has been, by getting relegated. 
Experienced manager with good contacts for loan players etc is an absolute must. 

20 hours ago, John Howard said:

Happy with him !!! Has the team playing some good football tonight . .Playing youth ,who are playing with confidence .Sensible substitutions.

Remember when under Monk we played Man City with 11 men behind the ball even when 2-0 down . Remember Pulis .

Experienced Managers who did not motivate the squad .

#Give him until end of Season . The players obviously play for him .

The more I think about it the more I think Thompson should be given the opportunity to continue as caretaker. For starters he will probably be far more motivated to do the job than the vast majority of usual suspects from the manager merry go round. Also he seems to be doing a very job under difficult circumstances.  

I’ve just watched the Sam Hutchinson interview and Sam gives the impression that Thompson has the players respect. Lastly DC is obviously currently losing a fortune in revenue so one huge bonus will be that continuing with Thompson will be far more cost effective. 

12 hours ago, mcmigo said:

The situation at the club is stark.  We cant pay players on time, cant afford any decent players and clearly have COVID issues in the squad.  We don't need some egomaniac like Keane, Pulis or any of these types to come in.   We just need an honest, no ego coach who is happy with being in his tracksuit, working as best we can with what we have got in the building as it stands.  NT fits the bill.

Let him and Bullen take this from here on in for the season.

And have a smooth transition to league 1

• Haha 1