Thompson

35 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

The more I think about it the more I think Thompson should be given the opportunity to continue as caretaker. For starters he will probably be far more motivated to do the job than the vast majority of usual suspects from the manager merry go round. Also he seems to be doing a very job under difficult circumstances.  

I’ve just watched the Sam Hutchinson interview and Sam gives the impression that Thompson has the players respect. Lastly DC is obviously currently losing a fortune in revenue so one huge bonus will be that continuing with Thompson will be far more cost effective. 

If they’d interviewed any players on the day Pulis took over, do you think any of em would have said they couldn’t stand the thought of playing for that Neolithic dinosaur? Plenty of them would have been thinking it though. 

Thompson is clearly popular with the squad, so if they have any reservations about his experience, they aren’t going to make them public. Behind the scenes though………

37 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

If they’d interviewed any players on the day Pulis took over, do you think any of em would have said they couldn’t stand the thought of playing for that Neolithic dinosaur? Plenty of them would have been thinking it though. 

Thompson is clearly popular with the squad, so if they have any reservations about his experience, they aren’t going to make them public. Behind the scenes though………

I agree with everything you’ve written. Putting myself in DCs shoes and assuming he hasn’t already found his man from outside the club, I just think I’d be tempted to give Thompson a longer run in the role.  I’m also thinking about the great job (in my opinion) that Stuart Gray did after becoming manager after working as a coach at our club. 

If DC has found an ideal candidate fair enough, but if he hasn’t (as appears to be the case) I’d rather he gave NT a try.

10 hours ago, BowOwl said:

The substitute teacher effect is what Carlos had first season. Go out and play how you want and attack.
It created players with big egos, favourites, by my god was it effective.

Right now we need effective. There is no long term vision we can focus on. DC can work quietly in the background, find a new manager, find long term summer signings with 0 pressure of results.

Let the players go at games like they want, half them will be out of contract in the summer. We will only survive if the team enjoy their football, they are not mentally strong enough as a squad to do the whole "defiant last stand" as we have seen in countless games the last few years.

I'll take the odd hammering by a better team if it means we keep the current form and style we have. 

That's true, but in Carlos' first season we had much better players than now.

Stick pre-Fletcher FF in this side and things would be very different.

I'm still yet to be convinced that Thompson is the man for the job, or that he's got us playing a more attacking brand of football, as many on here have told us in recent weeks.

In our league games under Thompson so far, we've averaged:

2 shots per game from open play, which is lower than our season average of 5.5.

7 shots per game, which is lower than our season average of 8.4.

• Like 2