Paul Cook

Wouldn't work

Yes men only at this club 

A foreign unknown desperate for a job or a British manager whose had more clubs than tiger woods 

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

We previously attracted Bruce who has a better CV than Pearson, you might argue.

The higher up the leagues you manage the harder it is to win trophies unless you’re at a huge club.

ie you wouldn’t say Pochettino has a poor CV (just joined PSG) because he hasn’t won anything would you 

We're in a worse position than we were two years ago though. We won't attract managers of the calibre of Bruce or Pulis now after Chansiri's public out first the other day. I'm not against a foreign manager but of the names being mentioned Cook looks the most realistic option right now. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

People also completely undersell our club and it’s size and attractiveness.

Yes were an absolute basket case of a club, but honestly look at what some of the managers on the continent have to work for! Some clubs abroad make ours look completely stable!

Totally agree.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

We're in a worse position than we were two years ago though. We won't attract managers of the calibre of Bruce or Pulis now after Chansiri's public out first the other day. I'm not against a foreign manager but of the names being mentioned Cook looks the most realistic option right now. 

Thank fizz for that

3 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

We are. But doesn’t mean we won’t necessarily attract anyone better than Bloomin Pulis. Quite a lot of managers won’t give a throw what has just happened with Pulis as long as their contract is right for them.

I accept the likes of a Bruce or established British manager might be put off by DCs outburst.... 

Plenty of foreign coaches would love the job at our club for a route into English football at a big sized club, because if they do well, then they could be getting really lucrative jobs in comparison to where they are now. 

7 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Cook is just the same as hiring Monk or Pulis or Bruce. Everyone keeps going on about that Wigan team last season. They had a fantastic run for about 2 months...so did Monk last season too. 

I think I’d gamble on another foreign manager again. 

To be fair difference was that Monk managed to turn a fantastic start into a disastrous run and whereas Cook turned a poor start into a fantastic run. CC, Jos, Monk & Pulis have shown how hard it is to turn things round when they start to go wrong. This is a big plus for Cook. He left Chesterfield, Portsmouth & even Wigan in a better situation than when he joined them. Jos, Monk & Pulis did the opposite 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Exactly look at Bielsa. No prem clubs were queuing up for him were they. They will be now though.

Absolutely,  I feel like Leeds did, we have an opportunity to go big or go home with this next appointment.  Before Bielsa rocked up there, their previous managers included Heckingbottom, Monk and Fat Evans.  I know Leeds are considered a bigger club.. but if someone like Fink is actually interested I would be giving him the job for sure.  It could seriously raise the profile of the club and help with PR, Transfers etc and hopefully results on the pitch too of course 

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

To be fair difference was that Monk managed to turn a fantastic start into a disastrous run and whereas Cook turned a poor start into a fantastic run. CC, Jos, Monk & Pulis have shown how hard it is to turn things round when they start to go wrong. This is a big plus for Cook. He left Chesterfield, Portsmouth & even Wigan in a better situation than when he joined them. Jos, Monk & Pulis did the opposite 

Can’t argue with that. I do think Cook is the best choice out of all the British managers. I just want something a bit different though. 

4 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Absolutely,  I feel like Leeds did, we have an opportunity to go big or go home with this next appointment.  Before Bielsa rocked up there, their previous managers included Heckingbottom, Monk and Fat Evans.  I know Leeds are considered a bigger club.. but if someone like Fink is actually interested I would be giving him the job for sure.  It could seriously raise the profile of the club and help with PR, Transfers etc and hopefully results on the pitch too of course 

The other thing is, often you spend more by appointing these merry go round managers, than having to sack them 6 months later. Then there’s the fact that every manager wants to bring his own players More expense. At least when you appoint a coach like Bielsa, he will work to improve the players he has

9 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Top post,  the ambition of the club will certainly be shown with the next appointment.   I will be underwhelmed if Cook is announced, yes he should keep us up this season but it’s not very exciting 

• Like 3

All these creaming themselves over Cook will be screaming for his head by the end of the season. He would be a terrible appointment. FFS can’t we think outside the box for a f***ing change? Viera or Fink for me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

What impressed me about Bielsa was how he managed to transform that side, alot on paper looked average players, and yet they played with such a high intensity and positive style of football.

Don't forget majority of that squad was there prior to his arrival, Klich had been out on loan in Holland before because he wasn't deemed good enough yet looked a major midfield threat under Bielsa.

Not saying our players are anywhere near the quality of Leeds but it does show sometimes a good manager can utilise the tools at their disposal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

All these creaming themselves over Cook will be screaming for his head by the end of the season. He would be a terrible appointment. FFS can’t we think outside the box for a f***ing change? Viera or Fink for me.

It could go badly no matter who we appoint.

Such is the the nature of football management, especially at a club which is run as badly as ours.

There were plenty on here who assured us Pulis was the answer and he'd soon see us safe, yet he did worse than Monk.