Paul Cook

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

All these creaming themselves over Cook will be screaming for his head by the end of the season. He would be a terrible appointment. FFS can’t we think outside the box for a f***ing change? Viera or Fink for me.

Viera?!  What's he done as manager? 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

What impressed me about Bielsa was how he managed to transform that side, alot on paper looked average players, and yet they played with such a high intensity and positive style of football.

Don't forget majority of that squad was there prior to his arrival, Klich had been out on loan in Holland before because he wasn't deemed good enough yet looked a major midfield threat under Bielsa.

Not saying our players are anywhere near the quality of Leeds but it does show sometimes a good manager can utilise the tools at their disposal.

Yes very true.  I also feel someone like Fink will be used to having players signed for him, certainly in Japan.  Whereas I can’t see Cook being that happy.

I know Fink could be another Cocu in the championship, but he could also be a Farke or Wagner.  But I feel that we know what we’ll get with Cook and that doesn’t excite me at the moment 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, belgrade_owl said:

He got relegated with most Grasshoppers, it takes a lot to do that in Swiss league.

Ignoring the fact they were actually in decline,  but I bow to your knowledge of Swiss football and how good the grasshoppers squad was at that time and their financial situation  

“However the club entered a period of decline after their last championship in 2003. In 2011 they would likely have been relegated except for Sion's 36-point deduction and Neuchatel Xamax's expulsion from the league in January, and eight years later, in 2019, Grasshopper were relegated to the second division for the first time in 68 years. “

4 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Viera?!  What's he done as manager? 

Just starting out, isn’t he? He would raise the club’s profile. He’d be someone the players would instantly respect. It might work, it might not but at least we’d be trying something different apart hiring the same old sh!t British managers all the time. We appoint Cook and the dressing room atmosphere straight away goes as flat as a fart in an astronaut suit just as we start to look more like a committed team again?

41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The other thing is, often you spend more by appointing these merry go round managers, than having to sack them 6 months later. Then there’s the fact that every manager wants to bring his own players More expense. At least when you appoint a coach like Bielsa, he will work to improve the players he has

Hmmm so Bielsa is trying to improve players that’s just had £60m thrown at it 

38 minutes ago, Jim said:

All these creaming themselves over Cook will be screaming for his head by the end of the season. He would be a terrible appointment. FFS can’t we think outside the box for a f***ing change? Viera or Fink for me.

Only reason I don't want Cook is that Biggs seems so desperate we appoint him.  

But honestly think he is the right choice, 13 years in management, worked his way up, done well at every club and never been sacked as a manager, big personality, his team's play on the front foot attacking football.

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl
  • Like 1

I just don’t understand in what universe Viera, Fink and the Poyets of this world are viewed as inferior appointments to Paul Cook.

Imagine we were a Spanish/German club, can you imagine a side like Hamburg or Espanyol having this debate and coming to the conclusion Paul Cook is the man over Patrick Viera etc because he won league 1 and 2 in the EFL? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I just don’t understand in what universe Viera, Fink and the Poyets of this world are viewed as inferior appointments to Paul Cook.

Imagine we were a Spanish/German club, can you imagine a side like Hamburg or Espanyol having this debate and coming to the conclusion Paul Cook is the man over Patrick Viera etc because he won league 1 and 2 in the EFL? 

Bang on pal

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

Hmmm so Bielsa is trying to improve players that’s just had £60m thrown at it 

Well yes I’m sure he will be, that’s what good coaches do He didn’t have £60m spent on last seasons team did he

In all honesty, who had heard of Fink before this??? Why haven’t other English clubs looked at Poyet in the last few years? Viera wouldn’t come to Wednesday and his management record doesn’t suggest to me that he’s the right fit for a relegation scrap with an unbalanced mediocre championship squad with a challenging owner to contend with.

DC gives rolling contracts by the sound of things so the next appointment doesn’t have to be the ‘one’. It just needs to keep us up imo.

Guest gizowl
54 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'm in agreement with thinking outside the box, Fink is a very intriguing option and if it happens I will fully be behind it my only concern is the timing of it. If we were a mid table side with a better squad of players and the running of the club was sound and healthy he would be the perfect choice. Unfortunately with the turmoil we are in off the pitch and a poor squad struggling to survive in this league I'm not sure it's the right time for this move. 

15 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

In all honesty, who had heard of Fink before this??? Why haven’t other English clubs looked at Poyet in the last few years? Viera wouldn’t come to Wednesday and his management record doesn’t suggest to me that he’s the right fit for a relegation scrap with an unbalanced mediocre championship squad with a challenging owner to contend with.

DC gives rolling contracts by the sound of things so the next appointment doesn’t have to be the ‘one’. It just needs to keep us up imo.

I'm surprised any keen footy fan more than say 20 yrs can't remember him as a player. He was a top player for Bayern Munich, not some obscure Bundesliga also ran 

• Thanks 1

I think it will be Paul Cooks job if he wants it,  will come down to wether him and DC feel they can work together 

For me, he’s the wrong choice I don’t think he will find a good working relationship with our owner but I hope to be proved wrong

4 minutes ago, dfoster said:

I'm surprised any keen footy fan more than say 20 yrs can't remember him as a player. He was a top player for Bayern Munich, not some obscure Bundesliga also ran 

As a player maybe, but who can say they knew much about his management career? I wouldn’t have thought many.