Paul Cook

Guest mrbluesky
37 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I won’t 

I leave all that to the ‘ban the nutters’ bot

Yep, like I said lol

Think Paul Cook would be a smart appointment, one which we should've appointed when Monk left at the time. Personally I'd like us to go for a foreign coach that has some experience over here or to look at lower league managers or coaches on the rise.

There's risk involved whatever type of manager we get, we've been burned by experience; inexperience, British and foreign managers during recent years. I think though, apart from Carlos and Bruce, that the rest haven't suited how we play or suited how the club is ran.

That's why, we might be best off targeting a foreign coach with experience of coaching over here under a similar set up or an modern British coach on the rise. Cook like Lowe, seems appealing has he at least seems more attack minded than our last couple of managers. 

Don't really understand why so many seem actively aroused by the idea of Paul Cook!?

He's done a good job wherever he's been and his team's play an attractive brand of football; but ultimately he's pretty unproven at this level and certainly hasn't managed a club with the expectations that we have here (whether they are reasonable or not they certainly do exist)

Don't get me wrong, I could see the reasoning behind giving him the job, I just wouldn't be walking around with a stiffy and expecting to shoot up the league.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

Don't really understand why so many seem actively aroused by the idea of Paul Cook!?

He's done a good job wherever he's been and his team's play an attractive brand of football; but ultimately he's pretty unproven at this level and certainly hasn't managed a club with the expectations that we have here (whether they are reasonable or not they certainly do exist)

Don't get me wrong, I could see the reasoning behind giving him the job, I just wouldn't be walking around with a stiffy and expecting to shoot up the league.

Didnt he take Wigan out of the bottom 3 last season in this division and  they lost about 2 games of their last 20 and beat Hull 8-0? 

Sounds experienced enough for me WTF:

2 hours ago, owls maniac said:

It’s a no brainer. Get him in. 

Track record of promotions unlike that fraud Monk. 

Plays good football. 

Very popular with the players. 

Big personality. 

Exactly what this fan base is crying out for.

monk - kept up a team in this league with a points deduction and off field problems 

Cook - took down a team in this league with a points deduction and off field problems 

Sheffield Wednesday fans - we have off field problems and a points deduction, let’s get rid of a manager who has never failed to keep a team up in those circumstances , and replace him with someone with a 100 percent record of failing in those circumstances.  

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I guess three promotions with three different teams is pretty impressive.

Maybe not as good as Warnock but still a strong record of achievement.

Plays attacking football too.

Best we could get. Great record that. All fairly recent too. We’re not going back 14 years like we did with Pulis. Monk had never been promoted in his career.

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

Without them going into administration they would have been above us...it had nothing to do with him

Well our points deduction isn’t his fault either, nor was it Garry monks .

but it’s there, we can’t pretend it isn’t.

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

is that important ?... i would have thought winning football is all that matters .

Hugely I would say. As I mentioned in the Joao thread, we will never produce quality footballers, and players that might be coveted by bigger clubs, all the while persist in percentage football. 
I dread to think about the detrimental effect on our younger players, had we continued with Pulis

• Like 1

Just now, mcmigo said:

monk - kept up a team in this league with a points deduction and off field problems 

Cook - took down a team in this league with a points deduction and off field problems 

Sheffield Wednesday fans - we have off field problems and a points deduction, let’s get rid of a manager who has never failed to keep a team up in those circumstances , and replace him with someone with a 100 percent record of failing in those circumstances.  

i backed monk but 2  different situations and cook if we get him  is replacing pulis not monk  .......cook didnt have a prayer of keeping wigan  up due to how late the deduction came . 

• Like 1

Just now, gurujuan said:

Hugely I would say. As I mentioned in the Joao thread, we will never produce quality footballers, and players that might be coveted by bigger clubs, all the while persist in percentage football. 
I dread to think about the detrimental effect on our younger players, had we continued with Pulis

you would put good football above winning football ?......big jack and wilko played percentage football and we all seemed to have a very enjoyable time getting promoted ......lets be right if your successful you dont need to sell your best players until it suits you . 

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i backed monk but 2  different situations and cook if we get him  is replacing pulis not monk  .......cook didnt have a prayer of keeping wigan  up due to how late the deduction came . 

Getting walloped for most of the season until the end didnt help them either.

53 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

100% my feelings on this. 

There’s a whole world of managers out there, which is why I don’t understand why Paul Cook seems a unanimous choice

• Like 2